Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmonasco
    Inactive
    • Apr 2010

Pitcher hopes stem cell procedure will get him one last season

"We really don't have a good uniform idea of what constitutes platelet rich plasma," Dr. Purita told CNN. "I mean, what is it? You could ask 10 doctors and they're going to give you 10 different answers. We really need to get together and form an idea as to what it is."

One doctor contacted by CNN says the whole process is essentially worthless.

"There are many, many misstatements, direct inaccuracies and errors in the way that growth factors and stem cells are portrayed," Dr. George Daley, president of the International Society for Stem Cell Research, said after reading an informational packet written by Purita, available to patients on his website. "If it were subjected to a critical analysis by experts in the field, it would be dismissed as unfortunately superficial and inaccurate."
    C.J. Nitkowski hopes his own stem cells injected into his injured shoulder will give him a chance to pitch in the big leagues again.

Comment

• alanrudy
      • Feb 2012

Any results anyone has had with this? Spencer actually says PRP looks promising in an article on livestrong last year. I'm not an expert in science, but what I find interesting is that many doctors say PRP treatments for arthritis and other problems don't really do anything and there is a lot of unknown. But Kobe Bryant did PRP for his arthritic knee and his results have been amazing. All the recent posters in the replicel thread were kinda discouraging but there is still a lot to be thankful for in life and hopefully prp or Histogen can come through.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
        • Feb 2011

I've always thought that PRP held promise (despite that it hasn't really done much of anything so far) since it has some solid science behind it. VEGF, KGF, and other ingredients of PRP have been proven by various scientists to have an effect on hair growth. I think that if PRP was tweaked a little bit, it would have more of a positive effect on hair regrowth. The problem is that only one doctor that I know of (Dr. Greco) is looking to create a better version of it to stimulate hair growth.

Comment

• mkamph
          • Dec 2008

i've been to purita several times for stem cell treatment on various body parts and his methods have worked wonders on me. i've also had prp done for various shoulder injuries and knee injuries and it has completely alleviated the pain. i know that there are different ways to process the blood and that makes a big difference on the treatment's effectiveness. as far as doctors in the states are concerned, purita is the man for prp and stem cells. i'm surprised dr glen charles hasn't visited purita since his office is right down the street from his in boca raton (glades road). purita will let any doc view his process.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
            • Feb 2011

I actually e-mailed Purita except he said he only limits his practice to orthopedics. But yeah, if some one like Dr. Charles is right down the road from him, he could definitely stop in and see how stem cells could possibly regrow hair on people suffering from hair loss.

Comment

• Stevie R
              • Aug 2012

Hey guys can PRP help with scars say FUE into a scar?

Comment

• Copasetic
                • Sep 2012

My Results

There have been many mixed reviews about PRP. I could not decide whether it was worth it or not but then I noticed a rapid amount of shedding and thinning. At this point I really wanted to try something new. I live in the NJ area and found there was a place called H+S Antiaging in Rutherford. I went for my free consultation and found out that the two doctors who perform the procedure learned from Dr. Greco. I was so pleased to find out about this so I scheduled an appointment, 3 months later I have noticed a decrease in shedding and fullness in my hair! I also was able to go to work the next day without any problems and nobody knew that I had anything done.

Comment

• level
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by slickster
                  Any pics anyone?? i know level posted some on another thread.

I was thinking of this treatment too
                  Dude, if you have MPB forget about it; PRP won't work. If it worked, this forum would be mined with pics of its effectiveness.

Comment

• StayThick
                    • Oct 2012

Level I agree with you, but I decided to still book my PRP appointment with Dr. Greco for next Friday. He is one of the pioneers of this treatment and his office resides 3 hours from me. I figure it's worth a shot and I have $1k to spare.

If it does nothing, then hey, I'll inform all you guys it's a waste. But as it stands, my hair is getting worse and I'm willing to try a treatment that might yield results. Wish me luck fellas'

Comment

• baldnotbeautiful
                      • Oct 2012

Good luck man. I am 4hrs from Dr. Cooley and am considering doing the same thing. I didn't think the price was that cheap though. Did they tell you the price over the phone, or did you have to drive 3hrs for a consultation to get the price? I would do this for 1k, but I've heard most places are charging more like 3k...

Comment

• mpbsucks
                        • Oct 2012

Good luck thick, please do let us know as I am considering getting this done myself. Best of luck man..

Originally posted by StayThick
                        Level I agree with you, but I decided to still book my PRP appointment with Dr. Greco for next Friday. He is one of the pioneers of this treatment and his office resides 3 hours from me. I figure it's worth a shot and I have $1k to spare.

If it does nothing, then hey, I'll inform all you guys it's a waste. But as it stands, my hair is getting worse and I'm willing to try a treatment that might yield results. Wish me luck fellas'

Comment

• level
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by StayThick

If you have money to spare, more power to you! Good luck, man. I hope you have a better overall experience than I did. Please keep us posted. There aren't enough documented PRP cases in this forum. Again, good luck!

Comment

• mpbsucks
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by level
                            If you have money to spare, more power to you! Good luck, man. I hope you have a better overall experience than I did. Please keep us posted. There aren't enough documented PRP cases in this forum. Again, good luck!
                            What was your experience Level. did it work at all?

Comment

• level
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by mpbsucks
                              What was your experience Level. did it work at all?
                              Unfortunately, I didn't have any success, mpbsucks. If you go to my profile, you'll see a thread I created that describes (with pics) my PRP experience. In a nutshell: I had PRP done with Dr. Greco. He and his staff were extremely knowledgeable and did everything in their power to make my experience enjoyable, which it was. However, similar to most who have done the procedure, I didn't see any improvement in my hair. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. In fact, I think my hair got worse...but that could just be coincidental.

Comment

• StayThick
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by level
                                Unfortunately, I didn't have any success, mpbsucks. If you go to my profile, you'll see a thread I created that describes (with pics) my PRP experience. In a nutshell: I had PRP done with Dr. Greco. He and his staff were extremely knowledgeable and did everything in their power to make my experience enjoyable, which it was. However, similar to most who have done the procedure, I didn't see any improvement in my hair in the least. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. In fact, I think my hair got worse...but that could just be coincidental.
                                Level, after viewing your pictures from your previous thread on PRP,
                                I must say we have very similar hair/balding pattern. I also live in South Florida and see myself identical to you hair wise when I get to 29 (27 now). After reviewing your thread I honestly believe I will be wasting $1,000 Friday, but I already committed and placed a $200 deposit, so I guess I'm going to stick with it.

It's deflating because we have a similar hairloss pattern and this treatment did not work for you by Dr. Greco. In fact, I didn't even see an improvement in your hair in the least as you mentioned. So frustrating...by the time histogen comes out I'll be severely bald. I'm honestly thinking about reviewing my options regarding FUE with Shapiro, Rahal, etc. Sucks bro. Worst part is spending thousands of dollars on treatments only to see your hair continue to tank. It really is heart-breaking. My hair is all I think about every day, all the time...life is what they say, unfair. Humans are meant to have hair on their heads, it's mind boggling to me how in life some guys can have a hairline down to their brows and others not a follicle on top of their head. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Working...