+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 and potential diffuse thinning

Hi,

This is going to be a long one, sorry in advanced.

New member here. So I think I maybe diffuse thinning, or male pattern baldness. I'm 21 years old and I have always had thick hair. I think my hair line has always been receded slightly since i was 17, but I think now it’s a bit much? I haven't noticed any thinning on my crown but I am not sure? As for the rest of my scalp I think it’s pretty obvious that I'm thinning. I was recently diagnosed with really bad pneumonia (about one month ago) but I'm much better now, a bit of research indicated that pneumonia and the anti-biotics that come with curing it may lead to telogen effluvium, but there isn't much research into this. As for genetics, my whole dad’s side doesn't have much male pattern baldness except those that are 55+ (obv). My mum's side pretty much all have male pattern baldness. My dad has male pattern baldness but he's 60+ and my older brother has a full head of hair, he's 30+. I have been taking supplements now, fish oil, iron, zinc and swisse (hair, skin and nail supplement) for men pretty much daily, but I've only been a couple of days on that. I have also been putting coconut oil in my hair, and (trying) to leave it overnight. What do you guys think, because frankly I am freaking out, you only need to look at my phone and the amount of photos I've taken. My friends and family reckon i am overreacting, but again, I’m not sure what to think. You reckon I should start on minoxidil, if yeah, liquid or foam for the length of my hair? What about fina? Topical or tablet? I am going to see my GP after Christmas, hopefully he'll refer me to a dermatologist. Also, the tensile strength of my hair is complete rubbish, it rips so easily, idk if that’s to do with hair loss or poor hair management. If you guys need any more info, lemme know I’ll try to update you. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: All of these pics are like one day old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6138.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	60466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6137.jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	60467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	60468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6135.jpg

Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	60469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6134.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	60470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6133.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	60471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6132.jpg

Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	60472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6131.jpg

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	60473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6127.jpg

Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	60474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6126.jpg

Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	60475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6125.jpg

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	60476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6124.jpg

Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	60477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6123.jpg

Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	60478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6118.jpg

Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	60479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6121.jpg

Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	60480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6116.jpg

Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	60481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6115.jpg

Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	60482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6114.jpg

Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	60483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6113.jpg

Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	60484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6112.jpg

Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	60485  

Hello, before you start any treatment I would definitely get a proper diagnosis that you have MPB, like you said, TE is always an option (especially as you have been ill). However, if you are diagnosed with MPB fin and minoxidil are generally very effective on diffuse thinners (I myself am I diffuse thinner and have very good results using both in combination).

Hi, thanks for your reply. A question though, based on the pics you reckon it’s TE or MPB? I don’t think TE causes a receding hairline? And with your diffuse thinning, was it all over the scalp or front area? I feel like my thinning is only on the front of my scalp, there’s no indication of thinning on the crown.

Hello, yes you are right, TE does not cause a receding hair line, and as you do have signs of recession and a strong history of MPB on your Mother's side then unfortunately you probably are suffering from MPB (I just always try and encourage people on here to get an official diagnosis rather than jumping in with 'yes you're going bald''. With regards to my own balding, I had significant diffusing with almost zero recession (this often happens with diffuse thinners) so my hairline had not moved, however everything behind my hairline was severely diffused. It spread from just behind my hairline across my entire front and midscalp and was beginning to affect my crown as well. I initially had longish hair so the true extent was somewhat masked. When I began treatment I shaved my head down to a grade 2, that was when I could see clearly that I was diffusing in roughly a NW5 pattern.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Diffuse

So an update (if anyone's interested lol), I havent seen my doctor, he is still on holidays but i plan on using fin, just need a prescription from him, but ive been using minoxidil for about 3 days, the anxiety's been killing me so thats why i started, I opted for the liquid version because of the length of my hair, apparently its easier to apply to longer hair. Ive just got one question, I am finding it super hard to apply it to my scalp, because i find 1ml to little, and i feel like alot of it gets in my hair? Any tips on this would be appreciated, also the minoxidil is generic, is that ok? Ill try posting update pics when in 3 or so months

Hello, yes min is a nightmare to apply to long hair and most of it just gets stuck in the hair itself (I've grown my hair out to a grade six and finding it difficult even at this length). IMHO, I would cut your hair short (especially as it seems you're pretty serious about treatment), that way you'll be able to get much better contact with your scalp. And yes for diffuse thinners 1ml is not enough, even with short hair I use s full cap full morning and night (ie use as much as you need to get all the thinning areas, within reason obviously)