Threaded View

Default About to turn 22 and nearly completely bald

I have been coming to this forum for nearly two years and finally decided to make an account tonight. I am 21 years old and nearly completely bald on top (looking to be a Norwood 6 approaching 7). I tried taking propecia at the age of 18 when I first noticed my hair thinning in the front but stopped one month later after I experienced the sexual side effects that they say only occurs in less than 2% of people who take it. When I first noticed my hair was thinning I tried hiding it by growing it out as long as I possibly could. Unfortunately by the time I was 19 I became so self conscious because every time the wind blew, my hair would fly around and people could see I was styling my hair in a way that hid my baldness. At that point I thought I should just embrace my hair loss and just shave my head.... so I did (right down to a guard 1). For awhile I forgot I was going bald and things started to seem good because most people could not notice my hair thinning. I was content with myself until I noticed the 5 o'clock shadow on my head was thinning at a fast pace in the front so I kept shaving hair closer to my skin until I was buzzing my head at a zero guard every 5 days. At this point I was so self conscious that I would wear hats on the third day after shaving my head because I didn't like my head shape and I began to feel like I was old because nobody believed I was only 20 years old. A girl I feel in love with told me she wasn't physically attracted to me and began to date another guy and from that day one my insecurities took control of my life in ways I'm still feeling today. By the time I turned 21 I was so insecure with myself that I began my routine ofwearing hats. A couple of months ago I decided to grow my hair out and let it grow for about two months. After that I decided to visit a hair transplant surgeon because I was tired of feeling insecure. However, after examining my case he informed me that I might be a DUPA (diffused unpatterned alopecia) case which really crushed me. Right now I am in a really low place in my life. I feel depressed and unhappy with my appearance even though I'm still so young. I wear hats everywhere I go and I pass up opportunities that come my way because I'm self conscious of my appearance. I know I still have my health but I never thought something as glamorizing as hair could change somebody so dramatically. I have yet to meet one person my age that can relate to my hair loss but this forum keeps me optomistic that one day I will have a thick head of hair again.

If anybody has any advice please give it to me because I'm struggling to move on with my life and get past my insecurities.