+ Reply to Thread

Default 6 weeks on finasteride...

Hey guys,

Just after some genuine advice and help from anyone who is or has been in my position.

I'm 30 years old and noticed some slight diffusing of my crown so jumped on generic finasteride 6 weeks ago. I started on 1mg every day. In the first two weeks I didn't notice any additional shedding, but my hair quality plummeted massively. It's extremely dry and felt terribly thin. I've always had thick, longish hair. But my hair just turned to straw and hasn't recovered. I couldn't find anything online from others who have experienced this.

For about a month now my shedding has increased and my hair is coming out so easily when gently running my fingers through it. Pretty terrifying, and because I'm obviously losing hair and the dry brittleness of my hair, my scalp is becoming alot more noticeable under certain lighting, all over, not just at the crown. Even my sides and back feel thin. I've tried many conditioners but nothing is working. I'm also using Nizoral shampoo twice a week, but was using that before fin and my hair quality was fine.

I've noticed my skin is more oily now, particularly on my nose, forehead and inside of my ears, I've had a slight increase of acne too, it seems. I don't think I'm suffering from any other sides. Theres a slight itch every now and then but that could just be normal and I'm nore conscious of it now.

For about the last 2 weeks I've been taking .5 of fin in attempt to curb this. My mood has really gone south too. I've suffered with low moods before, but I've found myself randomly breaking down recently. Not sure if this is more to do with the fear of losing my hair though.

I don't know if I'm suffering from reflex hyperandrogenicity, which seems to be more common than people would like to admit.

I know there is an initial shed with medication etc, and it's too early for results but can anyone tell me from experience what I should do? Struggle with these symptoms and hope for the best or come off the drug. If I am to come off, can I expect my shedding to slow? Hair quality to return? It's definitely kicked started something because in the space of a month my hair has gone kaput.

Thank you for any help.

Anyone? Thanks

Hello, I would stick with taking it for at least a good few months before you make a decision. I also experienced a similar situation to yourself when I started finasteride. Your body should begin to adjust to it soon.

Yeah, man, me too. I’m at aboit 6 weeks as well and my hairline just keeps getting farther and farther back, mm. by mm. I believe I’ve encountered a shed as well but like the system tells us, we just need to be patient. Only time is gonna tell us if this crap will work. Good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffuse33 View Post
    Hello, I would stick with taking it for at least a good few months before you make a decision. I also experienced a similar situation to yourself when I started finasteride. Your body should begin to adjust to it soon.
    I've just seen so many accounts of it accelerating hair loss. I know its a gamble and nobody can really guess how an individual will react. Has it worked well for you? Thanks for your replies