+ Reply to Thread

Default My hair looks worse after my second transplant? (Photos)

Hoping to get some opinions on here. Here's my story:

I am currently 25 years old. I have been taking 1.25mg of Finasteride every day since July of 2017, and continue to take it.

I had my first transplant (FUT) in September of 2017 with a reputable doctor in North America. This first transplant only covered the front half of my head (not the crown). It was apparently 2,900 grafts. This first transplant was fairly successful.

A couple weeks after this first transplant, I started using Rogaine twice a day to my entire top of the scalp, and continued to use it for 1 year. After 1 year, I decided to stop using Rogaine, since I didn't notice any improvements in my crown which I had thought it was meant to help with, and I thought I could save some money. I have also noticed (both when I used Rogaine and now that I don't) that I continue to find 15-20 hairs in my hand in the shower some days (both thick and and thin hairs).

I had my second FUT transplant in October of 2018 with the same doctor. It was apparently about 2,850 grafts. Around 70% of those grafts were placed in my crown area this time (for the first time), and the other 30% was placed in the frontal area (for the second time).

Now that we're in February of 2019, it's been just about 5 months since my second transplant. I still am not noticing any improvements in my crown, or in the front. In fact, it seems that my crown in particular still looks worse than it did before the first transplant took place. I'd assume that most of the hairs have at least sprouted out by now. I feel like even my front still looks worse. I'd imagine that any shock loss that occurred would've grown back by now.

I have considered that part of this issue could be from me stopping the use of Rogaine before my second transplant. But I have been on Finasteride for a year and a half, and honestly, I would've imagined that the results would've been better by now. I have spoken to my doctor, and he continues to tell me that it's still very early and I should be patient. I personally think that there's something odd going on here. My first transplant grew out so much faster (mind you, I did use Rogaine for that one).

Anyway, I have uploaded some photos of my hair with dates listed in the link below. They are in chronological order from 2017 - 2019, and I have included captions in the photos. I'd really like to get some of your thoughts:
    https://imgur.com/a/4lUCLEg

Thanks so much, everyone!

As it's only been 5 months, I don't think you have any reason to worry at the moment, I think it's around about month 8 that you'll see the hair start to properly grow. I seem to remember that's how it was with me, anyway, and for 5 months post-surgery you actually look pretty good. Hope it works out for you.