+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil - where to begin?

Dear forum members,

I'm sure this subject has been discussed a lot of times on here, but there is so much information, so many discussions that I don't really know what to do anymore. I was wondering if you have any advice for someone who wants to start using minoxidil. I have no idea which form is the most effective, what percentage, if I should use it with azalaic acid or retin-a, etc. What is the golden standard in terms of using minoxidil?

Also, when one applies minoxidil, does it have to be applied twice a day or only in the evening?

Answers much appreciated.

from other forum
    I've used minoxidil liquid for years and I've used foam on and off for a while.

How I use foam:

Tools:
    Rogaine Foam
    Latex Gloves
    Hair Brush
    Two mirrors

Step 1: If I step out of the shower, I towel dry my hair leaving it damp. I comb my hair and wait about 10 minutes.

Step 2: I wear a latex glove on the hand I'll be using to apply the foam with.

Step 3: Using 2 mirrors, I part my crown first. I comb hair forward, to the sides, and down, making crown as visible as possible.

Step 3: I apply foam directly to the crown using two mirrors to see crown with a mirror in one hand over my head looking into the bathroom mirror, and foam in the other hand.

Step 4: I rub the foam in for about 5-10 seconds using 2 latex gloved fingers.

Step 5: I part my hair directly down the middle of my head from crown to hairline. I apply a thin line of foam down this line and then rub it in from side to side getting inbetween hairs.

Step 6: I part my hair again but this time about an inch from the center of myhead on the right side. I apply and rub in same way.

Step 7: I do the same except to the left of my head and apply and rub in same way.

Hairline:
    I apply very small amount of foam, probably a 1/4" across my hairline every 1/2" or so and then rub it in with my glove.

I use a total of approx 3-4 cap sizes each application. I believe 30%-40% of it is absorbed by hair.

If I happen to apply the foam at a time I was unable to shower prior to, then I take my brush, let water run through it, comb my hair, keep repeating till my hair is wet/damp and scalp slightly damp. Then I apply as mentioned above.

Wet/damp hairs leave more of scalp exposed
    Damp hairs absorb less foam
    minoxidil is better absorbed on damp scalp (not wet!).

My view of liquid vs foam:

Liquid
    Pros:
    -Easy to apply directlyto scalp
    -Spreads better by the tilt of your head
    -Less absorbed by hair
    -Can use less compared with foam
    -Cheap

Cons:
    -Drips down the sides, back, and fron of head, neck and face/forehead.
    -Dries in about 40 minutes
    -If you use it prior to sleeping, your sheets, shirt, your girl, and pillow case will turn yellow
    -Itches

Foam
    Pros:
    -Dries fast, in about 10 minutes
    -No itch

Cons:
    -I believe it's almost impossible to use only their recommended dose of half cap size
    -Gets caught it hairs, absorbed by hair
    -Costly compared to liquid

I've seen good results with both. My crown has thickened in using foam 1x daily in 3 weks.