+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is there any hope for me?

Hi everybody. My name is Alex. I want to thank all the hair loss sufferers who posts on here as well as the fantastic physicians out there who give hope to guys like me. Here's my story. (sorry if this seems disorganized, I just want to present this information chronologically).

I've been lurking this forum for a few days after doing tons of research. In May 2010 (one month before my 25th birthday), I finally noticed my hair loss during a haircut and freaked out. I always knew I had a high forehead, but it wasn't until May that I truly noticed that my hairline was receding. I've attached a picture of myself from May 2010. (I'm the guy in the pink shirt and vest on the left).

During a physical with my doctor, I asked him if he noticed any pattern balding. He responded that there was a little thinning, but not too much.

I've always been proud of my hair and did not handle this news well. In response to the news that I was experiencing ANY amount of balding, I buzzed my hair to practically NOTHING. I was devastated and I didn't want to look at my hair continue to decline.

After doing some research, I immediately began using Rogaine 5% foam, which I've now been using twice a day for 8 weeks. Two weeks later, I got a prescription for Propecia... and have been taking 1mg daily for the last 6 weeks.

I decided to let my hair grow back in so I could better evaluate the success of the treatments.

Also, around two weeks ago I went for a consultation with a leading hair transplant surgeon here in Chicago. At that time I was mostly worried about lowering the sides of my hairline a conservative amount. I was told that I had thinning in the crown area as well. Add to that, I was informed that my donor area is too thin for the strip extraction method. I was told I needed (via FUE), 1000-1250 to achieve the hairline restoration I wanted.

All this time, I was constantly told by friends and family that my hair loss wasn't very noticeable, especially not in the crown or vertex.

I have added Nizoral 1% to my regimen yesterday, which I plan to use on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.

As I've let my hair grow in, I've noticed that it's thinner all over than I ever remembered it. I'm an actor used to constantly being under stage lighting and being photographed-- and even in February of 2010, under stage lights (I'm on the right), I didn't notice any sort of diffuse thinning.

Fast forward to just this moment, where I've taken a bunch of pictures. It seems I'm shockingly thin everywhere (especially with a flash and overhead lighting).

Right now I'm feeling hopeless, nauseous, shocked, depressed, and all-around awful. I can see my scalp from every angle. I've been told that diffuse thinning will lead to profound baldness. It wasn't until just this moment that I realized I am probably a Norwood VI or so. I feel so stupid that I didn't notice this and that I let everybody around me lie to me and say that my hair loss wasn't very noticeable. It makes me sick to look at myself.

I would get an HT, but I don't know what they can do for me. If I am this profoundly bald, is there even a point?

Is there any hope for me? At all?

I'm not sure what to do.

W/ Flash

Away from overhead lighting

In overhead lighting; no flash

I realize it was a dense post, filled with emotions-- but I'm not quite sure how to interpret the lack of replies.

I think hair restoration surgery would be premature for you at this point. It's only under the harshest light that any thinning of your hair is even detectable and the fact that there is minimal contrast between your hair and skin color will actually aid in concealing any appearance of thinning.

At this point, your best bet is to continue the medical therapies you have recently started. Propecia and Rogaine are particularly effective in the crown, and in young men who have recently started losing their hair. With these products, you should be able to stabilize your hair loss and possibly even re-grow some hair.

I can only imagine how stressful and disheartening it is to experience the unpredictability of hair loss. However, you're a cute guy and you'll be cute guy with or without the hair so try not to let the anxiety disrupt your life!

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    I think hair restoration surgery would be premature for you at this point. It's only under the harshest light that any thinning of your hair is even detectable and the fact that there is minimal contrast between your hair and skin color will actually aid in concealing any appearance of thinning.

At this point, your best bet is to continue the medical therapies you have recently started. Propecia and Rogaine are particularly effective in the crown, and in young men who have recently started losing their hair. With these products, you should be able to stabilize your hair loss and possibly even re-grow some hair.

I can only imagine how stressful and disheartening it is to experience the unpredictability of hair loss. However, you're a cute guy and you'll be cute guy with or without the hair so try not to let the anxiety disrupt your life!
    Thank you so much for this reply.

I'm really trying to understand this balding thing-- perception v. reality. I'm operating under the impression that my hair is transparent always to everybody around me and that I look damn near close to bald.

This really is taking a toll on me (obviously) and like many of the other young guys who are sharing their experiences here, I spend a LOT of time worrying about this.

Also, it may be worth noting that I have been in psychological treatment for genetically-inherited chemical depression and anxiety, which manifested itself in late 2009. For about 2.5 months (March-May), I had a stint in anorexia, due to the heavy depression.

I know everybody secretly hopes their experience is one of telogen effluvium...and I'm not deluding myself into thinking that is mine, but I thought it would be worth mentioning the depression and the eating disorder.

Thanks for the encouragement, CIT Girl!

I agree with CIT girl. The medications are a good start. Believe it or not it looks like you have a good head of hair. I think when anybody buzzes their hair it looks thinner when it starts to grow in.
    As for your eating disorder not getting the proper amount of vitamins and protein is one of the worst things you can do for any part of your body including your hair.
    The average adult male needs something like 70 grams per day.
    (this is what my nutritionist told me)
    It may also help to have some blood tests done to see if you any health issues you are unaware of.
    If you want to see some amazing results with hair loss meds check out Dr. Robert Bernsteins website he has a section on medications and under the Propecia tab he shows some amazing results with both younger and older guys.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mlao View Post
    I agree with CIT girl. The medications are a good start. Believe it or not it looks like you have a good head of hair. I think when anybody buzzes their hair it looks thinner when it starts to grow in.
    As for your eating disorder not getting the proper amount of vitamins and protein is one of the worst things you can do for any part of your body including your hair.
    The average adult male needs something like 70 grams per day.
    (this is what my nutritionist told me)
    It may also help to have some blood tests done to see if you any health issues you are unaware of.
    If you want to see some amazing results with hair loss meds check out Dr. Robert Bernsteins website he has a section on medications and under the Propecia tab he shows some amazing results with both younger and older guys.
    I hope this helps.
    mlao-- thank you for your thoughtful reply. One of the first things my doctor did when I began seeing him (following the conclusion of the eating disorder) was give me a pretty comprehensive blood test which included STD screenings, thyroid screenings, lipids screenings, as well as some other hematological screenings. Nothing out of the ordinary. Aside from eating full time again, I have been taking a multi-vitamind.

I checked out this website: http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...a-finasteride/ and feel pretty encouraged. Especially by this statement:

During the first six months you may note some thinning of your existing hair. This may be due to either progression of your hair loss before finasteride has had a chance to work or some shedding of miniaturized hair that makes way for the new healthy anagen hair to grow. It is important to be patient during this period. You should continue the medication for at least one year before you and your doctor can assess its benefits.
    Thanks again!

You haven't been on the medications for long. Hopefully you'll see some thickening up, or at least you'll see a halt to continued loss. But seriously, on the basis of those photos, your hair doesn't look that thin. You should definitely give it a while to see how you respond to the meds before you consider undergoing a transplant.

What was the doctor's explanation for your hair being too thin for a strip procedure? FUE will make your donor area thinner if anything. Perhaps not noticeably so, but if it's already thin it could make a difference.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by akliner View Post
    I've been told that diffuse thinning will lead to profound baldness.

What??? How true is this information because I have the same type of thinning!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You haven't been on the medications for long. Hopefully you'll see some thickening up, or at least you'll see a halt to continued loss. But seriously, on the basis of those photos, your hair doesn't look that thin. You should definitely give it a while to see how you respond to the meds before you consider undergoing a transplant.

What was the doctor's explanation for your hair being too thin for a strip procedure? FUE will make your donor area thinner if anything. Perhaps not noticeably so, but if it's already thin it could make a difference.
    Thanks for the feedback. My consultation experience was actually a strange one. I went in and saw the sales guy/patient advocate guy (whatever you call him)...never a doctor. At the time, the consultant guy told me that I had a "great donor area". He took some photos.

About a week later, I received a phone call from the consultant saying that after the doctor looked at my photos, he determined that my donor area was too thin to effectively hide the scar from the strip extraction. However they did suggest a 1,000 - 1,250 FUE procedure to restore my hairline.

A few days ago I sent a follow-up email asking if I could speak with the doctor about estimating my future hair loss, the amount of donor grafts my head contains (seeing as though I was told I had thin donor area), and making an educated evaluation about my need for future procedures and budgeting my limited donor supply.

I haven't heard anything back yet.

I don't know what to think, anymore. I'd love to get a second opinion. I plan to take monthly pictures (from this point forward) of my head to better ascertain what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by imbaldinglikeamofo View Post
    What??? How true is this information because I have the same type of thinning!!!!!
    Oh I don't remember where I heard it. It's just one more thing to worry about

No way are you a NW VI man.