+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy short hairs falling off while using Rogaine

I’m a 40 year old woman with diffuse thinning all over my head. I started using Rogaine after one year and 3 months from the first time I started noticing my hairline receding. I’ve been using Rogaine liquid 5% once a day now for almost 6 months. I noticed that I started growing hair at my hairline/temple area at about 2 months from using Rogaine. Unfortunately on the third month I noticed that the hair at the back of my head thinned out even more. So at this point I only gained hair at the hairline/temple area but overall I have less hair in a sense compared to when I first started using Rogaine. My hair feels thinner. Another thing is that I see a lot of short hairs fall off after washing my hair. I can only assume that these hairs are hairs that rogaine helped me grew out but for some reason they are not holding up and are falling out, that’s why even though I regrew hair, my hair just feels thinner. It’s not filling up anymore.
    Have you experienced lots of short hairs falling out while using Rogaine?
    Also I still continue to experience shedding. It’s not as much as when I first started using Rogaine for the first 4 months but I have not experienced that almost non-existent shedding that people claim to experience after 3 or 4 months of Rogaine use.
    Has this almost non-existent shedding been your experience or are you still somewhat shedding especially short hairs?
    I would really appreciate your input. I’m getting desperate. Rogaine has in a way worked for me but at the same time I feel that my possible new hair regrowth might not be working since I see so many little hairs fall off. Please help.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
    I’m a 40 year old woman with diffuse thinning all over my head. I started using Rogaine after one year and 3 months from the first time I started noticing my hairline receding. I’ve been using Rogaine liquid 5% once a day now for almost 6 months. I noticed that I started growing hair at my hairline/temple area at about 2 months from using Rogaine. Unfortunately on the third month I noticed that the hair at the back of my head thinned out even more. So at this point I only gained hair at the hairline/temple area but overall I have less hair in a sense compared to when I first started using Rogaine. My hair feels thinner. Another thing is that I see a lot of short hairs fall off after washing my hair. I can only assume that these hairs are hairs that rogaine helped me grew out but for some reason they are not holding up and are falling out, that’s why even though I regrew hair, my hair just feels thinner. It’s not filling up anymore.
    Have you experienced lots of short hairs falling out while using Rogaine?
    Also I still continue to experience shedding. It’s not as much as when I first started using Rogaine for the first 4 months but I have not experienced that almost non-existent shedding that people claim to experience after 3 or 4 months of Rogaine use.
    Has this almost non-existent shedding been your experience or are you still somewhat shedding especially short hairs?
    I would really appreciate your input. I’m getting desperate. Rogaine has in a way worked for me but at the same time I feel that my possible new hair regrowth might not be working since I see so many little hairs fall off. Please help.
    Thank you!
    Hi Angelica,

I understand what you are going through because I am in a similar situation to you. I am 38 and have premature menopause and have diffuse thinning hair, like you said, requiring a hair cut and a halo extension to try to look normal. I was also started on Rogaine and Finasteride topical solution 2-3 mos ago and had a lot of shedding. Very scary amounts. The shedding seems to have stopped but I still have not yet seen any new hairs. The derm and Hair loss centers of America told me to use a laser cap. Have you tried other things besides just Rogaine? Also, has a Dr determined the exact cause of yours? Have they looked at all your hormones? The Drs now know the cause of mine, at least. They told me that if it's a hormone problem that's been going on for awhile (DHT), it can take years for the follicles to recover, and that the hormone problem would need to be addressed in addition to the Minoxidil. According to the endocrinologist, ferritin level should be checked too, if you haven't done that already. I hope it gets better for you. Both of us. If I can offer any of my own experiences to try to help, pls let me know.

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing that. I had a friend who was suffering from pattern baldness. He was told to take Rogaine every day, but luckily that worked for him. But he's stuck with rogaine for the rest of his life.

Take note that it's okay to shed few strands every day. You shouldn't worry too much as stress can also cause some problems. Additonally, you should look for DHT blocking shampoos as they can also help with the problem. And there are laser caps if nothing else helps.