+ Reply to Thread

Default Hi, new here. Question about healing time and scarring.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in the process of scheduling for hair transplant surgery, but would like to know how much time I should take off of work. Preferably, I would like to return to work when everything looks normal so people will not notice that I have had the hair transplant.

Where can I find some pictures to see how people heal from the procedure, like day 1 after, day 2, day 3...ect.

This will depend on the type of procedure you schedule, as well as your personal healing characterisitcs. Strip surgery is more invasive and will take slightly longer to recover from, though appearance-wise, you will not look any different than if you had undergone a FUE procedure. If you opt for a non-shaven FUE procedure, you can actually return to work the very next day...we frequently have patients who have our C2G (CIT to Go procedure) and don't even plan to tell their wives or girlfriends they are having the surgery. With traditional FUE, you will need to shave your donor area (the backs and sides of your head) and this will obviously take a while to grow back out.

The day after surgery, you can rinse the dried blood from your hair and scalp. By the second or third day, scabbing should largely be gone but you may experience some swelling, and some redness will be present. You can accelerate this process by using post-op biotin spray. By the time you hit one-week post-op, swelling should have subsided and any redness should be faint or absent. By day 10, the grafts should be firmly in place and you will be able to scrub any residual crusting from the scalp. If you want to return to work without detection, I would advise you to get the procedure done right before a weekend and then take the following week off work. If you had any residual pinkness to your scalp, you could pass it off as a slight sunburn or something.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Do you know whether you want the FUT strip procedure or the FUE procedure? If you would like I can get you post op photos of each scenario. Just sent request to drgmc@charleshair.com and I will get those out to you.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by IWantMoreHair View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in the process of scheduling for hair transplant surgery, but would like to know how much time I should take off of work. Preferably, I would like to return to work when everything looks normal so people will not notice that I have had the hair transplant.

Where can I find some pictures to see how people heal from the procedure, like day 1 after, day 2, day 3...ect.
    make shure you check out dr.very well.some drs say oh in a week youll be undetectable.in my experience this has not been the case.you need at least 2 weeks and get the prp therapy for best and fast healing..its like 1 grand but way worth it!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree that in some cases, especially in fair skinned patients it takes a little longer than one week for complete healing. I have seen some of my PRP patients heal up incredibly fast.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile