+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Minoxidil really work?

Hello all, new person here with some generic questions.

From what I gather, hair loss occurs from a build up in DHT which starves the hair follicle. Minoxidil apparently increases blood circulation to the hair follicles which allows the hair to grow again. However, doesn't more blood = more DHT also getting to the hair follicle and eventually you'll be back where you started?

How are the success rates from people using only Minoxidil to help with hair loss?

A side question so as not to start a second thread: are there any natural vitamins/supplements that help promote hair growth and health?

Doctor Representative

Default Dht

Good question! DHT doesn't actually starve the follicle. In hereditary hair loss, each follicle has a genetic "light switch" and when the genetic code is triggered, it allows DHT to affect the hair follicles causing them to miniaturize with each successive growth cycle. There is no connection to blood supply and hair loss. Minoxidil inhibits the DHT from affecting the follicle, preventing it from miniaturizing.

Some men use Minoxidil alone, but in we see in our practice, it is not as effective as Propecia, or Propecia and Minoxidil combined. If after 6-9 months, your hair loss is worse, you should consider Propecia.

Your hair is not alive, it is made of protein like your fingernails. A good diet is key to healthy hair. As far as supplements go, Dr. McAndrews advises patients there are none to prevent hair loss, but you could look into Biotin or a B Complex vitamin. They have been known to help patient's improve the appearance of their hair.
    I am a representative for Paul J. McAndrews, M.D.
    My goal is to help answer questions about hair loss and hair restoration in an unbiased and informative manner. For more information on Dr. McAndrews, click here http://www.iahrs.org/DisplayProfile....%EA&sID=%B2%9A or http://www.hairgrowthdoctor.com/.

Doesn't Propecia work by reducing the creation of testosterone, thereby reducing DHT? That method (if I have it correct) scares me a bit.

Minox works, even on the hairline to some extent, which is where I use it.

and no Propecia doesn't inhibit the creation of testosterone, its inhibits the conversion of testosterone into DHT or dihydrotestosterone. Either way it is ****ing with your hormones, which never seems to end well for people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone

That having been said, I take it.