Smoking and Hair Transplants - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Smoking and Hair Transplants

Hi everyone I’m new here.

I was thinking about having a hair transplant some time in the coming year. I’m in my mid thirties and have been smoking since I was 16 years old. I have read that if I decide to have surgery I will have to stop. I’d like to stop but it’s been very difficult for me. I’ve tried at least a dozen times over the years and always go back to it. I know that this sounds stupid, but I am being realistic.If I don't stop smoking will I still be able to have a hair transplant?

Quote Originally Posted by andreasg View Post

I was thinking about having a hair transplant some time in the coming year. I’m in my mid thirties and have been smoking since I was 16 years old. I have read that if I decide to have surgery I will have to stop. I’d like to stop but it’s been very difficult for me. I’ve tried at least a dozen times over the years and always go back to it. I know that this sounds stupid, but I am being realistic.If I don't stop smoking will I still be able to have a hair transplant?
    I ha a hernia operation a few years ago. This was a necessary procedure and my surgeon said that he would not operate on me unless I stopped smoking at lest two weeks before and for one month after. He was willing to give up his fee to send me elsewhere if I was not willing to give up the cigs.

I'm assuming any reputable hair transplant surgeon would do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by andreasg View Post

If you do not stop smoking, that in itslef does not disqualify you from having a successful HT procedure. I smoke myself and I only use a completely 100%additive free tobacco product. I have sustained four seperate strip procedures totally 6900 grafts and never had any problems with yield, healing, etc. But I also could be an exception and obviously I am not going to advocate you smoking.

There are two basic concerns for the patients who smoke. The first is healing. Smoking compromises the healing process in everyone and for anyone who is diabetic and smokes is not a good combination for any type of surgery.

The second concern is that smoking often induces hypoxia which is a condition whereby oxygen decreases below normal levels in inspired gases, arterial blood and tissue, without reaching anoxia. Hypoxia deprives oxygen from the grafts but no one knows to what extent. Obviously the chainsmoker would be at much higher risk. Other higher risks would be any patients diagnosed for things like polycythemia vera which can affect one's hemoglobin and cause hypoxia in patients without smoking. The combination of the two are more risky for the obvious reasons.

Although I am not suggesting that you smoke before and after your procedure, I do know of more patients besides myself who are smokers and had successful yields and results.

We do have to admire and respect those doctors who have the best interest of their patients in mind. And chances are, those docs are non-smokers and detest the habit for good reason.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    If you do not stop smoking, that in itslef does not disqualify you from having a successful HT procedure. I smoke myself and I only use a completely 100%additive free tobacco product. I have sustained four seperate strip procedures totally 6900 grafts and never had any problems with yield, healing, etc. But I also could be an exception and obviously I am not going to advocate you smoking.

There are two basic concerns for the patients who smoke. The first is healing. Smoking compromises the healing process in everyone and for anyone who is diabetic and smokes is not a good combination for any type of surgery.

The second concern is that smoking often induces hypoxia which is a condition whereby oxygen decreases below normal levels in inspired gases, arterial blood and tissue, without reaching anoxia. Hypoxia deprives oxygen from the grafts but no one knows to what extent. Obviously the chainsmoker would be at much higher risk. Other higher risks would be any patients diagnosed for things like polycythemia vera which can affect one's hemoglobin and cause hypoxia in patients without smoking. The combination of the two are more risky for the obvious reasons.

Although I am not suggesting that you smoke before and after your procedure, I do know of more patients besides myself who are smokers and had successful yields and results.

We do have to admire and respect those doctors who have the best interest of their patients in mind. And chances are, those docs are non-smokers and detest the habit for good reason.
    So You mean I could have continued smoking?