+ Reply to Thread

Default 23 going on to 24 losing my hair :(

Hi guys,
    I am 23 years of age and over the last few years have seen my hair slowly thin out. When I was younger I used to have thick hair that the barbers would comment and say I would never go bald with such thick beautiful hair, haha guess they were wrong.

I am in graduate school and appearance is important in my field. So losing my hair concerns me. I can not really tell if I am really losing hair a great deal or not. This last summer I sought the opinions of 3 dermatologists, the first one said here is a prescription for propecia. The second said nothing was wrong and that my hair was normal. The third recommended I try rogaine.

This being about 6 months ago, my hair literally over the last few days seems to show up a lot on my pillow case. I can routinely pick out over the day 30 hairs or so from the pillow, some in the shower, and maybe 30more over the day course.

I am young, unattached, and want to keep my hair. I have started none of the recommended prescriptions. I do have the rogaine but have no used it. My father was pretty much bald at 30 and had several hair transplants to maintain a somewhat natural look. Shall I start the rogaine?(I am afraid to) start the propecia(I am still so young and worry I would prefer not to alter my body chemistry at this age)?

Any advice? I feel desperate and sad every time I look in the mirror, I sometimes even avoid looking at my head bc I don't want to see if things are getting worse.

Thanks for the advice.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by naj9 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am 23 years of age and over the last few years have seen my hair slowly thin out. When I was younger I used to have thick hair that the barbers would comment and say I would never go bald with such thick beautiful hair, haha guess they were wrong.

I am in graduate school and appearance is important in my field. So losing my hair concerns me. I can not really tell if I am really losing hair a great deal or not. This last summer I sought the opinions of 3 dermatologists, the first one said here is a prescription for propecia. The second said nothing was wrong and that my hair was normal. The third recommended I try rogaine.

This being about 6 months ago, my hair literally over the last few days seems to show up a lot on my pillow case. I can routinely pick out over the day 30 hairs or so from the pillow, some in the shower, and maybe 30more over the day course.

I am young, unattached, and want to keep my hair. I have started none of the recommended prescriptions. I do have the rogaine but have no used it. My father was pretty much bald at 30 and had several hair transplants to maintain a somewhat natural look. Shall I start the rogaine?(I am afraid to) start the propecia(I am still so young and worry I would prefer not to alter my body chemistry at this age)?

Any advice? I feel desperate and sad every time I look in the mirror, I sometimes even avoid looking at my head bc I don't want to see if things are getting worse.

Thanks for the advice.
    Alex
    Hi

I’ve been listening to The Bald Truth for over six years and the most important piece of advice that I hear over and over again is to start Propecia early. I’ve been on it for five years and have done very well.

I am now considering a transplant some time in the future, but I have a lot of hair still because of Propecia.

Alex,

I'm 32 but I started losing my hair at 23. I was scared to try anything in the beginning. I thought about transplant as a last resort. I didn't want to take a pill for fear of affecting my chemistry and I will have children and was worried about that as well.

I've spent about 9 years now looking in a mirror and feeling sad or depressed. Some days are better than others. I've even dimmed the lights in my bathroom to help convince myself its not that bad. Funny. I wish I had started taking Propecia 9 years ago but I honestly hadn't heard of it. I didn't want to put rogaine in my hair every day cause the thought of having to do it every day seems like a huge huge pain in the ass.

I started taking Propecia 3 months ago and I can actually see thin hairs coming in. I can notice a different consistency in my 'stuff' but I'm going to keep an eye on it and get it checked out every year for fertility, etc and I can be happy with that. I am also going to get a HT in the next few months so I am really hopeful.

I just want to say that you should try Propecia cause if you don't it's just gonna get worse and bother you more. Take how you're feeling now and keep multiplying it cause it will undoubtably get worse every day. Scary I know. I know from reading posts and talking to doctors that they've taken Propecia and have had healthy children and no side effects but use it at your own discretion of course.

I wish you luck. I feel your pain and I hope you figure it out. I also want to add that I'm quite a normal guy. If you talked to me on the street you wouldn't know I had a problem with my hair. Firstly, I'd probably be wearing a hat and also because guys are good at hiding emotions. I was even afraid to tell my family I was considering a HT at the age of 32. It's scary but don't feel that you're alone.

Hi Alex. This is Lilit writing.

Well, as a woman, when I used a rogen, I have noticed more hair loss, but I only used the top left side of my head. My pharmesist recommended to me to use the male rogen, they told me that it works the same for woman and men. But that was not true. I am not sure how it will work for you. You may want to doulbe check with your doctor, or even read the side effect part on the rogen treatment. It does not work for some people, however, some patient are happy with the resolts. Do more reasearch.