Jerry Cooley, MD | 6,617 FU Grafts| 59 Year Old Man | 2 Sessions - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Arrow Jerry Cooley, MD | 6,617 FU Grafts| 59 Year Old Man | 2 Sessions

59 year old man with type V hair loss. He was started on finasteride and on 05/17/07 he had 4, 060 FU grafts to the frontal half. On 10/31/07, he had 2, 557 FU grafts to the entire area, including the temples and crown. Although he has very fine hair, he also has excellent density and high number of 3 and 4 hair grafts, which can sometimes be interpreted as two follicular units. For a patient with a fine hair, we generally keep these together as one graft. For the patient with coarse hair, especially when doing the hairline, we may create two grafts (i.e. 1 and 2 hair grafts) instead.

His hair counts were as follows

grafts hairs
    1s 949 949
    2s 3065 6130
    3s 2020 6060
    4s 583 2332

# 6, 617 15,471

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	136Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	137Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	138Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg

Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	139Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg

Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	140
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg

Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	141Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg

Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	142Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg

Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	144Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg

Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	143
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Dr. Cooley! This guy looks incredible. I love this site and the fact that IAHRS surgeons are sharing pictures. It gives us so much hope and calibrates our expectations to what can be achieved realistically, given one's particular variables (balding pattern, goals, etc.).

I had a question. One thing I have read a few times is "donor density". Does this mean that every patient has a different number of grafts that can be harvested? Or, does every person have roughly the same number of grafts that can be harvested? Is there an average perhaps?

Thanks a ton and nice job in making this guy look like a rock star! :-)

TeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Dr. Cooley! This guy looks incredible. I love this site and the fact that IAHRS surgeons are sharing pictures. It gives us so much hope and calibrates our expectations to what can be achieved realistically, given one's particular variables (balding pattern, goals, etc.).

I had a question. One thing I have read a few times is "donor density". Does this mean that every patient has a different number of grafts that can be harvested? Or, does every person have roughly the same number of grafts that can be harvested? Is there an average perhaps?

Thanks a ton and nice job in making this guy look like a rock star! :-)

TeeJay
    I love this! Does not have that mechanical look like some that I see online. Very natural and works well with this guys age.

Awesome Doc

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, every patient has a different number of grafts that can be harvested. The results achieved will not only depend on the surgeons skills but will also depend on the 1) the number of grafts (and #of 1,2,3, 4 hair grafts) as well as 2) the hair characteristics (e.g. fine vs coarse, straight vs curly). One of the aims of the consultation process is to give the patient an understanding of what they can expect.

Dr Cooley
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cooley, MD View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, every patient has a different number of grafts that can be harvested. The results achieved will not only depend on the surgeons skills but will also depend on the 1) the number of grafts (and #of 1,2,3, 4 hair grafts) as well as 2) the hair characteristics (e.g. fine vs coarse, straight vs curly). One of the aims of the consultation process is to give the patient an understanding of what they can expect.

Dr Cooley
    I like this approach. Knowing what to expect takes away some of the trepidation. My biggest concern is the donor scar. This man looks excellent!