Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work?

Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? Can it be used instead of Finasteride? How often would one have to go for PRP?

Dear Krangstein, we're still trying to understand what prp can do!
    I can only say that Dr Greco told me that prp is a sperimental treatment to understand the role of growth factors in the hair cycle.

This treatment is safe and so patients can try it even if results are still not clear and there is not just one protocol.
    For example here in Italy there is a phisician called Dr Schiavone ( in Rome) who uses the Dr Greco protocol, and the treatment is 1 time a year.

Another phisician , Dr Rinaldi( in Milan), uses another protocol and he does 2 treatments (one at the beginning and the second after 3 months) in the first year.

I also know other phisicians who suggest to do 3 treatments in the first 6 months.

The prp acts on platelets' release of growth factors so the action is different from finasteride.

One acts on the hair cycle and the other on dht hormon.

Are there some people who have used it and seen results? even regrow hair?

I am also very interested in this. I actually went as far as e-mailing and talking to Dr. Greco's office and "possibly" setting up an appointment. It would be very beneficial to me, as well as this forum if someone could weigh in on possible results. I was quoted $1,000 for everything...tax included, etc. Anyone have any type of positive results with PRP?

I've been reading this forum for a while and thought I'd reply with my experience. Due to a medical issue, I was forced to stop both Propecia and Rogaine after 10 years of use around 5 1/2 months ago. I was shedding pretty badly and a month ago went and saw Dr. Greco for PRP. Immediately after having the treatment, my shedding stopped completely and my hair felt great - for about a week. Then, the shedding resumed at an even more aggressive rate for another two weeks. I am told this could be normal and could signal that it's actually working. Over the past week (3 weeks after treatment), I have noticed that the shedding is slowing down again, but it has not gone away completely.

The only takeaway I can offer so far is that it definitely did something for me in that it halted a very aggressive shed. However, I cannot yet speak to its longer term efficacy since it has only been one month. I will post again in a few weeks and let you all know what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Krangstein View Post
    Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? Can it be used instead of Finasteride? How often would one have to go for PRP?
    I had PRP done about 5 months ago and it really didn't do much. My hair continues to fall out and the remaining hair continues to thin. I might be one of those people who PRP doesn't work for. I've heard some success stories but there hasn't been much visual evidence. You should get a consultation with Dr. Greco, or any other IAHRS Dr. who provides PRP, to see if they think you'll be a good candidate.

cstella- The price you were quoted sounds about right. I paid the same thing with Dr. Greco.

I started a thread a while back and documented my experience. Here's the link: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2723

Good luck!

I've done 2 prp and it has helped more than anything ive used!!I am going to get 3rd treatment april 12,2011 this time will be first with acell.

I did 1st 5/10,2nd 9/10 and I will do 3rd 4/12/11 + 3rd time he will prp with acell.I have had hairloss for 20yrs this has made more differnce than anything used!

i had same.but u will see a big difference after 2nd.im getting 3rd w/acell next month.

i have had best results going back for 3rd in april.made my hair better than it has in years!