+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feel Good Story

Default Feel Good Story

Hey everybody,

I am 23 years old and have been losing hair since I was 17 years old. Man, I had a full head of long hair and I remember pulling hair out at will. My self consciousness has died down over the years and I have learned to accept that sometimes you get dealt a bad hand. I tried propecia and rogaine but never stuck with them on a consistent basis. Propecia lowered my sex drive, and I usually did rogaine once a day. My hair is still here after 6 years, its thin but not bad. I keep it shaved, and I shaved it to the scalp one time and got a few compliments to know that I can still be good looking the day I go "clean". I was told I look mean like brian urlacher by my brother and his friends and a random girl complimented me on my facial features that day. That felt good, knowing that there is hope even after you lose your hair. With my degree I am getting, I wont be able to afford the constant hair loss products and also the time to use them. (wildlife biology) I will be working and living in remote conditions and probably will not have a home for a while. I have made the decision to let it go, and concentrate on other aspects of my life, like career, personality and personal happiness. I used to envy other people's hair and did the "why me?" thing but it never got me anywhere. I live life like I dont even know whats on my head. I understand people see the thinning features of my head and I know their thinking "I am glad thats not me" but I feel it makes me stronger to know that I can overcome something like this and still keep a smile on my face. I always think if they only knew..if they only knew... haha. The only thing I was concerned about with hairloss was meeting women, but I have found out that some women prefer bald men over men with hair and the opposite. My whole attitude right now is completely new, a year ago it would be different. I am accepting it and loving it. Another thing I have found, is that lifting weights and concentrating on making your body look good helps with the ladies.

I guess this is a feel good post, and for anyone going through hair loss it takes time to accept it. You also have to make the decision if you are going to spend the countless dollars on hair products or let it go. I chose the latter and I am not looking back. I have my bald heroes, Larry David, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham. These guys give me some inspiration, from the bad assness of Bruce and Jason to the Funny as hell Larry David. Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, it is hilarious and he always jokes about his baldness. He says he always nods to his bald brothers lol, and one episode picks a bald chef because he was bald at the interview than finds out later he wears a wig than fires him. There are plenty of bald jokes in the show, and if you are going through what I went through it helps to put a little humor into your life about it. Anyways, good luck and I hope what I had to say might give you a different perspective on the subject rather than taking all the crap out there. I like the all-natural route and believe that there "will be" side effects from taking all that stuff. Cheers All!!

Bluegrasshoppa: Great post! I read stories like yours and feel great. The fact that you've accepted hair loss proves you're stronger than it, and what others may say or think. I think your post will inspire many, and even though I have made the choice to fight my own hair loss (Propecia and hair transplants), your story still inspires. Nicely done man!

TeeJay

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasshoppa View Post
    Hey everybody,

I am 23 years old and have been losing hair since I was 17 years old. Man, I had a full head of long hair and I remember pulling hair out at will. My self consciousness has died down over the years and I have learned to accept that sometimes you get dealt a bad hand. I tried propecia and rogaine but never stuck with them on a consistent basis. Propecia lowered my sex drive, and I usually did rogaine once a day. My hair is still here after 6 years, its thin but not bad. I keep it shaved, and I shaved it to the scalp one time and got a few compliments to know that I can still be good looking the day I go "clean". I was told I look mean like brian urlacher by my brother and his friends and a random girl complimented me on my facial features that day. That felt good, knowing that there is hope even after you lose your hair. With my degree I am getting, I wont be able to afford the constant hair loss products and also the time to use them. (wildlife biology) I will be working and living in remote conditions and probably will not have a home for a while. I have made the decision to let it go, and concentrate on other aspects of my life, like career, personality and personal happiness. I used to envy other people's hair and did the "why me?" thing but it never got me anywhere. I live life like I dont even know whats on my head. I understand people see the thinning features of my head and I know their thinking "I am glad thats not me" but I feel it makes me stronger to know that I can overcome something like this and still keep a smile on my face. I always think if they only knew..if they only knew... haha. The only thing I was concerned about with hairloss was meeting women, but I have found out that some women prefer bald men over men with hair and the opposite. My whole attitude right now is completely new, a year ago it would be different. I am accepting it and loving it. Another thing I have found, is that lifting weights and concentrating on making your body look good helps with the ladies.

I guess this is a feel good post, and for anyone going through hair loss it takes time to accept it. You also have to make the decision if you are going to spend the countless dollars on hair products or let it go. I chose the latter and I am not looking back. I have my bald heroes, Larry David, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham. These guys give me some inspiration, from the bad assness of Bruce and Jason to the Funny as hell Larry David. Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, it is hilarious and he always jokes about his baldness. He says he always nods to his bald brothers lol, and one episode picks a bald chef because he was bald at the interview than finds out later he wears a wig than fires him. There are plenty of bald jokes in the show, and if you are going through what I went through it helps to put a little humor into your life about it. Anyways, good luck and I hope what I had to say might give you a different perspective on the subject rather than taking all the crap out there. I like the all-natural route and believe that there "will be" side effects from taking all that stuff. Cheers All!!
    Hey Bluegrasshoppa,

That was a powerful post! Stop by once in a while, you can be a true inspiration to many. Enjoy your life kid, I’m glad you got past it early!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Hey Bluegrasshoppa,

That was a powerful post! Stop by once in a while, you can be a true inspiration to many. Enjoy your life kid, I’m glad you got past it early!
    Great Post. I wish I was a strong as you are. I waisted a lot of time in my life being down about my thinning hair. It has been difficult for me. But I've gotten much better over the years.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great responses! I am pretty happy *now* that I started losing my hair when I was 17. I can't imagine living a good chunk of my adult life with hair than all of a sudden lose it. I think its good to have an identity, and you probably lose that once the hair starts falling out. My only problem was during those 6 years, I felt I was losing my identity every day when I would brush my hand through my hair and find a couple more hairs. I battled depression, social anxiety and withdrawal. It was a rough 6 years, but I have come out on top. I feel blessed that I have a good head to go bald with. I know some people don't have this choice and I respect your decision to try and keep the hair. I can't imagine all the stories I have heard from you guys especially with the surgery mishaps. My decision was easy, and my heart goes out to you guys who have to keep fighting the battle. Its not an easy one, and I hope all of you reach a sense of peace within yourself some day. I guess if anyone cares to know how I did it, its to keep a good attitude. "I will be happy with or without her." The only reason I cared was to meet women. I am sure people have different concerns, but that is what worked for me. Good Luck

Hey, Bluegrasshoppa, I'm glad to hear that you've come to terms with your hairloss. You're really fortunate that you don't look bad with a shaved head. I, on the other hand, look horrible without a full head of hair. The back of my head is flat, and my skull just isn't shaped in a way that can carry short hair/shaved looks well.
    That's one of the big reasons why I've been deeply depressed for the last few years. I used to be a pretty good looking guy. Girls would tell me I'm good looking all the time, and I was pretty confident. I had a full head of movie-star hair that was so thick it wouldn't move even on a windy day.
    Losing 60% of my hair density in a year and a half has been brutal. I've become alot more withdrawn socially. I stopped trying to look nice, and I haven't bought any nice clothes in a year.
    At this point, I don't even care if I never get my old hair back. I would even take a nicely shaped skull so I can buzzcut my hair, but I can't. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have no idea what to do, and the depression is getting worse everyday. I'm even getting suicidal thoughts, even though I would never go through with it. There really isn't much in my life that I wouldn't give to have my confidence/happiness back.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckerine11 View Post
    Hey, Bluegrasshoppa, I'm glad to hear that you've come to terms with your hairloss. You're really fortunate that you don't look bad with a shaved head. I, on the other hand, look horrible without a full head of hair. The back of my head is flat, and my skull just isn't shaped in a way that can carry short hair/shaved looks well.
    That's one of the big reasons why I've been deeply depressed for the last few years. I used to be a pretty good looking guy. Girls would tell me I'm good looking all the time, and I was pretty confident. I had a full head of movie-star hair that was so thick it wouldn't move even on a windy day.
    Losing 60% of my hair density in a year and a half has been brutal. I've become alot more withdrawn socially. I stopped trying to look nice, and I haven't bought any nice clothes in a year.
    At this point, I don't even care if I never get my old hair back. I would even take a nicely shaped skull so I can buzzcut my hair, but I can't. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have no idea what to do, and the depression is getting worse everyday. I'm even getting suicidal thoughts, even though I would never go through with it. There really isn't much in my life that I wouldn't give to have my confidence/happiness back.
    Hey Buckerine,

I am not that perfect either, I have a bit of an underbite and my jaw is a little crooked. I felt when I was going bald, that I needed to have immaculate facial features and I had trouble with going "clean" because of it. The problem was, was that I put a lot of emphasis on it and my depression grew. I have a 3 moles right by my ear that really bothered me as well which i covered up with side burns. I felt disfigured in my own mind. The problem for me was that I let these things control me, I think its hard to put it into words but I am trying my best. I put so much thought into my wrongs that I felt everyone else saw them in the same light as I had. You may be putting too much emphasis on your looks, like I did. Is this hair loss recent? If so, it is going to take some time to accept it.(took me 6 years) I think personally that hair loss is a blessing because I care less about what I look like now. I am not checking my hair, or buying hair spray, spending money on hair cuts and looking in the mirror every hour to see how many hairs I lost. I just live my life, pursue my interests, focus on my career and hopefully find a girl that will like me for me. There is a lot of people in this world, all you need to find is one. If she can't accept you for being bald, than she wasn't worth it anyways. Also, some of the things women have told me about bald men. 1) If it starts getting messy or patchy, shave it. 2) Show confidence in yourself 3) Some women prefer bald men, and some will never date a bald man 4) The biggest thing is personality, women care less about looks than you think.

Tips for overcoming baldness

1)Work out, join a gym and take lessons to learn how to do it correctly if you are not experienced.
    2)Find hobbies outside your home(frisbee golf,ultimate frisbee, rock climbing, fishing,skiing)
    3)Find ways to laugh i.e. Watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm", comedy clubs, read jokes online, SNL
    4)Read some good books
    If you stay physically fit, show that you have interests, make people laugh or laugh with them, and exhibit intelligence than you will be on a good path to happiness.

I think as far as having suicidal thoughs, (I have had them as well) you should seek professional help and talk to a psychiatrist. Its not healthy to let your looks control your life. Good luck brother, if you ever need to chat than hit me up. I hope this helped, it is a painful experience losing your hair but you are not alone!!