+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Considering a transplantation, age 20

I'm basically just fed up with this hairloss thing that appetantly has been happening to my head since age 17. I say apperantly, cause at first I never noticed. Cause I have very thick hair by myself, and even though I'm approaching Nw3, I can still do a decent comb over, noticable to almost none.

I'm of coarse, using the known medications. My regime currently is; 1/4th of 5 grams finasteride pill 5 times a week, the other 2 days I use dutasteride. Combined with 5% Minoxidil of Kirkland which I apply religiously 2 times a day on the thinning hair and sometimes even more on the rare occation I take a swim or an extra shower. Been using finasteride since Oktober last year, Duta since April this year (or later, can't remember) and 5% minox since December (can't remember either) before 5%, I used a 2% minoxidil version since September last year. Occassionally I take a extra Saw Palmetto pill, and I drink plenty of green tea each day.

So I'm no newbie to this despite my age. Even got some regrowth near the temples, but it's nothing spectacular. My hairline still bothers me, a lot and I just want this situation fixed forever, if that's possible.

As it's only the hairline, and seeing as I've got LOADS of healthy donor hair and considering my hair status is stable, if not looking better than last year... I really don't see why I shouldn't fix this problem for myself. Especially cause I've suffered a great deal from this already, and still do to this day. I am really NOT considering shaving it all of. I'll honestly will not look better by it, only a lot more aggressive. Heard many people say the same, and to be honest: I like my hair long! It suits me PERSONALLY, and personally I just wouldn't feel right with a bare head. That doesn't mean that I won't shave it for a HT though, if it gets me the best results.. So be it.

Since I live in Europe, I've already checked out nearby surgeans and so far I was pretty impressed with Dr. Feriduni's (Belgium) results with patients. I've already send him pictures of my hair, and he recommended 1000 to 1500 grafts. I'm wanting FUE btw, so no scars or at least visible ones. Not that I care anyway, cause I'll be wearing it long anyway.

Now I'd just like to hear you people's opinions. My family history; father has slightly thinning hair at age 49. No baldness really. His father had awesome hair. My mother's side; both grand parents had baldness and my uncle has about a NW4/5 but he's in his late fifties. Needless to say, no other family member except for me takes or took medication for hairloss. And I'm also still thick in the crown, and top looks okay compared to most people.

I'll include pics in later posts if you'd like. But I just would like to hear people's opinions about this. In short; it's my life, and if I want a full head of hair for life, why shouldn't I get it with modern day technology where it's possible??

you're way too young. wait another 5-7 yrs and revisit the situation then.

Why? I'm already taking medications and have seen my situation stablised for what it's worth. Why shouldn't I do it, if with the meds I'm taking, theres not like a huge chance that it'll get worse?

no reputable doctor will touch you. PERIOD. Meds wont work well forever. If you are already a nw 3 at 20, you have a high probability of progressing to a nw6-7.

Im not going to argue with you. anyone else on this forum will tell you the same thing: you are way too young.

Although it is not what you want to hear, I have to agree with hdude46- you are very young to be considering hair transplantation. You mention wanting a "full head of hair for life" but, unfortunately, this might not be realistic a realistic expectation if your hair loss does progress later in life. If you begin hair restoration surgery too early, you may find that your hair loss exceeds your limited donor supply. If you reach this point later in life, you will likely wish that you had never begun the surgery process. You will see a lot of members on this forum, who underwent surgery prematurely, stating exactly that and wishing they could simply go back to a natural state of baldness.

It's great that you are using medical treatments as this will buy you time until we have a better solution or will (hopefully) at least limit the amount of hair restoration you will require over your lifetime. However, I think you will struggle to find a reputable doctor willing to work on you at quite so young of an age. I would advise you to postpone such a decision for AT LEAST 3 or 4 more years.

Well, I just want to go back to a NW2 hairline. A few hunderd grafts would work for that right? I'm not even NW3 yet, actually far closer to NW2 than 3. And if they transplant in thinning areas also, there's more possible gain than loss right? How much would a few hunderd grafts hurt?

True, I might want to wait another few years to be certain, but then again.. what's the point in waiting, if I want to fix it anyway?

Also, there are surgeans who want to help me. As I said before, Dr. Feriduni from Belgium has already sent me an invoice, so that means at least he is willing to help me. And I also got called by a Dutch hair-transplantation office today to make an appointment.

And a question; why do you people doubt medication so much? So far I think it has worked for me. Sure, I've seen better results online, but what works works no?

your phucking crazy to have one at age 20, I mean that in a nice way.

Listen to the advice people are giving you

Shave your head today to see if you have a nice shape to the skull, then let it grow back.

Haha not thanks! First reason is that my hair is LONG, and precious to me. And another reason is that I already know it wont work for me. One of the reasons for me to let it grow was always cause I hated my enourmous forehead. Got picked on badly for it when I was younger. Which is also where my fear for baldness comes from. And I can honestly say I'd hate if someone would confuse me for a skinhead. Which is what I would look like, without hair.

So hair for me is win, win while baldness would be a clear lose, lose situation. Its just almost crucial for me to keep staying hairy on the scalp. And i havent even named all reasons yet...

But as I said; I'm not expecting nor wanting it to be an extreme make over. I just want to fill in the hairline and temples, a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlocks View Post
    Haha not thanks! First reason is that my hair is LONG, and precious to me. And another reason is that I already know it wont work for me. One of the reasons for me to let it grow was always cause I hated my enourmous forehead. Got picked on badly for it when I was younger. Which is also where my fear for baldness comes from. And I can honestly say I'd hate if someone would confuse me for a skinhead. Which is what I would look like, without hair.

So hair for me is win, win while baldness would be a clear lose, lose situation. Its just almost crucial for me to keep staying hairy on the scalp. And i havent even named all reasons yet...

But as I said; I'm not expecting nor wanting it to be an extreme make over. I just want to fill in the hairline and temples, a little.
    Those days are over pal. Seriously everyone is shaving their head these days, with the exception of maybe musicians and even that is starting to change.

You have so many year to lose it and that one little procedure will lead to many more. Time, money, people will look at you different, at least some will, and what if it doesn't work? what if you have shockloss?

Just forget about it........

There is the possibility of Shock loss if you transplant into thinning areas where there is still hair so the gain could be less than you think.
    Since you have an appointment with Dr. Feriduni you might want to ask him to do a miniaturization exam to help predict future hair loss.
    Why don't you post some pictures so some of the doctors that frequent this forum can advise you.
    I think CTI_Girl has given you good advice stay on the medications and go as far as you can with them and then re-evaluate your situation in a few years.
    As far as shaving your head if you don't want to. Don't.
    I can name a bunch of famous people who are NW2-3 who don't care if their hairline has receded. They just have great haircuts.
    Most really good hair stylists can give you a longer cut and work around a receding hairline.