+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Graft Question

I'm thinning a lot in the crown, but my hairline isn't receding. I've been on the usual FDA-approved stuff to maintain what I've got, but I'm getting increasingly self-conscious of how little hair I have up top.

It's not as bad as a lot of guys, but I'm still not happy. I'm forever standing under a light looking sadly in the mirror.

I've heard about these 'undetectable' non-surgical hair things that get glued on to your head for weeks at a time without being removed. This is something being offered by Transitions (I'm in Australia).

Does anyone know about these? Are they really as good as they claim, or are they uncomfortable? Do they start becoming obvious after a couple of weeks? The idea of being caught out wearing a hairpiece would be humiliating to me.

Also... something being 'glued' onto my head for so long... is that going to cause increased damage to my existing hairs if I try it and decide it's not for me?

It's very pricey too. I know I want to be a bit pro-active and happy, but at about $2,000 / year you really hope it's worth it...

Please advise - I'm really uncertain about this!

Hmm... reading through these forums I see products like DermMatch being discussed. As most of my thinning is in the crown, this may be a better option.

It does seem quite labour-intensive, though? But at the same time, cheap and effective.

I'm thinning a lot in the crown, but my hairline isn't receding. I've been on the usual FDA-approved stuff to maintain what I've got, but I'm getting increasingly self-conscious of how little hair I have up top.

It's not as bad as a lot of guys, but I'm still not happy. I'm forever standing under a light looking sadly in the mirror.

Some answers....

Anything called "non-surgical" is nothing more than a hairpiece or wig. How long you attach it for is up to you. It can be a day or it can be 6 weeks. Personally, 6 - 8 days is my limit. It doesn't sound very appealing or sanitary to me to have something glued to my head for a month or longer. If the base is a solid material, scalp oil and perspiration are trapped underneath the base. Even if it's an open weave like French lace, I still want to be able to take it off when i want to, clean my scalp, etc.

It will not damage your own hair unless it is woven into your natural hair. If they want to do a weave, run away as fast as you can. You want to be able to attach with a medical-grade adhesive, which can be a liquid adhesive or double-sided tape.

Yes, it's a lot of money, so you need to decide what it's worth to you.

Thank you for your reply.

I decided to give it a try. It does look better, although I'm still getting used to it. I don't think I'll continue with it though; it's so incredibly expensive that I don't think I can afford it.