+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice for FUT vs FUE for my second procedure w/ Pictures

Hey I am 5.5 months post op from my first FUT surgery we did 1450 grafts. 26 years old, 1cm wide donor scar ear to ear. Going into the procedure I knew that a second following procedure would be needed to reach my desired goals. We brought my hairline down about 2 finger widths and rounded of the corners. I am very happy with what has been accomplished from the first procedure but now that I have seen that the transplant indeed works I am eager to finish the job. Can anyone from their prior experience tell me what they would recommend I do next? I would love to just do another FUT but am worried it is not enough grafts for the amount of area I need to cover again. I am also worried my scalp would permanently be too tight after the second strip. I like the easier recovery idea of FUE but I am very scared I will have a sick and thin appearing backside of my head. I am also concerned that having an FUE procedure of 2000-2500 grafts now will limit my future options of doing another procedure. Any input on route I should take and number of grafts would be great. My goal is for the frontal half and hair line to be very strong. I have been considering Dr. Vories for the FUE vs going back to my original hair surgeon for another FUT. Thanks so much guys I appreciate any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg

Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	62527   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg

Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	62528   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	62522   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	62523   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	62524   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg

Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	62525   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg

Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	62526  

If you want my honest opinion, hair transplants are a waste of time and do not solve the underlying issue - you.

It may sound unjust and quite harsh, but please believe me when I say this - I am trying to help you dude .

Firstly, hair transplants are often not a long term solution to your male pattern baldness, and will require you to take in lots of artificial products which can't be good for your health, and also to seek continuous treatment down as the years go by.

Secondly, if you feel that you 'nee' your hair to be happy and for others to find you attractive, then the odds are you have some internal issues that no amount of rogaine will help with. Bald men who have accepted their hair loss and who have used it to better themselves are generally much more attractive, productive and successful in their daily lives, and the reason being is because they are perfectly content and confident in themselves .

Just my two cents dude

https://www.instagram.com/smooth__nation/

Anybody else? Looking for real advice on next procedure thanks

Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

@reed1992

How are you?

It is a little difficult to see exactly how things are progressing as your photos are not the best quality. You have obviously experienced some growth at 5.5 months but the quality is hard to clarify. You post op photo seems to show a large area covered for only 1450 grafts. This would potentially ask the question of density.

You are 26 years of age and considering transplant number 2. You must proceed with caution. Are you taking any hair loss preventative medication? I believe that considering your age and the loss you have experienced, medication would be an important thing for you to consider. If you can slow down further loss then this could potentially buy you years which would be preferential before committing to a second procedure.

Again, your photos are not the best quality but your donor appears good from the photo provided.

Do you have any miniaturisation/loss in the crown?

I would suggest to you that you must wait and see how things progress over the next 6 months and beyond. Get on meds if you are not currently taking any, and see how things progress.

International Patient Advisor - Bisanga Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece
    http://www.bchairtransplant.com
    bc2@bchairtransplant.com Whatsapp - +34 642 37 03 83

Thank you for your input Raphael, has anyone ever had a second strip FUT procedure and regretted it due to permanent tightness? I can deal with the tightness that lasts the first few months but I am worried it would be even tighter long term with a second procedure. I was using minoxidil but after the surgery it started to really irritate my scalp and crown causing dermatitis and peeling so I stopped. I have decided against propecia. I will try to get back on rogaine. My main hope and goal is that one more procedure to strengthen the front 50% will be enough for me. If the crown continues to thin then I can always come all the strong frontal 50% hair back over top of the crown to hide it. I just know that doing FUE now will prevent me from doing another FUT in the future. Any advice on this? The only thing holding me back from doing the FUT again is that I am worried that another 1400 grafts will not be enough to reach my goal as well worrying about permanent tightness of the scalp. FUE I like the idea but I do not like how it widespread thins the donor region stranding you with only FUE options after doing so.

STOP!

Let's look at the facts.

1. You're 26.
    2. You have 1450 grafts already via FUT.
    3. You have a 1cm wide donor scar.
    4. You don't want to take propecia.
    5. You're 26 and thinking that you'll be happy with a comb over from the front to the back when, not if, you lose the crown.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that from the first overhead photo (before) that you're a diffused NW5A. This means you have a lot more loss to come, AND, it most likely won't be your final pattern of loss. You're looking at this all wrong.

First, you need to think about where you are now. You're at 5.5 months so that means that your growth is plus or minus maybe 60%, as it looks like maybe you're an early grower. This means that you don't really know what the final result will be. However, while 1450 isn't a strong number for the frontal zone shown in your photos, you might be happy with the final outcome which won't e known for another six or so months.

Second, you need to figure out if you really want to go back to your first doctor given that your donor scar is 1cm wide from such a small strip. That's really unusual.

Third. Your long term comb over plan is just bad. Take a knee, think about what your future holds, because the way you're going now I don't think you'll be happy in the long run.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

Solid advice from Joe there!

International Patient Advisor - Bisanga Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece
    http://www.bchairtransplant.com
    bc2@bchairtransplant.com Whatsapp - +34 642 37 03 83