+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Propecia and Development

Hey everyone,
    I've been considering starting propecia for a while now, but had a question which I trust this forum with answering far more than whatever I might find on Google. I'm 22 years old, but I think I might still be growing; my 23 year old brother just grew an inch this year. I've always looked young (except for my lovely hairline) and I was wondering if propecia would stunt any potential growth/beard growth/any other development that comes with age. I googled the subject a little, but mostly found "Propecia is the Devil" type responses. So, now that I've gotten past my fears of propecia rendering my genitalia useless, I've just got this one last hurdle. Did anyone out there start propecia at a young age and continue to grow or find themselves in a similar scenario? Thanks for the help!

Doctor Representative

Red face

I ran this by Dr. McAndrews to be sure..... He is on the Medical Advisory Board for Merck and has a great deal of experience with Propecia.

We have started a few patients on Propecia as young as 16 and none of them have had adverse affects on their growth or development. By 22 you have completed most of your development and the Propecia would have no affect on your future growth or development.
    I am a representative for Paul J. McAndrews, M.D.
    My goal is to help answer questions about hair loss and hair restoration in an unbiased and informative manner. For more information on Dr. McAndrews, click here http://www.iahrs.org/DisplayProfile....%EA&sID=%B2%9A or http://www.hairgrowthdoctor.com/.

Thanks a bunch man! Looks like all that's left now is contacting my Doctor and getting the ball rolling.

Default 16 and propecia

Greetings. I am in the same boat - 16 and about NW2 already. What is the experience with propecia at this age? The post about suggests that there have not been any problems. Is there any more evidence? I am already 6'1'' but might grow some more. Thanks for any information you can provide!

I started Propecia at 20 and took it for 12 years. Due to an unrelated medical issue, I had to stop taking it 6 months ago (hopefully temporary). The only change in development that was apparent is that I did not grow much chest hair while on it. As soon as I stopped, my chest hair started growing. I think you're pretty well baked by 20 and especially by 22, so I seriously doubt it's going to stunt your growth.

As far as all the horror stories go, just ignore them. I took it for years along with several friends and nobody ever had any issues at all. I was not even aware of all the claims of "permanent side effects" until I researched stopping the drug, but my hormones went back to normal exactly like the manufacturer said they would. And the only side effect that I and all my friends have experienced is that we all still have our hair in our 30's and didn't have to spend our 20's fretting about hair loss. My advice is take the pill and forget about hair loss. If you're one of the 99 our of 100 men who can tolerate it without issues, then by all means do it and move on with your life. Your 20's should be about partying and meeting women and having a good time, not obsessing unnecessarily about hair loss.

One more thing - you don't have to plan on taking Propecia forever. You young guys have it made. Hold on to your hair for a few more years and there is likely to be a better solution coming along. Between Histogen, Acell, and future advancement in stem cells and hair cloning, I seriously doubt Propecia is going to be the only viable solution for much longer. And even if they don't come up with a magic solution, you can still stop the medication later in life. Losing hair in my 30's still completely sucks, but it's not as Earth-shattering as it was in my early 20's when I was single and thought I'd end up being a bald hermit.

Want some good advice from someone who took it for a long time? Don't take it. It will wreak havoc on your dick sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by skipstah70 View Post
    Want some good advice from someone who took it for a long time? Don't take it. It will wreak havoc on your dick sooner or later.
    Your situation is uncommon. I took it for 12 years without issues as do most men.

That's funny, I took it for about 12 years too. Tell me, since you also used the past tense... how did your body feel after you stopped taking it? This drug is affecting a whole lot more than your hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by skipstah70 View Post
    That's funny, I took it for about 12 years too. Tell me, since you also used the past tense... how did your body feel after you stopped taking it? This drug is affecting a whole lot more than your hairline.
    I felt totally normal after stopping. I had my hormones tested and everything went back to normal levels within two weeks. I promise you I had no issues during or after using this drug. I know some guys have issues but they are rare.

I think the guys that have problems tend to go online and find the anti propecia sites, get a little freaked out, and then go talk about it on all the forums. This just distorts the reality about this drug. I have spoken to several of the very reputable doctors on this board and all of them claim that out of thousands of men they have prescribed the drug to, about 1% have issues and they have never seen permanent sides. Unless they are all liars, I think that's pretty compelling evidence that the drug is pretty safe.