+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New and worried about thinning at the crown

I'm a 21 year old male who has recently started to worry about thinning around the crown. Gonna post three links. First one is a picture under a flash and the next two pictures under direct sunlight. What do you all think?

http://imgur.com/a/JrKSgnV
    http://imgur.com/a/xWBRQ0Z
    http://imgur.com/a/IFoJRyH

Should be noted this is when my hair is a bit greasy prior to showering.

Anybody?

When I was 19, I noticed the same thinning of the crown, but the thinning stopped for a long time. Unfortunately, in my 30's it started to thin even more. Male pattern hair loss is influenced by testosterone and metabolites of it. At 21, you certainly have that influence now. Hair loss is multifactorial. Genetics, environment and emotional. Stress of college seemed to have an influence on me, but when I was in my 30's, that most likely is genetic as my mother's father and uncles were all bald. The baldness gene is on the X chromosome, hence if you are male, it is from your mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    When I was 19, I noticed the same thinning of the crown, but the thinning stopped for a long time. Unfortunately, in my 30's it started to thin even more. Male pattern hair loss is influenced by testosterone and metabolites of it. At 21, you certainly have that influence now. Hair loss is multifactorial. Genetics, environment and emotional. Stress of college seemed to have an influence on me, but when I was in my 30's, that most likely is genetic as my mother's father and uncles were all bald. The baldness gene is on the X chromosome, hence if you are male, it is from your mother.
    So then this does look like thinning to you? My maternal grandfather was bald, but he was allegedly an alcoholic. My father has a nice head of hair at 70 with no thinning at the crown and he's probably a NW2.5. My oldest brother (31) doesn't seem to have any balding at the crown nor a ton of recession at the frontal hairline. I've also been told I have very fine hair (thin strands). Also, what do you mean I have that influence? As in DHT and metabolites could affect me at my age? Or they are already?

Also, thank you for your reply, Marc.

I don't see anything but you need a before picture to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    I don't see anything but you need a before picture to compare.
    I don't have any :/

Just started worrying about this a few days ago.

Some people naturally have thinner hair. If you have noticed more thinning in the last year or two as evidence of hair in the shower, and you never noticed that before, then this shows an active thinning. If you have always had thin hair, then this is not an active concern. Male pattern baldness is not inherited from your dad, but only from your mom. Your mom has 2 X chromosomes, and you have one of them. One is from her father, and one is from her mother. Your brother may have the same X chromosome as you, or he may have the other one. DHT is a precursor to testosterone and as a male, you have its influence on your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    Some people naturally have thinner hair. If you have noticed more thinning in the last year or two as evidence of hair in the shower, and you never noticed that before, then this shows an active thinning. If you have always had thin hair, then this is not an active concern. Male pattern baldness is not inherited from your dad, but only from your mom. Your mom has 2 X chromosomes, and you have one of them. One is from her father, and one is from her mother. Your brother may have the same X chromosome as you, or he may have the other one. DHT is a precursor to testosterone and as a male, you have its influence on your hair.
    Thanks for the input.

Any other opinions? I can always add a picture or two under different lighting conditions with less greasy hair.

http://i.imgur.com/NedR7PX.jpg

Here's another picture when washed. Ah, important to note my mother usually cuts my hair and she hasn't seen anything wrong with my crown, but I'm still not sure.

Here's another picture after having showered.

http://imgur.com/a/88vEA6t