Anyone know what is Shock Loss? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Anyone know what is Shock Loss?

    I have heard about the term Shock Loss. What does it mean and what are the reasons for this to occur.

  2. #2
    Dr Representative Spex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show


    You will see me featured in various newspapers and you can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics. Run a search on google for Spencer Spex Stevenson and youíll find a great deal out about me and the industry! I am not a Doctor and all my posts are my own personal opinion based on 13 Hair transplants. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

    Representing and in Association with :


    Dr. Scott Alexander, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Ken Anderson, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Alan Bauman, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Albena Kovacheva, IAHRS associate Member
    Dr. Geza Sikos, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Bijan Feriduni, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Amir Yazdan, IAHRS Member
    Dr. Scott Boden, IAHRS Member
    Dr. William Lindsey, IAHRS Member

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Thank you Spex, for sharing the video. So the temporary shock loss is common among hair transplant candidates & not a problem at all. But what about permanent shock loss? what are the chances of it to occur? What is the procedure to tackle with permanent shock loss if it occurs?

  4. #4
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon John P. Cole, MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    366

    Default

    shock loss does not always occur. it is a reaction to surgery that can occur in the recipient area and less commonly in the donor area. The only sure thing is that you will not be happy if you get shock loss. What causes it? Trauma can cause a temporary shedding of terminal hair making you appear thinner. You just have to wait it out. The hair will return. Another option in the recipient area is a sudden loss that is programmed to happen. This will not return. Shock loss begins 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. Loss after a month is progressive hair loss that is programmed. Shock loss is not as common with the addition of regenerative products such as good quality PRP or cytokine-rich plasma, but it can still occur. Limiting the density of grafts can help to eliminate shock loss, but some people seem super sensitive to surgery and still experience shock loss with low-density grafting.
    John Cole, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default How low density of grafts help?

    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    shock loss does not always occur. it is a reaction to surgery that can occur in the recipient area and less commonly in the donor area. The only sure thing is that you will not be happy if you get shock loss. What causes it? Trauma can cause a temporary shedding of terminal hair making you appear thinner. You just have to wait it out. The hair will return. Another option in the recipient area is a sudden loss that is programmed to happen. This will not return. Shock loss begins 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. Loss after a month is progressive hair loss that is programmed. Shock loss is not as common with the addition of regenerative products such as good quality PRP or cytokine-rich plasma, but it can still occur. Limiting the density of grafts can help to eliminate shock loss, but some people seem super sensitive to surgery and still experience shock loss with low-density grafting.
    Can low-density grafting really help to avoid shock loss? If it really helps then can you please explain how limiting the density of grafts can prevent shock loss?

  6. #6
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon John P. Cole, MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    366

    Default

    High-density and low-density grafting have never been studied in relation to their effect on shock loss. It is rather an observation I've had over the years. In cases where I transplanted a higher density on occasion, I had significant shock loss. This is not to say that high-density grafting always produced shock loss. It didn't. Furthermore, on occasion, a lower density can produce shock loss. I have thought for years that some people are very sensitive to surgery and more likely to have shock loss. Thus, the answer is that shock loss is perhaps more likely with high-density grafting, but there is no way to avoid shock loss in some people.

    I have seen far less shock loss in the past five years with the use of very high concentrations of growth factors from concentrated high-density PRP and more recently my sonicated cytokine-rich plasma. Yet, I still see some shock loss. Shock loss can also occur in the donor area.

    I have been especially careful in women with hair loss because shock loss in this group is very difficult to accept. I can still remember a woman where I transplanted a high density. She had shock loss and it was devastating for her. I will never forget sitting with her and having her cry. I have always limited densities in women since this incident and fortunately, have never seen another severe case of shock loss in women.

    The benefit of high-density grafting is that you have far more hair in four to five months. Usually, the risk of shock loss in my hands is low so I generally go for a higher density.

    No one likes to see shock loss. Not the patient for sure, but the physician does not enjoy this scenario either. Shock loss is often a devastating thing.
    John Cole, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    High-density and low-density grafting have never been studied in relation to their effect on shock loss. It is rather an observation I've had over the years. In cases where I transplanted a higher density on occasion, I had significant shock loss. This is not to say that high-density grafting always produced shock loss. It didn't. Furthermore, on occasion, a lower density can produce shock loss. I have thought for years that some people are very sensitive to surgery and more likely to have shock loss. Thus, the answer is that shock loss is perhaps more likely with high-density grafting, but there is no way to avoid shock loss in some people.

    I have seen far less shock loss in the past five years with the use of very high concentrations of growth factors from concentrated high-density PRP and more recently my sonicated cytokine-rich plasma. Yet, I still see some shock loss. Shock loss can also occur in the donor area.

    I have been especially careful in women with hair loss because shock loss in this group is very difficult to accept. I can still remember a woman where I transplanted a high density. She had shock loss and it was devastating for her. I will never forget sitting with her and having her cry. I have always limited densities in women since this incident and fortunately, have never seen another severe case of shock loss in women.

    The benefit of high-density grafting is that you have far more hair in four to five months. Usually, the risk of shock loss in my hands is low so I generally go for a higher density.

    No one likes to see shock loss. Not the patient for sure, but the physician does not enjoy this scenario either. Shock loss is often a devastating thing.
    Okay, so low-density grafting can lower the risk of shock loss. Thanks for adding such information to my knowledge.

  8. #8
    Member Raphael84hair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Great write up Dr Cole. Thank you.

    Patient Advisor for Bisanga & Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece
    http://www.bchairtransplant.com
    bc2@bchairtransplant.com

  9. #9
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon John P. Cole, MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhtco771 View Post
    Okay, so low-density grafting can lower the risk of shock loss. Thanks for adding such information to my knowledge.
    it is theoretically possible that low density reduces shock loss. However, some are super sensitive. Suppose you drop a plate. It might break depending on how high you drop it. It also might break when you drop the plate from a low level, though less likely at a low height. The risk of breaking increases as you increase the height. The same is true for graft density and shock loss. A more dense packing increase the risk of shock loss, but a low density does not eliminate the risk of shock loss.
    John Cole, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hi Dr. Cole,

    I'm a woman and I just had FUE via Neograft for 1500 grafts on crown area, and I'm experiencing shock loss. It started from week 2 and ended a little after week 3. It's devastating to see the balding spots and I wanted to ask you that from your experiences, how many (or %) of those experiencing shock loss eventually had their hairs grow back? (And how long did it take?) In my case it was the recipient area and the shock loss happened around the transplanted hairs. What can I do to help with the situation (since it's not falling out crazy like after week 2 I feel there's not much I can do)? Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Shock loss
    By Denver Mint in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-27-2018, 09:52 PM
  2. Shock loss or MPB?
    By Jon24 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2017, 02:52 AM
  3. Shock Loss Everywhere!
    By Londinium in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 10:12 PM
  4. Lost all the hair on the top of my head after the HT,,shock loss and what a shock
    By David s in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
  5. Hair Loss/Shock Loss 8 months post-op - Help!
    By Carra-Legend in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

7 Month Progress (pics) - Finasteride, 1% Nizoral
Today 07:09 PM
by mexica2
Last Post By L21c
Today 07:52 PM
3 FUT procedures later I give up
Today 06:42 PM
by Ergo
Last Post By Ergo
Today 06:42 PM
Newbie Needs Advice on Choosing Between- Mcandrews, Wong, or Wesley
06-12-2013 04:02 PM
by tgaar
Last Post By L21c
Today 02:41 PM
Greater Los Angeles Hair Transplant Surgeon recommendations
Today 02:14 PM
by L21c
Last Post By L21c
Today 02:14 PM
stopping this nonsense
Yesterday 06:15 PM
Last Post By GoingBald34
Today 02:00 PM
dr thomas mantse
04-12-2015 07:22 AM
Last Post By felix2011sk
Today 01:24 PM