+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant at 33 without Propecia

So I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on my situation. I am 33 years old and have fairly advanced hair loss. In the past I have tried Propecia, and had to stop due to impotence being a side effect. It took me roughly 6 month to recover from that and has caused me to never take the medicine again.

This brings me to my question of whether or not it’s worth having a hair transplant, if you know your not going to use Propecia ever again. I have no issues with using minoxidil and would happily use that. But do not want to risk the sexual side affects of Propecia. I also like in Charlotte NC and wanted to get recommendations for doctors in this area. Thank you all for the help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F6EEB46A-77C7-486F-9CE2-DE880D5305F6.jpg

Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	61368  

Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

@eah
    As you say, you do have fairly advanced hair loss, but you have also maintained hair in the mid scalp area. From the photo provided, you can't accurately see how low the loss goes in the crown area. This is an important factor to consider, depending on your goals. I completely respect the fact that you will not consider oral finasteride. If you do continue down the path of a transplant, minoxidil would be a tool that I would suggest you should use.

You could unquestionably attain a significant result and improvement, but I would imagine that you would need a second surgery go address the crown area.

How is your hair loss of late? At what age did you begin to experience hair loss? Family history of hair loss? All should be taken into consideration.

Educate yourself and maybe submit some online consultations with some Doctors that you feel confident about.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael84hair View Post
    @eah
    As you say, you do have fairly advanced hair loss, but you have also maintained hair in the mid scalp area. From the photo provided, you can't accurately see how low the loss goes in the crown area. This is an important factor to consider, depending on your goals. I completely respect the fact that you will not consider oral finasteride. If you do continue down the path of a transplant, minoxidil would be a tool that I would suggest you should use.

You could unquestionably attain a significant result and improvement, but I would imagine that you would need a second surgery go address the crown area.

How is your hair loss of late? At what age did you begin to experience hair loss? Family history of hair loss? All should be taken into consideration.

Educate yourself and maybe submit some online consultations with some Doctors that you feel confident about.

Good luck!
    I started to lose hair in college probably sophomore year. To be honest recently a lot has been falling out. My dad is completely bald with the classic horseshoe and is what I would assume I am destined for. I don’t even plan to completely shave my head, that’s why I thought a transplant would atleast give me a couple more years to a decade of a fuller head of hair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98EEBFA0-6F31-4A46-B482-972EFFD15519.jpg

Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	61369  

Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

If you are losing more hair now, and you are comfortable with using Minoxidil, then I think that would be a wise decision in an effort to maintain as much native hair as you possibly can.

You have options. Guys come from a much worse situation that you and have super results, good coverage and with such a significant change are generally happier in life. Some guys shave their head and walk away from the conversation. Only you know what is right for you.

Start the consultation process and perhaps when you get some specific recommendations back from Doctors that you trust, it may influence you one way or the other.