+ Reply to Thread

Default F*ck finasteride

Hello to all my fellow balding friends,

I have recently turned 22 - I have noticed for a while (maybe 2 years) that the hair above my temples has been creeping back, not necessarily noticeable to anyone apart from me when I pull my hair back but one day around 3 months ago I noticed it was getting considerably worse. SO, I decided to start taking finasteride around 2 weeks after much deliberation and research (which in hindsight a terrible thing to even consider when you have thick hair and not already noticeably balding) - around a week or maybe 2 weeks in to taking it, my hair starts shedding like crazy. This shedding literally has never stopped from the entirety of me taking finasteride and now I have gone from not even close to being bald, to literally my last layer of hair. It has also turned my hair lifeless, greasy and incredibly thin. For some reason it took me 2 and a half ****ing months and less optimistic research that I have decided that finasteride has been a horrible blight on my hair so I am now staying away from that shit. FINASTERIDE IS NOT FOR EVERYONE - please don't make the mistake I did as the longer you use it the more hair you will undoubtedly kill. I know I am not the only one who will and has suffered from this as I have read about a lot of similar experiences. Fortunately, the hair-loss has been diagnosed as a telogen efflivium as 95% of the hair lost had a small white bulb on the end of the hair which means the hair root is still active so most of my hair should hopefully grow back. I am simply issuing this as a warning - if your body reacts the same way as mine don't keep it going, attempt to find another remedy that works for you. Anyway, **** the long term effects of finasteride - it's not worth losing hair over, I don't know why it took me so long to realize that. I wish I could go back in time and never take this horrible scam of a drug.

Thanks for listening and let me know if you have had a similar experience!

Finesteride works great, where did you buy it? Genuine propecia?

Aren't all hair loss products supposed to do that initially? I'm not trying to be a smartass. When I started rogaine I lost a TON of hairs (and I had thick ass hair then!) and it scared me. But I kept using it and now I don't lose very many. It seemed like it was around a couple weeks too that I shedded significantly. Maybe it's the same? I'm considering just using minoxidil (kirkland brand is hella cheap) forever and just putting it all over my head. I don't know if it will prevent baldness though, but my doctor said if I don't use finasteride that's really the only way to go.

nah man, i know finasteride has killed my hair, i didnt even shed before i started i just had a bit of a receding hair line - now every hair i have on my head now is as thin as it has ever been. i also have a long almost bald strip which stretches all the way down my right temple which is becoming increasingly difficult to cover up. i look at photos from just 3 months ago and it makes me feel sick every day when i wake up and remember what ive done to myself. im trying to remain optimistic i dont know if any of it will grow back its been 2 weeks now since i stopped and i've started natural remedies which promote hair growth (e.g peppermint oil w/ jojoba oil massaged in to my scalp) and it doesnt make sense that finasteride could literally kill thousands of hair follicles so i think they should grow back. i just feel so stupid that i have potentially sped up my balding process by literally about 3 years is my guess in the space of 3 months. i also had very low libido, soft erections, flaky scalp and horrible flaky skin which started near enough instantaneously after starting finasteride so i dont know why i continued to take it for as long as i did. literally all the symptoms have now went away after 2 weeks of discontinuation - apart from my horrible wispy thin hair is still falling out because its as weak as ever. hoping for a miracle tbh but every hair comes out with a white bulb which signifies a telogen effluvium so i will update you in another 3-6 months to see if any of my hair grows back. i feel depressed and im too self conscious to talk to anyone about it because i dont think its that noticeable yet but if it doesnt start to regrow, my hair will be looking horrible by christmas. i am also in my last year at university and my hair loss is literally all i can think about - which is really deterring me from my work . honestly **** finasteride - fair enough if you have had a good experience but please be mindful that not every is as lucky as you.
    ps. thank **** i dont have permanent low libido that wouldve ****ed me up big time

Thanks for the info man. I would encourage you to talk to people about it - I do with my girl-friends. When I was in school (not long ago - a few months) I openly told my class I take rogaine and whatnot. It's never a big deal unless we make it a big deal. In the same vein - there's a lot of GREAT looking bald guys! Just working out will give you a lot of confidence (but stick with it) and just rocking it. I personally know a ton of very attractive women that date guys that are totally bald. Some of them are pretty jacked, others are skinny and have beards or other ways to rock it. I'm just saying don't lose hope, as it's your confidence that ultimately decides how things go for you. People really don't care about hair as much as we do.

And the same with balding! As much as I dislike the idea of it, like you, I dislike ****ing with my hormones even more. People can say whatever they want - DHT serves a purpose. It's there for a reason, and we are artifically putting that in our bodies and having our liver process it. All of those side effects DO seem more common than they think. I'm in the medical field and am very familiar with finding accurate evidence based practice (I read all the studies). I'm also skeptical of some of the experts here who have a vested interest in hair transplant doctors, and push their products. Best of luck man, thanks for the honest review on that stuff. I've had a bottle sitting in my bathroom forever...and will likely never use it. It was Voltaire that said "common sense is not so common."

Thank you Wook, I feel like we're on the same boat here. I'm not a bad looking guy so in that sense i guess im lucky - it's just the fact that I've probably taken 3 years off its natural lifespan by starting finasteride . But yeah, youre so right about potentially ****ing up your hormones - this sort of decision doesn't make sense considering it is entirely through vanity. Don't do it man - I still don't feel like i am back to 100% and it's about a month and a half since i stopped. Funnily enough though - the shedding has literally stopped in its tracks which is almost proof it was the finasteride ****ing up my hair. This has given a glimmer of hope for the thousands of finasteride-induced shed hairs to come back but im not getting my hopes up! will update in a couple months

Quote Originally Posted by wook80 View Post
    Thanks for the info man. I would encourage you to talk to people about it - I do with my girl-friends. When I was in school (not long ago - a few months) I openly told my class I take rogaine and whatnot. It's never a big deal unless we make it a big deal. In the same vein - there's a lot of GREAT looking bald guys! Just working out will give you a lot of confidence (but stick with it) and just rocking it. I personally know a ton of very attractive women that date guys that are totally bald. Some of them are pretty jacked, others are skinny and have beards or other ways to rock it. I'm just saying don't lose hope, as it's your confidence that ultimately decides how things go for you. People really don't care about hair as much as we do.

And the same with balding! As much as I dislike the idea of it, like you, I dislike ****ing with my hormones even more. People can say whatever they want - DHT serves a purpose. It's there for a reason, and we are artifically putting that in our bodies and having our liver process it. All of those side effects DO seem more common than they think. I'm in the medical field and am very familiar with finding accurate evidence based practice (I read all the studies). I'm also skeptical of some of the experts here who have a vested interest in hair transplant doctors, and push their products. Best of luck man, thanks for the honest review on that stuff. I've had a bottle sitting in my bathroom forever...and will likely never use it. It was Voltaire that said "common sense is not so common."
    As in the present report, the self-reported central symptoms can include mental cloudiness, difficulties with attention/focus, and memory problems (Ganzer et al., 2015). There is also evidence of finasteride altering other complex cognitive behaviors, such as motivation and reward.Jan 10, 2018