Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbaldinglikeamofo
    • Jul 2010

Avodart success or failure?

Ok I want some clear answers if Avodart worked for you....so please if you one of those that uses the fake avodart bought from the internet, this thread is not for you.

For those of you taking THE REAL avodart:

What dose are you on?
    Does it work for you?
    How long does it take to see results?
    Can you describe your results?
    Were you on propecia before avodart?
    What was the time period between quiting propecia and starting avodart?
  • mkamph
    • Dec 2008

i'm on .5mg/day and it does work. i noticed my hair thickening within a week. my thinning is in the crown and it thickened it up quite a bit. i had been on propecia for about 7 years before switching. i didn't have a break between meds. avodart is definitely a better med for hair loss than propecia. i also use rogaine foam twice a day.

Comment

• imbaldinglikeamofo
      • Jul 2010

how many years have you been using avodart now?

Comment

• mkamph
        • Dec 2008

i just started using the brand name stuff about 2 months ago (maybe more), but before that i used the generic stuff for three years. the generic stuff worked better than the brand name propecia.

Comment

• mattj
          Doctor Representative
          • Oct 2009

Did you switch to avodart because propecia was losing effectiveness?
          I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• mkamph
            • Dec 2008

no, i was experimenting. i wanted to see if avodart was more effective. my crown had thinned a bit and propecia had thickened it and halted any furthur loss/thinning. a few friends had been using dutasteride with good results, so i switched to it and noticed additional thickening. after three years, i was able to get a hold of the brand name stuff and it has been even more effective. i haven't experienced any negative side effects.

Comment

• BradPiff
              • Sep 2009

yep. ive been takin avodart for almost a year now and have had incredible results. doctor prescribed it to me over propecia, cuz i was desperate, so he gave me the "stronger drug"

Comment

• imbaldinglikeamofo
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by mkamph
                no, i was experimenting. i wanted to see if avodart was more effective. my crown had thinned a bit and propecia had thickened it and halted any furthur loss/thinning. a few friends had been using dutasteride with good results, so i switched to it and noticed additional thickening. after three years, i was able to get a hold of the brand name stuff and it has been even more effective. i haven't experienced any negative side effects.
                How long have you and your friends been using avodart with success? I'm trying to determine how long its been affective for most people.

Comment

• ThinFast
                  • Apr 2010

I took Avodart over a period of 18 months. This was immediately after taking propecia for 12 months. Unfortunately neither drug seemed to slow my loss. I started off at .5mg/day of Avodart and after 12 months, I stepped up to 1mg/day. That lasted for 3 months, then I tried an additional 3 months at 1.5mg/day... still saw no improvement. I also do believe I suffered from side effects on Avodart. I stopped taking the medication as I seem to have to began developing gynecomastia. It does seem to have subsided somewhat after me being off Avodart for the past few months. It's a very expensive drug on top of that, I just wish I had some positive feedback from it. Many others do seem to have success with it.

Comment

• CVAZBAR
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ThinFast
                    I took Avodart over a period of 18 months. This was immediately after taking propecia for 12 months. Unfortunately neither drug seemed to slow my loss. I started off at .5mg/day of Avodart and after 12 months, I stepped up to 1mg/day. That lasted for 3 months, then I tried an additional 3 months at 1.5mg/day... still saw no improvement. I also do believe I suffered from side effects on Avodart. I stopped taking the medication as I seem to have to began developing gynecomastia. It does seem to have subsided somewhat after me being off Avodart for the past few months. It's a very expensive drug on top of that, I just wish I had some positive feedback from it. Many others do seem to have success with it.
                    Have you thought about 2-2.5mg a day of avodart??

Comment

• mkamph
                      • Dec 2008

some friends have been on it for 10 years. i've been on it for about 4.

Comment

• ThinFast
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by CVAZBAR
                        Have you thought about 2-2.5mg a day of avodart??
                        There were a couple of reasons I couldn't do that much. First was cost, I got my avodart from a local grocery store and 1 month supply of 30 pills went for $112 USD. I didn't trust getting a generic or going through some Canadian online pharmacy option. I was spending $336 a month when I was at 1.5mg/day and I just couldn't afford to do so anymore and justify paying more for avodart than my car payment. The other big problem is that I began to develop gynecomastia. It went away when I stopped taking the Avodart.

Comment

• CVAZBAR
                          • Dec 2010

There were a couple of reasons I couldn't do that much. First was cost, I got my avodart from a local grocery store and 1 month supply of 30 pills went for $112 USD. I didn't trust getting a generic or going through some Canadian online pharmacy option. I was spending $336 a month when I was at 1.5mg/day and I just couldn't afford to do so anymore and justify paying more for avodart than my car payment. The other big problem is that I began to develop gynecomastia. It went away when I stopped taking the Avodart.
                          From what ive read about you, it seems like you have the same type of hairloss as me so i found it interesting that Propecia nor Avodart worked for you. I took Propecia 6 months and felt it didnt do shit, so i switched to Avodart and just started. Im hoping it can at least halt my hair loss because I'm losing it real fast. How long did you take Avodart? Are you sure you were getting Gynecomastia? That's real strange knowing other people have took it with no problems at all. I heard that some people "load" up on Avodart first to get it working like taking 2 mg for the first month and than taking .5 mg a day after that. You think if you tried that, your luck my change? I dont understand how that would not even slow it down. Did you speak with your doctor about it?

Comment

• ThinFast
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by CVAZBAR
                            From what ive read about you, it seems like you have the same type of hairloss as me so i found it interesting that Propecia nor Avodart worked for you. I took Propecia 6 months and felt it didnt do shit, so i switched to Avodart and just started. Im hoping it can at least halt my hair loss because I'm losing it real fast. How long did you take Avodart? Are you sure you were getting Gynecomastia? That's real strange knowing other people have took it with no problems at all. I heard that some people "load" up on Avodart first to get it working like taking 2 mg for the first month and than taking .5 mg a day after that. You think if you tried that, your luck my change? I dont understand how that would not even slow it down. Did you speak with your doctor about it?
                            I was on propecia from about March 2009 until March 2010 and never saw any improvement. I flew down to see Dr. Bauman and have him assess my hair condition April 2, 2009, he prescribed me .5mg/day of Avodart which I promptly began taking April 3, 2009. By June 1, 2009, I increased my dosage to 1mg/day. I know that by Septmeber or 2009, I had sent Dr. Bauman an email asking for a new script that would boost me up to 1.5mg/day.

I'd have to check my old calendar books and pharmacy receipts to confirm the amounts I took, when and how long I continued on them. Overall though, I'd say I have been on a minimum of .5mg/day of Avodart from April, 2009 through today, with a break of about 3 months around the winter of 2009-2010. I did this once I realized what was happening to my chest, my girlfriend also confirmed that my suspicion was real when I asked her opinion about it. I've actually read a lot of posts on here where users have issues with just .5mg/Avodart, so I wasn't too surprised that I was starting to see some side effects of it.

When I spoke to Dr. Bauman about my lack of positive results and also about the results of my HairDx tests which said I would have a high likelihood of great results on Propecia, he mentioned that I may just have more receptors on each follicle than most MPB sufferers. While it is possible that Propecia and Avodart do have significant impact on me in reducing the amount of DHT that would cling to each receptor, I may just have too many receptors. The number of receptors each follicle has is something that the HairDx test cannot account for.

I think that maybe if I kept up at a high dosage of 2 mg-2.5 mg/day it could possibly slow my loss. I base this on one (unscientific) trend that I have noticed from posters who say they have experienced side effects from either taking some form of Fin or Dut. It seems that those who experience the greatest side effects are also those who perceive the best results from taking those meds.

Comment

• CVAZBAR
                              • Dec 2010

I was on propecia from about March 2009 until March 2010 and never saw any improvement. I flew down to see Dr. Bauman and have him assess my hair condition April 2, 2009, he prescribed me .5mg/day of Avodart which I promptly began taking April 3, 2009. By June 1, 2009, I increased my dosage to 1mg/day. I know that by Septmeber or 2009, I had sent Dr. Bauman an email asking for a new script that would boost me up to 1.5mg/day.

I'd have to check my old calendar books and pharmacy receipts to confirm the amounts I took, when and how long I continued on them. Overall though, I'd say I have been on a minimum of .5mg/day of Avodart from April, 2009 through today, with a break of about 3 months around the winter of 2009-2010. I did this once I realized what was happening to my chest, my girlfriend also confirmed that my suspicion was real when I asked her opinion about it. I've actually read a lot of posts on here where users have issues with just .5mg/Avodart, so I wasn't too surprised that I was starting to see some side effects of it.

When I spoke to Dr. Bauman about my lack of positive results and also about the results of my HairDx tests which said I would have a high likelihood of great results on Propecia, he mentioned that I may just have more receptors on each follicle than most MPB sufferers. While it is possible that Propecia and Avodart do have significant impact on me in reducing the amount of DHT that would cling to each receptor, I may just have too many receptors. The number of receptors each follicle has is something that the HairDx test cannot account for.

I think that maybe if I kept up at a high dosage of 2 mg-2.5 mg/day it could possibly slow my loss. I base this on one (unscientific) trend that I have noticed from posters who say they have experienced side effects from either taking some form of Fin or Dut. It seems that those who experience the greatest side effects are also those who perceive the best results from taking those meds.
                              Hmmm thats very strange because when my doctor saw me, he also told me he believed i would get great results because my hair line was the same. I really did not have a pattern of loss, but I'm thinning from the hairline to crown down the middle. It seems that we are ****ed haha. It's a bit difficult for me to understand what the receptors do to impact the loss of hair and i don't know what HairDX is but can you do anything about the receptors? I do understand that many people get side effects from these meds but its very strange that you were getting Gyno in just a year? What i was going to say is to maybe re-consider taking .5 mg and maybe you can hold on to as much hair as you can because we might be getting new treatments in a couple of years. Histogen and Acell seem very promising and even if i took 2.5 mg a day, i would not think of doing it long term, maybe just for a couple of years. The problem with you is the Gyno but maybe you need to confirm this with a doctor to make sure. Has Spencer said anything about the TRx2? There has to be something else you can do bro, especially if the Doc said your hair growth seemed promising. Receptors???? That gets me pissed off.

Comment

Working...