+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Krangstein View Post
    Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? Can it be used instead of Finasteride? How often would one have to go for PRP?
    I had PRP done about 5 months ago and it really didn't do much. My hair continues to fall out and the remaining hair continues to thin. I might be one of those people who PRP doesn't work for. I've heard some success stories but there hasn't been much visual evidence. You should get a consultation with Dr. Greco, or any other IAHRS Dr. who provides PRP, to see if they think you'll be a good candidate.

cstella- The price you were quoted sounds about right. I paid the same thing with Dr. Greco.

I started a thread a while back and documented my experience. Here's the link: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2723

Good luck!

I've done 2 prp and it has helped more than anything ive used!!I am going to get 3rd treatment april 12,2011 this time will be first with acell.

IT stopped my hairloss but it is a treatment not a cure! i do it every six months.It will make your scalp healthy and it did bring back some new growth.I will continue to do to keep hair.I do not take propecia and I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Krangstein View Post
    Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? Can it be used instead of Finasteride? How often would one have to go for PRP?
    Hi,
    I know of someone with a very similar problem who was successfully treated by a medical office in New York. You can call them at 718-544-1444 or 845-425-7997. We were really amazed with the results.

Any pics anyone?? i know level posted some on another thread.

I was thinking of this treatment too

Inactive

Post Pitcher hopes stem cell procedure will get him one last season

"We really don't have a good uniform idea of what constitutes platelet rich plasma," Dr. Purita told CNN. "I mean, what is it? You could ask 10 doctors and they're going to give you 10 different answers. We really need to get together and form an idea as to what it is."

One doctor contacted by CNN says the whole process is essentially worthless.

"There are many, many misstatements, direct inaccuracies and errors in the way that growth factors and stem cells are portrayed," Dr. George Daley, president of the International Society for Stem Cell Research, said after reading an informational packet written by Purita, available to patients on his website. "If it were subjected to a critical analysis by experts in the field, it would be dismissed as unfortunately superficial and inaccurate."
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/21/health...her/index.html

Any results anyone has had with this? Spencer actually says PRP looks promising in an article on livestrong last year. I'm not an expert in science, but what I find interesting is that many doctors say PRP treatments for arthritis and other problems don't really do anything and there is a lot of unknown. But Kobe Bryant did PRP for his arthritic knee and his results have been amazing. All the recent posters in the replicel thread were kinda discouraging but there is still a lot to be thankful for in life and hopefully prp or Histogen can come through.

I've always thought that PRP held promise (despite that it hasn't really done much of anything so far) since it has some solid science behind it. VEGF, KGF, and other ingredients of PRP have been proven by various scientists to have an effect on hair growth. I think that if PRP was tweaked a little bit, it would have more of a positive effect on hair regrowth. The problem is that only one doctor that I know of (Dr. Greco) is looking to create a better version of it to stimulate hair growth.

Quote Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    Any pics anyone?? i know level posted some on another thread.

I was thinking of this treatment too
    Dude, if you have MPB forget about it; PRP won't work. If it worked, this forum would be mined with pics of its effectiveness.

Level I agree with you, but I decided to still book my PRP appointment with Dr. Greco for next Friday. He is one of the pioneers of this treatment and his office resides 3 hours from me. I figure it's worth a shot and I have $1k to spare.

If it does nothing, then hey, I'll inform all you guys it's a waste. But as it stands, my hair is getting worse and I'm willing to try a treatment that might yield results. Wish me luck fellas'