+ Reply to Thread

Default DHT or Iron Deficiency or Both?

Okay, I'm going to share my story in the hopes that it will resonate with somebody and maybe get me some answers!
    I'm a 27 year old male, Ive been losing my hair for around 3 years now and at the beginning of this year, I noticed that it was falling out so quickly that in another year, I would'nt have had any left. I went to see Dr. Robert Bernstein in the city and he prescribed Finasteride(generic) and Minoxidil. I started on these in early March. I noticed my hair got even worse after about a month but I stayed on the treatment. After another 2 weeks, I started to see excellent results. My hair became stronger and stopped falling out and I could see noticeable regrowth. I took pictures every few weeks or so and the improvement continued through May and June and into July. Things were going better than I could have ever hoped!
    Then, something happened! All of a sudden, a side effect showed up out of nowhere,(ED), it hit me like a ton of bricks, I thought maybe it was just in my head for about a day or 2 but you quickly realize that this is unmistakeable! After another week I decided to stop the Finasteride just to see what would happen. Sure enough, the ED gradually went away and within a week, I was completely back to normal. I only stopped the FIN for about 5 days, then went back on it and skipped a dose maybe a couple of times a week for the next 2 weeks just so that ED would not come back. During all of this, my hair was still doing great. Then all of a sudden once I was back to my normal dosage, I started shedding like crazy! I mean terrible shedding! This has not stopped since(2 weeks and counting) and it is really scaring the hell out of me. My hair seems to be losing its strength that it had gained and falling out uncontrollably!
    About 3 days ago, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell had changed so suddenly to cause this. I had been on Iron supplements for some time and right around the time the hair loss started, I ran out and did not bother getting more. I did'nt put 2+2 together until I really thought about it, but this is the only thing that I changed around that time. I have read that Iron deficiency can be A cause of hair loss. I have been back on the supplements for 3 days now and I'm praying to Almighty God that it will help my situation. I'm wondering if Iron deficiency as well as DHT may be causing my hair loss and if both need to be treated at the same time in order to be effective. The combination of Iron supplement, FIN and MINOX worked once, so, it should work again, Right?
    If anyone has treated hair loss from an Iron deficiency or has had any similar experiences, Please let me know or if you have ANY advice as I am becoming desperate! If you took the time to read this whole post, I Thank You and welcome your comments.

What is your status now. Was it the stopping of the iron pills?

Been a While since I posted this and this is actually the first response! Probably about a week later, the shedding started to level off. I guess these periods of terrible shedding are just something that happens from taking these different medicines (Fin, Min). I don't think that the Iron supplements had anything to do with it. Its just that when these things happen, you really tend to try to pinpoint the reason why and at the time that was my best guess. What I have learned since i started fighting this problem is that NO ONE has all of the answers when it comes to hair loss! It seems to me that many of these so called experts just seem to recycle all of the same information thats been out there for the last 10 or 20 years and the Kicker is that they actually make $$ off of it. Taking advantage of very desperate people, I guess. Anyway, one thing that I have recently started taking(got the idea from another forum) is zinc supplements and Biotin supplements. I have been on them for 3 weeks now and I have certainly started to see some more improvement, especially in the hairline. in addition to the Minox and FIN, these seem to be the products that work for me and since its all generic, it does NOT cost me a fortune! Hopefully my 2 cents on this might actually be able to help somebody else out there!!!

It's not a good idea to take an iron supplement unless you need it. Excess iron damages the heart and brain and can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

If you think you are iron deficient, get a blood test. Don't self medicate.