+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride and liver health?

Hi everyone,

I've been taking propecia for 5 years and I've now stopped temporarily as I felt some abdominal discomfort in the liver area that had never occurred before.

My last blood tests showed some slightly higher values in the liver function test. Nothing above the ranges but since finasteride is the only drug I take and I usually eat very healthy, I'd like to understand the correlation between the drug and the results.

The leaflet seems to mention this possibility among the side effects, but I find it surprising that I could tolerate this for over 5 years and all of a sudden I have this problem.

Has anyone incurred in similar problems?
    I'd like to try again in a few weeks to see if it's the drug that causes the discomfort (now gone), but how long should I wait? Weeks? Months?

It's difficult to get a valid opinion from a doctor as dermatologists don't usually know much about other areas of the body and general doctors know nothing about finasteride, so you hear all sorts of things.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, this drug has the potential to impact liver function. But I haven't tested it on my own skin.

I'm new here and stumbled upon this thread while looking for some info on medication costs. I can definitely relate to wanting to save money on medication! Anyway, I wanted to chime in on the topic of finasteride and liver health. While I haven't personally taken the drug, I've heard from others that it can potentially affect liver function. Also, I found*a levothyroxine manufacturer coupon, which might be helpful too.*It's great that you're being proactive about monitoring your health and getting regular blood tests. As for how long you should wait before trying the drug again, it's best to consult with your doctor. They can provide personalized advice based on your medical history and current symptoms.

Finasteride, commonly prescribed for hair loss and prostate enlargement, has been linked to potential liver health concerns. While research suggests rare instances of liver enzyme elevations, the overall risk remains low. However, individuals using Finasteride should monitor liver function regularly. For those with diabetes considering Finasteride alongside Ozempic med consulting healthcare providers for personalized guidance is crucial to balance treatment benefits and potential risks.