+ Reply to Thread

Default Dandruff after hair transplant

Hi Anyone,

I'm a 28 year old male and my hair has been falling since the age of 20.

During this period I've found out that one of the major cause for hair fall is due to dandruff.

Now, I've decided to do a hair transplant surgery. I'm wondering whether this dandruff would come back again after a hair surgery leading to baldness again.

I would be happy if anyone of you could share your experience with me regarding this.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
    adams

Dandruff is actually not a direct cause of hair loss, though it does irritate your scalp and may be causing you to rub or scratch your scalp excessively, contributing to the hair loss you are experiencing. A good anti-dandruff shampoo to try, which has also been shown to have an anti-androgenic effect, is Nizoral. Nizoral should be used twice a week and you should leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing, to allow it to penetrate the scalp and work optimally.

Thanks for the reply CIT_Girl. The shampoo that I'm currently using is Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Moisturizing Treatment 1% which contains selenium sulfide.

Would this make any difference to reduce my hair fall?

It should help to alleviate dandruff which may, in turn, prevent hair loss caused by rubbing or scratching an irritated scalp. You may also want to start incorporating Nizoral into your routine, perhaps shampooing with it on the days you are not using Selsun Blue. However, it's more likely that the hair loss you are experiencing is a result of male pattern baldness, and the dandruff is simply a separate affliction. You may want to consult with a dermatologist to see if he or she believes you are experiencing MPB. If so, there are a number of medical therapies you can try to prevent further hair loss and possibly even regrow hair. The "big three" products recommended for hair loss are Propecia, Rogaine and, the aforementioned, Nizoral shampoo.

Once again thanks for the further information. I'll try accrodingly as you've guided. By the way, apart from that would a hair transplant be suitable if all the other alternatives fail to control the hair fall?

A hair transplant could certainly be a viable option in the future but I would not recommend you go that route unless you have first tried the medical therapies I suggested. There are two key considerations when it comes to hair transplantation: 1) hair loss is progressive, meaning that you must be prepared for the possibility that your hair loss will continue throughout your life and 2) your donor supply is finite. You do not want to jump into an aggressive transplant too early because you may deplete your limited donor supply, leaving you without adequate coverage as you lose additional hair. Top quality surgeons will help you develop a long-term plan for combating your hair loss but it is also important that you are proactive in trying medications, such as Propecia or Rogaine, which can help you maintain your existing hair for as long as possible.