+ Reply to Thread

Default The Thin (Hair) Line

Evening / Afternoon / Morning to all!

I’m 28 and live in the UK. I’ve found the forums really informative and have had a good read through but would like to seek the opinion of you guys.

Despite having always had a higher than average hairline I started suspecting it was receding a few years ago and luckily, this has progressed almost imperceptibly slowly. I wasn’t certain it was going on at first – but now am and there has been a definite receding at the front and above the temples. I have a small mole that used to be under the hairline and is now well out in that area.

There seems to be somewhat fewer AND thinner hair strands at the hairline and forward of my ears in the temple area than anywhere else. Fortunately the rest of it and crown ‘looks’ OK - for now. I’d say overall it’s probably at a Norwood chart 2 / 3 but without that much crown thinning.

I’ve been able to disguise this with a long-short hairstyle for a while but, on seeing some photos of me from above when I was sat down at a wedding, think that the temple area thinning (well my effort to conceal it) is becoming a bit obvious.

I've attached a few photos and what I’m wondering is…Would it be worth me trying out Minoxidil shampoo and Finasteride tablets? What are the chances of success if I do start ? I’ve read that it’s best to start earlier and can be more effective if your hair is thinning slowly. I should perhaps also add that I often use Nizoral shampoo for irritation and flakiness - especially near the hairline – as my skin is pretty sensitive generally.

Thanks to everyone for the forum, any advice / ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	5955   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5956   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5957   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	5958   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	5959  

It's odd how it can creep up on you, isn't it?

There are Finasteride naysayers, but I think the drug can be effective in most men so don't hesitate to give it a chance. You're very unlikely to see any re-growth, though. So if you're judging success by that then you'll probably be disappointed.
    It might be difficult to disguise that you're losing hair, but don't even feel that you need to disguise it. At 28 I'm sure you come into contact with many other guys with hairloss, some of them much worse than yours, which is minor and seems to be receded in a relatively pleasing shape (if you know what I mean.) The way you have it styled in the first photo looks good and actually does seem to be hiding your hairloss.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the reply and support…Definitely agree with it creeping up on you! It looks exactly the same in the mirror every time but takes a comparison with a few years ago to really realise what’s been going on.

You’re certainly right about coming into contact with friends etc. with a much bigger extent of hair loss so in that sense I feel lucky. In a roundabout way that’s what’s gotten me interested in making the most of that good fortune and looking at stopping any more loss. But, on the other hand since my hair loss so far has been slow I wouldn’t really be able to tell for a long time how well any medication was working or, if I opted not to take any how far or fast it would progress untreated.

Do you (or anyone else) have any advice or personal experience about the best way to try out Propecia / Finasteride and Rogaine / Minoxidil?

I think you need a private prescription for them here – I’ve seen the Belgravia Centre adverts but after doing a bit of research they seem a bit of a jip. Boots the chemist do a ‘Hair Retention Programme’ too.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by TJA View Post
    Do you (or anyone else) have any advice or personal experience about the best way to try out Propecia / Finasteride and Rogaine / Minoxidil?

I think you need a private prescription for them here – I’ve seen the Belgravia Centre adverts but after doing a bit of research they seem a bit of a jip. Boots the chemist do a ‘Hair Retention Programme’ too.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!
    I would personally recommend that you try finasteride for a year and see how you get on with it. If you maintain your hair then you can add the minoxidil for possible regrowth. Minoxidil is not a shampoo and can be a real hassle to apply. While it can regrow hair it does not do anything to address the root cause of baldness, which is why you should start on the fin first imo. You have made a good start with the Nizoral too.

The Boots programme IIRC supplies you with Propecia (finasteride) only and is around £45 a month. Yes you need a private prescription in England as it is not available on the NHS. Even then this can be a hassle as most GPs don't know much about the drug. A lot of UK people get their finasteride from a Dr. Ashcroft, whose details can be found in this thread.

You can also buy generic finasteride much cheaper online if you feel safe doing so. Minoxidil is also very cheap online.

I decided not to bother with Minoxidil because of the hassles involved with applying it. I think I would try it if I were thinning at the crown.

And yes, Dr Ashcroft is definitely the man to contact about Finasteride in the UK. I have been buying mine through him for years. He supplies generics made by Pfizer. It is 5mg like Proscar, so you'll need to cut the pills into quarters for your daily dose.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com