+ Reply to Thread

Default Thoughts on Topical Finasteride in Addition to Ru-58841?

My derm is willing to write me a prescription for a topical Fin/Min compound. Do you think it would be safe to use and the efficacy would be increased by also applying topical RU-58841 before or after applying the Fin compound? I currently have a two month supply of RU.

From what I understand, RU is thought to either go systemic in negligible amounts or that it is broken down harmlessly upon absorption, thus the lack of systemic involvement in monkeys.

On the other hard, the two largest studies of topical finasteride seem to indicate that systemic absorption is anywhere between 5-30% with systemic DHT levels seen to be reduced by as little as 5%(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29972712/) and as much as 70%
    (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26636418/).

My concerns are as follows:

1.) would the seemingly increased tendency of topical Finasteride to go systemic also encourage RU to do the same? Would Fin “hold the door open” for RU?

2.) I’ve read studies that show total androgen deprivation of the heart muscle can lead to heart failure and death, as seen in patients with prostate cancer who are put on a near-total androgen blocker regimen. Because we know RU58841 is a non-selective androgen blocker, is it possible that systemic RU +Fin could reduce androgen in vital organs enough to cause damage, or even death?

3.) Thus far I have no sides on RU. I did however get bad sides on 0.25mg ED oral Finasteride. I’m willing to try topical Fin and stop again if sides present. Should I therefore start with just the topical Fin/min and stop RU to watch for sides? I’ve heard that any change in regimen can induce TE which I’m already experiencing due to starting minox 5%.

Yikes that’s a long post but hopefully others are in a similar situation and are equally curious.

Cheers

Just a quick update for you guys

I’m on like day 7 or 8 of RU58841 and am getting a much milder form of ball ache like you’d get from Fin. Not 100% sure it’s due to the RU because I sometimes get epididymitis, but who knows.

This is more concerning than Fin sides because obviously the RU is going systemic and due to the non-selective nature of RU I’m concerned about what other organs and systems might be being affected. I’ve lowered my dose from 1.5 to 1mL/day and will be switching to topical Fin as soon as I have it.

Also in week 2 of Minoxidil 5% 1x/day and my shedding is pretty gnarly. Up maybe 100%. Fingers crossed

Another update for those who may be interested

I started 640mg saw palmetto about two weeks ago as well. After today noticing the very familiar onset of finasteride like sides I decided to discontinue both the SP and RU. In a month or two after my Minox shedding has stabilized and (hopefully) these current sides have passed I may try to reintroduce RU, or try Topical Fin.

Well I guess this thread has turned into more of a progress report.. hopefully anyone lurking will be helped by any info I have to report.

I’m a couple days shy of the 1 month mark of 5% minox. My shedding is still pretty bad, but I think has tapered off a little. Went from ~500 hairs a day to maybe 200. Over just the past month my hair has dramatically thinned out.

I’m thinning diffusely with no hairline recession at all, and it’s getting hard to hide bald spots where my hair naturally parts in places. Taking selfies from under my face pointing up reveals massive gaps in my frontal third.

I’ll be starting with 1x/week topical Fin on Monday. Hopefully this literal carpet worth of hair I’ve shed over the last two or three weeks means I’m in for a stunning amount of regrowth, otherwise minoxidil has trashed my hair without remorse.

I’ll update with any results

Best
    Steve

Just to give you an idea how much I’m shedding on minoxidil. Here’s my sink after one application and a light comb-through with a wide toothed comb

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC852ABC-3F27-41A2-8EAC-43B7D6D7CC8B.jpg

Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	60876

Most of those “thick” hairs are actually two or three clumped together

any updates?