+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default strip scar removal DR.????

I have been doing a bit of research, about doing something, to hide my thin, 6" long, strip scar from my 1999 hair trans. I didnt have too much done, so my scar is relatively small ,compare to others Ive seen. I want to shave my head now, but the scar bothers me alot. From what I have read, the best results are coming from the procedure, where they transplant grafts into the scar. Can anyone suggest a really reputable surgeon for this procedure, in the NYC or surrounding area? Thanks!

I think Dr. Alan Feller does this type of repair work on a regular basis. I would check with all the New York IAHRS doctors www.iahrs.org to see what suggestions they offer.
    Good luck!

Thank you!

mikeGWL,

Check with Dr. Bob True in Manhattan. He's been around and does excellent work in strip, FUE and repair.

Best wishes to you in getting this small scar fixed.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Mike, before you transplant any grafts into your scar area one thing you have to make sure of is that you are all done doing hair transplants for the rest of your life. Then if you want to put in grafts into the scar then that is your decision. What I did was took care of two birds with one stone. I had them do a density session along with removing my old scar-with the new stripe and used a facial plastic surgery type closure and ended up with a scar as thin as making a line with a ball point pen. I did not waste my good grafts in the back area and just had good workmanship done with my density session plus I got more hair. Wait and think about it before you do something like that because odds are you will want more hair in the future to fill in the little spaces that you are left with now. Good Luck! Navy Seal

Thank everyone! I have contacted dr fellar, he actually did my original procedure. Havent heard back yet though. Also contacted dr true.

Default Referrals for Buffalo, NY, and western NY?

Hi, all:

I'm in the same boat and found this site through my searches for some kind of remedy for the hideous scar I have. Unfortunately, I started losing my hair in college and was so self-conscious about it. I ended up having two transplants and one scalp reduction. The results looked fine for a while but they never looked natural, and over time I've lost what little I had left. I don't mind being bald, and now I keep my hair shaved or trimmed very short, but of course the awful scars are easy to see.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good doctor in Buffalo, NY or around western NY? I have any appt for a consultation with the doctor who originally did the transplants about 15 yrs ago, but I'm unsure if I trust his skills in cleaning up what he did. I'm sure the technology and process has improved in 15 years but I don't want to fall prey to poor work and still have to deal with this scar.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan212 View Post
    Hi, all:

I'm in the same boat and found this site through my searches for some kind of remedy for the hideous scar I have. Unfortunately, I started losing my hair in college and was so self-conscious about it. I ended up having two transplants and one scalp reduction. The results looked fine for a while but they never looked natural, and over time I've lost what little I had left. I don't mind being bald, and now I keep my hair shaved or trimmed very short, but of course the awful scars are easy to see.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good doctor in Buffalo, NY or around western NY? I have any appt for a consultation with the doctor who originally did the transplants about 15 yrs ago, but I'm unsure if I trust his skills in cleaning up what he did. I'm sure the technology and process has improved in 15 years but I don't want to fall prey to poor work and still have to deal with this scar.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Alan,

You'll have to get into Manhattan to get to the best doctors in NY, and this is especially true when considering repairs. 15 years ago puts you back to the mid nineties. There were still a significant amount of open donor procedures going on and then the micro's and mini's emerged. It was a real transitional period in the years following into the more refined FUHT. But the results were real hit and miss back then.

If you want to call me, I can give you a pretty good idea of what transpired in NY back then as well as your best alternatives right now.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the suggestion and info. Yes, I had my procedures done in 1994-95. I just went for a consultation with the same doctor who performed the original HT procedures. He said he could repair the scar and make it considerably smaller for $2,000. It would just be scar repair, no FUE or additional grafts. His estimates on what he could do weren't as good as I'd hoped, and he said a lot would be determined on the day of the procedure once he got to work on it.

He seems to be the only HT doctor in this area with a decent reputation so my options seem limited. He may be able to do a very good job, but I wish I had at least a second opinion to ensure I'm making the most informed decision. It would be difficult for me to get down to Manhattan, but if there is a chance for much better workmanship, then I might have to consider it.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Alan212 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion and info. Yes, I had my procedures done in 1994-95. I just went for a consultation with the same doctor who performed the original HT procedures. He said he could repair the scar and make it considerably smaller for $2,000. It would just be scar repair, no FUE or additional grafts. His estimates on what he could do weren't as good as I'd hoped, and he said a lot would be determined on the day of the procedure once he got to work on it.

He seems to be the only HT doctor in this area with a decent reputation so my options seem limited. He may be able to do a very good job, but I wish I had at least a second opinion to ensure I'm making the most informed decision. It would be difficult for me to get down to Manhattan, but if there is a chance for much better workmanship, then I might have to consider it.
    It's worth getting at least a second opinion before you decide. Michael Beehner, MD is in Saratoga Springs and does consults in Syracuse. He's very highly regarded and does a lot of repair work.

See Michael Beehner, MD's IAHRS Profile