+ Reply to Thread

Default 25, COMBOVER, weird balding - w/ pix!

I'll start with a photo:

That's me at age 19. I'd had the widows peak since birth, and it seems to have slightly receded now. My hair is naturally very thin and the top has always been half as thick as the sides and a different color.

In 2007, I had very long hair. At the time, I was a musician, living the musician lifestyle - long spans of time with improper nutrition, high levels of stress, poor hygiene (including only washing hair once or twice a week).

During this time, I started to notice frequent shedding (I couldn't run my hands through my hair without bringing several hairs out). I'd never really had long hair before, so I thought it was probably normal. It kept up for a few months, my hair looked the same, I got bored with the long hair and cut it. No more shedding.

A few months after the short haircut:

Grew my hair long again in late 2008. In summer of 09, a girl friend remarked that I was balding in the back. I said she was crazy and dismissed her comment.

Fall of 09, a male friend remarked that I was balding after a rehearsal. I figured it was probably because my hair is just thin, and was wet from sweating - you could always see my scalp through wet hair. Hell, you could usually see it a bit through dry hair...at least on top.

But, I got a bit paranoid and began checking my hair frequently. The bitch of it all was, I'm one of those guys with the "en vogue" combover. That's how I do my hair when it's long, that's how my stylist cuts it, that's how I like it. I asked my stylist if I was balding - she said no, I've always had a "bald spot" and it's just the way my hair is. Asked my girlfriend, she said - no, it's just your cowlick. I've known both of them since before my initial shed.

I'd never looked at the back of my head in a mirror.

I didn't believe either of them, and shaved my head.

Bad lighting:

Better lighting, bad shadow:

Different lighting, bad shadow:

Front:

I do not shed and don't have the spry-looking hairs at the front, even though I've had some recession.

What you cannot see in the pictures is that, in proper overhead lighting at the correct angle, I can easily see a thinning pattern on the right side of the top of my head, going forward.

Thought I would share with you guys, since this has been a confusing hair-loss experience so far.

I was very emotional the first day about shaving my head, especially when it revealed a bald spot. Now, I'm much more relaxed about it but would like to find a solution before it gets any worse...if it does? I don't know about these things.

TLDR Summary:

-Always had thin hair on top
    -Girlfriend and stylist say I'm not balding, no change at all
    -No one in family history with MPB
    -Some temple recession
    -One period of shedding 3 years ago, none since
    -I'm convinced it's slow moving MPB

So, is it time to treat or could I make things worse? How should I start?

FYI, I have been using Nizoral 2-3x per week for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post

-I'm convinced it's slow moving MPB
    I'm by no means an expert, but if it is MPB, it is slow moving . I think you have naturally fine, fair hair, which contrasts less with the scalp.

I shouldn't worry too much. It looks great, shaved down and otherwise. Start treatments if it'll make you feel better, but if I was a betting man, I'd put money on you never going bald.

you know yourself better than anyone. if you think you're experiencing mpb, you probably are. at this point, it couldn't hurt to start taking propecia. in doing so, you just might keep the same amount of hair you have now for the rest of your life....and from the picks it looks like you have most, if not all of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    I'm by no means an expert, but if it is MPB, it is slow moving . I think you have naturally fine, fair hair, which contrasts less with the scalp.

I shouldn't worry too much. It looks great, shaved down and otherwise. Start treatments if it'll make you feel better, but if I was a betting man, I'd put money on you never going bald.
    Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I'm not worrying too much right now, but hate how thoughts of balding enter my head so many times a day.

One of my good friends went from a thin top in May to having virtually no coverage by Christmas (a couple of years back). I don't know what the normal rate of hair loss is, or even if there is one....but I always saw his as fast, and think of mine as slow.

I hope I never go bald, of course, but I do see evidence of what looks to become a silver dollar bald spot back there. Maybe a bit larger.

Quote Originally Posted by mkamph View Post
    you know yourself better than anyone. if you think you're experiencing mpb, you probably are. at this point, it couldn't hurt to start taking propecia. in doing so, you just might keep the same amount of hair you have now for the rest of your life....and from the picks it looks like you have most, if not all of it left.
    I agree. I think it was too subtle of loss at a longer length for my girlfriend or stylist to tell. Now that I've shaved it and can see the true thickness and am pretty unhappy with it in the back.

I can easily live with it as it is now, but I want to halt the loss where it is.

I'm moving to a new state and will have to wait until I get a new job with health insurance in order to see a doctor about Propecia. I hope that doesn't set me back too far.

I still want to visit a dermatologist for diagnosis and then maybe pay out of pocket at a hair clinic for a regiment that will allow me to keep my hair, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should do in the next 1-2 months before I find employment? Rogaine? Online pharamacy for generic Fin? Supplements?

Silverson I think your hair looks great I donīt think that you are balding, but if you are worried I suggest you go visit a dermatologist just to be sure.
    One option before starting propecia is rogaine 5% a lot of people have great results with it about mkamph comment it is not true that you will not stay with your current hair for the rest of your life but it will help MPB (if you have that) go slower.

Good luck.

getting finasteride online combined with some rogaine is a good idea. rogaine foam is good stuff as opposed to the liquid. as far as stopping the progression, i've been on a combination of pills and meds for 10 years and have kept the hair i have. in fact someone commented "you don't look like you're having any problems," referring to my hair. i have friends who have had similar experiences with combination therapy. horace may be right about not be able to completely stop it, but different people react in different ways. if you want to try something even stronger, dutasteride is the other drug that is effective at halting/slowing any further loss.

Wow, keeping my hair for 10 years + would be great. Congrats on your success. I don't have as much as I want, but I can grow it out a bit from where it is now and it looks okay. A little less would be ok, too.

I think I will get some Rogaine foam. I'm a little worried about the shed and the stories I've heard of some men never regaining shed hair, but I suppose it's worth a shot if I'm to catch it early.

Is there a commonly recommended online Pharamacy to get Fin?