+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dr Cole, I appreciate the benefit of your knowledge and the time you are spending in the forum.

I would like if you're able to chime in on some questions I have regarding dosage - Specifically, I looked at the Polichem p-3074 studies where they is Hydroxypropyl Chitosan in the formulation that appears to keep the fin on the head and allow for a more sustained time release.

First, I saw somewhere earlier in the thread that people were discussing the dosing used in the Polichem P-3074 study.

The 4 doses used were 100μl, 200μl,300μl,400μl

With a .25% concentration, the finasteride concentration would be .25mg, .5mg, .75mg, and 1mg

Here is an excerpt from the study:

Methods: Two randomized, parallel-group studies were conducted. Study I: 18 men received 1 mL (2.275 mg) P-3074, applied to the scalp once a day (o.d.) or twice a day (b.i.d), or 1 mg oral tablet o.d. for 1 week. Study II: 32 men received P-3074 at the dose of 100 (0.2275 mg), 200 (0.455 mg), 300 (0.6285 mg), or 400 (0.91 mg) μL or the vehicle o.d. for 1 week. Scalp and serum DHT and serum testosterone were evaluated at baseline and treatment end.

Results: Change from baseline in scalp DHT was -70% for P-3074 o.d. and approx. -50% for P-3074 b.i.d. and the tablet. Serum DHT decreased by 60 - 70%. The doses of 100 and 200 μL P-3074 resulted in a -47/-52% scalp DHT reduction, similar to the 300 and 400 μL doses (i.e., -37/-54%). A -5.6% inhibition was observed for the vehicle. Serum DHT was reduced by only -24/-26% with 100 and 200 μL P-3074 and by -44/-48% with 300 and 400 μL P-3074. No relevant changes occurred for serum testosterone.

Conclusions: The novel finasteride 0.25% solution applied o.d. at the doses of 100 and 200 μL results in an appropriate inhibition of scalp DHT potentially minimizing the untoward sexual side-effects linked to a systemic DHT reduction.

So, here is the burning question I am having ... Actually three questions

First, they are pretty much confirming the actual finasteride amounts in Study II:

Question 1: How do you give men a 100μl (.1ml) dose? That's 2 drops from a dropper since there are 20 drops in a 1ml (100μl is .1ml) - How is that supposed to cover the scalp area?

Question 2: Also, would someone experience the same effects if the concentration was lowered by 1/5th to .05% but the dosage was increase to 500μl or .5ml? In other words, I would want to cover the scalp with more of the vehicle / solution. Does the concentration of the finasteride have anything to do with skin permeation as long as the same amount of the finasteride is delivered? Ultimately, I just want to get .25mg of finasteride on the scalp.

Question 3: Does the DHT inhibition relate to the precise areas of the scalp the solution is applied to, does it spread at all, or are the effects more systemic?

If you give .25% solution in a 1ml spray, you will be giving 2.5mg if finasteride, which I surely do not want.

Where do you guys find topical finasteride to purchase?

Could I follow up Paul2222s question? Im using a standard mimoxidil in the morning, around twelve hours after applying my 2% fin, and a organic tonic a further hour or so later. Am i risking excessive systematic absobtion? My thinking has always been to maximize the potency in a premium treatment by following with a cheaper one which might maximize penatrationany remaining premium product stuck on hairs or the epidermis. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by nobel victim View Post
    Could I follow up Paul2222s question? Im using a standard mimoxidil in the morning, around twelve hours after applying my 2% fin, and a organic tonic a further hour or so later. Am i risking excessive systematic absobtion? My thinking has always been to maximize the potency in a premium treatment by following with a cheaper one which might maximize penatrationany remaining premium product stuck on hairs or the epidermis. Thanks in advance
    Hey, did topical finasteride have an effect on you? Did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    We don't see many people having side effects from the topical finasteride, but side effects do occur. The side effects with the topical are similar to the oral form of finasteride. Often those, who have side effects are pretty sure they are going to have the side effects before they begin so I always wonder if there is a psychological aspect in some patients.

The 0.1% finasteride is equal to 1 mg of oral finasteride in terms of the quantity of daily dosage. Blood concentrations are less with the topical than with the oral version of the drug and DHT in the bloodstream is reduced less with the topical form.

I have many patients on 1% and 2.5% topical finasteride. I have less experience with topical dutasteride, but it is growing. Certainly, the addition of Latisse is fine. If someone is concerned with the side effect risk, I will usually start them at 0.1% finasteride topical and then increase the concentration overtime to get the desired response. I have been far more impressed with the growth of hair using a topical form than an oral form of the medication.

I am also a big fan of all regenerative products including exosomes, aminotic membrane, good quality PRP, and adipose-derived mesenchymal stromal cells. Of course, one has to have hair to see a response with these. If the scalp is already bald, you don't see much new growth. You can see improvement only in existing hair.
    Hello Dr. Cole. I was wondering if you could possibly provide some products, and where to get topical finasteride? Also, what is the difference in percentage of sides between oral and topical finasteride?

I think I have had a good result after about 10 months of high end topical finastetide. I've had the odd few weeks off too due to Corona and supply chain issues. I would say I've had decent thickening on the crown and behind my mostly transplanted hairline, where I was starting to get a gap when my natural hair continued to thin after my last ht almost 20 years ago. I'm a definite fan, especially if you live in a country where you can source it easily, like the USA, Belgium orItaly

Finasteride is a drug commonly used to treat male pattern baldness. It blocks the production of the hormone DHT, which is known to promote hair loss. Although finasteride can be effective in reducing hair loss and promoting hair growth, I think it causes side effects in many users, so I am against using it. My opinion is backed by hundreds of scientific studies, so if you have a different opinion, please go to controversial essay writing service to have enough information to argue with me.