+ Reply to Thread

Question Shock loss, or permanently screwed?

Hi everyone. So I had FUT in February and I'm a bit over 3.5 months post-op. I have a trichophytically closed scar that has apparently "stretched" in spots according to the doctor. I knew stretching could happen, but considering I have very thick, tight collagen-rich skin (including a tight scalp), I was surprised it happened with me. Perhaps that's my fault, though the scar was looking thin a few weeks post-op.

I was hoping these bald areas along the scar would be temporary, as in shock loss that would eventually fill in with hair.

My doctor was pretty straight forward in their pessimism that it'll fill in. They weren't sure either way and said I'd have to wait, but seemed to doubt there'd be any filling-in of hair along the scar from here on out.

What do you think? The hair is shaved down to a 3 guard in these photos. Any chance some hair fills in or am I suck with this wide line of hairlessness permanently?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_111910.jpg

Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	62932

Hey,
    Please don not worry ! Very normal and you are only 3.5 months post op. Give it 4/6 more weeks and the hair that's gone into shock will regrow back. Dont worry!
    Seen this happen countless times and Ive counselled many regarding it over the years.
    Regards
    Spex
    https://spexhair.com
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Thank you, Spex. I've been following your posts and advice online since I started researching hair transplants and know you have a ton of knowledge. I'm relieved to read that you think this is just shock loss and not just permanently lost hair because of a widened scar. I hope you're right! I'll try to be patient.

Be patient man and please revert back in 1-2 months. Grow well!
    Regards
    Spex
    https://spexhair.com

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hi Spex, all,

About 5 weeks since I posted this, seems like there's been no change . Running out of hope and patience that I'll ever be able to wear my hair shorter than a no. 5 on the back again. I had my FUT done by one of the most reputable names in the business, so I'm trying to remain hopeful despite my disappointment. Can't help but try and really suppress feelings of regret right now.

Also trying to accept my fate in case things don't change. If Spex's estimated timeline is correct, I'm in the last possible month of possible regrowth. If that hair along the scar line doesn't regrow by the end of July, it would seem by most estimates that it'll never return.

Name:	sc1.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	63493Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2.jpg

Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	63494Click image for larger version

Name:	sc3.jpg

Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	63495

You are not “ at the last possible month” be patient hair takes time to grow. Even at 4/5 months it’s only STARTING to grow - it needs them time to grow and establish some length and maturity. It might well come through very fine and weak.

Be patient - I know it’s tough but scrutinising it constantly will ....... surprise surprise ..... only make it worse and it will take LONGER !!!!!

Put it down and look at it for 10 secs max 1 x a week if you must.

A watch kettle NEVER boils !!!

Time line in total to know you’ve turned a corner -6/8 months from point of surgery.

My shockloss with all due respect blows this out the water and it ALL came back ...... just saying

Regards
    Spex
    https://Spexhair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    You are not “ at the last possible month” be patient hair takes time to grow. Even at 4/5 months it’s only STARTING to grow - it needs them time to grow and establish some length and maturity. It might well come through very fine and weak.

Be patient - I know it’s tough but scrutinising it constantly will ....... surprise surprise ..... only make it worse and it will take LONGER !!!!!

Time line in total to know you’ve turned a corner -6/8 months from point of surgery.

My shockloss with all due respect blows this out the water and it ALL came back ...... just saying

Regards
    Spex
    Thanks again, Spex. Your response is comforting. I just wonder why my doctor is much less committal on the shockloss returning, even pessimistic. Regardless, I'll try to heed your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Regards
    Spex
    Spex, is it common to see shock loss occur ~2.5 months after the procedure? I am experiencing loss in my donor area after my third FUT procedure and feeling pretty nervous. I'm not sure if it's related but that area seems to be more sensitive with intermittent periods of warmth.

9 months out, it still hasn't returned. My hair is cut down to a 2 guard on the back.

I don't want to discourage people from getting FUT. I want to let them know that even if they choose one of the most renown surgeons in the game - trichophytic closure and all - this could very well be the result in your donor area. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it. It's a catch 22 considering the lower success rate of FUE, but as it turns out I'm not the best candidate for FUE anyway. For the record, my FUT procedure has worked well in my recipient area (front 1/3 of my scalp).

Name:	20191108_143844.jpg

Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	65004

How does it look long? Isn't the point to let hair grow over the FUT scar? you can easily get SMP to cover it as well.