+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplanted hair losing density after HT done 7 years ago

Hi, I’ve just joined here.

I was a Norwood 6 and had a hair transplant 7 years ago.

I was pleased with the result, and though I didn’t have enough hairs transplanted to cover the crown of my head, the front part of my head was fairly well covered. I would have had another HT later to add more density but couldn’t afford it.

In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that the density of the transplanted hair has diminished, and I can see through to my scalp. I’m hoping that this is due to the telogen phase of the hair cycle rather than the transplanted hairs beginning to fall out permanently. I read that the telogen phase comes every 6 or 7 years so one is due for me around now.

In the past 5 months (until I discovered the hair loss) I had been using dry shampoo and also volumizing mouse on my hair, and maybe this has something to do with the hair loss.

Also I have been drinking whey protein shakes each day for about 8 months, and maybe this is also is connected to the hair loss. I read that whey protein can have negative affects on hair growth.

I don’t think the hair loss is due to seasonal shedding, as I haven’t noticed any such shedding to a great extent—just a few stray hairs now and then in the sink.

The current lack of density problem looks as if it could be more serious. I hope not.

I’d be grateful for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Addendum View Post
    Hi, I’ve just joined here.

I was a Norwood 6 and had a hair transplant 7 years ago.

I was pleased with the result, and though I didn’t have enough hairs transplanted to cover the crown of my head, the front part of my head was fairly well covered. I would have had another HT later to add more density but couldn’t afford it.

In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that the density of the transplanted hair has diminished, and I can see through to my scalp. I’m hoping that this is due to the telogen phase of the hair cycle rather than the transplanted hairs beginning to fall out permanently. I read that the telogen phase comes every 6 or 7 years so one is due for me around now.

In the past 5 months (until I discovered the hair loss) I had been using dry shampoo and also volumizing mouse on my hair, and maybe this has something to do with the hair loss.

Also I have been drinking whey protein shakes each day for about 8 months, and maybe this is also is connected to the hair loss. I read that whey protein can have negative affects on hair growth.

I don’t think the hair loss is due to seasonal shedding, as I haven’t noticed any such shedding to a great extent—just a few stray hairs now and then in the sink.

The current lack of density problem looks as if it could be more serious. I hope not.

I’d be grateful for any advice.
    I had transplants almost 40 years ago. After three or so years, I slowly began to continue to lose hair in fits and starts. Things would stabilize for a few years, then my hair would thin some more. This process has continued to the point that despite having had transplants, I now have the appearance of less hair than before I got the transplants. And that despite taking DHT blockers for the past twenty years.

I’m sorry to hear that, Ahab. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be my fate. If it does, I don’t think I’ll have another HT given the seemingly hit and miss nature of transplanted hairs’ survival prospects over many years—for some people, not all, I should add.

If wearing a hairpiece weren’t such a stigma, I’d have got one years ago. I wonder why it is acceptable in our culture for women to be open about their wearing wigs yet for men it is seen as a sign of insecurity or vanity?

The thing with a hairpiece is that it’s hard to keep it a secret—especially if you need to date women, and become physically intimate with them in the process. I wonder if it is possible to make love to a woman without her knowing you have a hairpiece? These days, I suppose, hairpieces are very resilient, and I’ve seen videos of men wearing them in the shower and even swimming under water with them.

But to go back to my original post, is there anyone out there who can give me some advice or information as to what the density loss of my HT could be due to?

I’m a bit surprised by the lack of responses to my post. Surely a few of you out there must have some opinion as to what’s going on.