+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just got my first Transplant Consultation

Hello all,

I'm a 31 yo with a receding hairline. Generally thinning in the vortex as well, but not so bad yet. I've been getting shorter "spiky" haircuts so that my randomly textured hair can "randomly" reduce the visibility of my receding hairline But it's the beginning of a comb-over type of habit, and that's not a path I feel like going down!! So it's come down to . . . transplants or shaving my head. I'm not ready to shave my head just yet, so I'm looking at transplants while I have the cash.

I went to my first consultation today with IAHRS surgeon in Pasadena, CA (Dr. Paul McAndrews). We worked out a plan and I was very impressed with his office and what he had to say. I really got the impression that he could give me exactly the best treatment for me. He also put me on Propecia to keep my hair that I still have in my head.

That said . . . I was blown away by the price tag . . . $9 per graft!! I don't need very many . . . he recommended 1,600 . . . but that totals $14,400!! I was expecting it to be expensive, but that's over TWICE what I was considering paying.

Is that too much to spend? I was impressed with the facilities and think this guy could do a great job. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag and want to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

Have any of you used surgeons in SoCal that were less expensive yet absolutely perfect professionals? I am actually willing to spend it if I have to, but I obviously want to keep my money in my pocket if I can.

that sounds about right for socal. ron shapiro charges $6 per and he's one of the most respected. with the price difference, it might be worth making a trip to minnesota.

Man. For some reason I was thinking it would be around like $7k for a procedure. But I suppose a lot of information online is pretty dated. And, to have an established doctor spend his entire day with you . . . I suppose a $14.4k price tag is beginning to make sense.

But AAAAAHHHHHH! That's a lot of money to me!!!

There's Dr. De Yarman in La Jolla/San Diego area who is not as expensive and adds on PRP with the hair transplant. I thought the procedure I had with him was very comfortable. Good luck!

Thanks for the head's up!! What is "PRP"?

It stands for platelet rich plasma and it is extracted from a vein in your arm and injected to a thinning area on your scalp. Its a fairly new way of combating hairloss. In due time this technology will be perfected and used in many areas of the health field. Hope that helps...also there are plenty of pics of results on this site...do plenty of research so you know what you want. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your input! Very helpful.

jwilly: Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I think you should take a pass on the hair transplant. In fact, you mention that you are considering shaving. I think that would be the best option for you. Buzzing it short is another option.

I would love the chance to shave my head. However, I have this strip scar across the back of my head. Best of luck with your decision---Don'tdoit.

hey hasson and wong charge 5 dollars a graft for the first 2000 then the price goes down , there supposed to be awsome

Will definitely check them out . . . thank you!!