+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How close are we to an actual cure?

Seen lots of talk saying a cure is close, but is it actually? Haven't they been saying it is for years now?

5 to 7 years.

It's always 5 to 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    5 to 7 years.

It's always 5 to 7 years.

:-'(

Guess it'll be true someday

I think it would be good if a thread like this was a sticky on this forum - a quick overview of where everything's at with a 'cure'.

There are face transplants now. We can grow meat in a lab. Why in the name of ruddy eff, is there not a way to just replicate a hair follicle for a person, and transplant it onto their head? It's annoying, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    I think it would be good if a thread like this was a sticky on this forum - a quick overview of where everything's at with a 'cure'.

There are face transplants now. We can grow meat in a lab. Why in the name of ruddy eff, is there not a way to just replicate a hair follicle for a person, and transplant it onto their head? It's annoying, to say the least.
    Good chance they will be able to grow you hair and transplant it in another 10 years. chances of a 100 percent cure are near zero for anytime in the next 20 years. I do think in the next 5 years there will be another treatment that is similar in effectiveness somewhere between propecia and minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrida View Post
    :-'(

Guess it'll be true someday
    I remember in 1985 first hearing about Minox... and everyone saying that it was just the first step. That in 5 to 7 years there would be a cure...

Think about that-- if they could harvest a few hairs from the back of your head. Grow or clone them in the lab, then have you come in for a 5,000 graft session.

It would basically be batch processing at that point...

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    I remember in 1985 first hearing about Minox... and everyone saying that it was just the first step. That in 5 to 7 years there would be a cure...
    I remember hearing Spencer Kobren say that in 1998 when he started the bald truth radio show, that he really felt there was a sense that something was about to change, and that he was sure that a cure really would happen in the next 5 years (so, by 2003).

To me, it's kinda crazy, that this physically harmless but psychologically crippling (for some men) condition doesn't have some solution like just taking a DHT resistant hair and cloning it a few thousand times, and transplanting it. It really shouldn't be a problem anymore, still, in 2019.

Well define cure.

If you mean recovery from nw7 then likely pretty far away unless something comes out of nowhere. Tsuji HF primordium is probably the best bet but its not like hes worked out all the technical issues yet and hes still not trialing on humans yet.

If you meant better treatments, well they are super close. There are multiple treatments in phase 3 trials. Histogen, and sm0445 off the top of my head. There are several other treatments in phase 2 trials.

Dutasteride + minoxodil would delay hair loss pretty much indefinitely for almost everyone. Fin + Minox alone will do it for most people. There will definitely be outliers which these don't affect and that is partially to do with other pathologies influencing aga as well like zinc deficiency or lack or vitamin d production.

I've been hearing 5 years away for over 25 years and still, we are no closer. All hairs are still on your scalp when you go bald. Androgenic alopecia is just accelerated aging. How do we turn the back on? That is the best short term answer and no one has it. Topical finasteride with minoxidil is the best solution I've seen so far and without the side effects so that is great.