+ Reply to Thread

Default Is FUT or FUE better for multiple surgeries?

First off, I apologize in advance if I'm double-posting, but the post that (I thought) I wrote yesterday isn't showing up. If it's still there, then mods, feel free to delete this one--and my apologies in advance if that's the case!

Anyway. Here's my question: I know both FUT and FUE have their advantages and disadvantages, but is one particular method more superior over the other as far as multiple surgeries are concerned?

I'm asking because I have chosen not to take finasteride. I've been repeatedly assured that the side effects are incredibly rare, and almost always stop when someone discontinues finasteride. I believe that, and I'm sure that if I took finasteride there's a 98% chance nothing permanently bad would happen. However, considering the side effects in question, even 2% seems too high a risk for me.

I have been cautioned that, since I won't take finasteride, my hair loss will continue, and that I will likely need a second surgery at some point in my life (I'm 34 now, with diffuse thinning in the front). I understand and accept that.

So, with that in mind, if I know I'm gonna need a second surgery, is it better to have two FUTs, or two FUEs?

No surgery is best route. If you really need to get this done, try with FUT first. But FUT they can slither and get better grafts. With FUE you are making blind extractions with hope of getting healthy grafts. Example, They may make 2000 extractions but tell you they were only able to extract 1400 as they seemed those were healthy.

Go to an ethical surgeon and not someone that may risk your scalp health overall. Very very few docs are ethical. This is coming from someone who had FUE and is trying to be repaired successfully by an ethical surgeon. I dont work for anyone or collect dollars from anyone here nor any surgical instruments company nor and medicine company, adverts, nothing. Just a guy goin through a rough time due to the actions of some folks.

Finasteride is risky but its a risk youll need to weigh. If you get body hairs done then you can also say goodbye to using finasteride due to adverse effects towards beard, body hairs planted on scalp too.

Two FUTs are probably better than 2 fues. Fue it if your maxed out if need be.

Best of luck

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Sean!

And yeah, I agree, from the research I've done--and I've been researching this for years--there's a ton of not-so-ethical/not-so-skilled hair surgeons out there. If I go the FUT route, I was gonna go with Hasson & Wong, and if I go the FUE route, I was gonna go with Dr. Baubac.

You are most welcome! Hasson and Wong are probably the best in all of Canada. I think you got good choices but remember, get a good game plan and keep the surgeries limited in size if you can. Megasessions are not healthy and extremely risky.