+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplanted hairs not falling out?

Hi all -

Is it normal for some, but not all of the transplanted hair to remain in the transplanted area? I thought that it was an either/or kind of thing -- either you were apart of the minority of patients that would retain all of the transplanted hair or all of the transplanted follicles would eventually shed. I am going on 5.5 weeks now, and probably 85% of the transplanted hairs have shed, but there remains some hairs here and there that have "taken root" so to speak and begun growing. Should I expect these to fall out eventually? I have never heard of doctors talk about some but not all the transplanted hairs falling out.

Thanks!

This is very normal. Dr. Cole usually tells patients that they can expect about 90% of the newly transplanted follicular unit grafts to fall out. They should begin to return again at 3 to 6 months post-op. It sounds like you are right on track.

Hi there, yes it is quite common for a small percentage to remain and continue to grow for a while these will shed eventually though as it is part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionary View Post
    Hi all -

Is it normal for some, but not all of the transplanted hair to remain in the transplanted area? I thought that it was an either/or kind of thing -- either you were apart of the minority of patients that would retain all of the transplanted hair or all of the transplanted follicles would eventually shed. I am going on 5.5 weeks now, and probably 85% of the transplanted hairs have shed, but there remains some hairs here and there that have "taken root" so to speak and begun growing. Should I expect these to fall out eventually? I have never heard of doctors talk about some but not all the transplanted hairs falling out.

Thanks!
    Over the years, the instrumentation has been refined more and more so that the overall procedure has become less invasive, meaning less overall trauma. And I am referring to the instruments that create the recipient sites, blades.

More of the follicles are remaining in the growing phase post-op although for most patients, a higher percent still go into telogen (resting) phase around 3-5 weeks after the procedure. So even if only 15% remain growing post-op, that's still quite a change from say 5 years ago.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin