+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 23 basically completely bald. Basically ruined any social life I had.

Hey guys. My names matt im 23 years old and my life’s been turned around since losing my hair. I committed to a full shave because it was patchy and disgusting so if my hat was to come off it wouldn’t be as embarrassing.

It’s been a year and a half since I started losing my hair. And in that time I have not entered any place. (RSL, Clubs, Formal Occasions) since it’s been like this. I have a girlfriend I currently live with her it’s not the issue she accepts me for it she says she likes it I highly doubt it but thank god there’s one person I can feel comfortable being around with no hat. I’ve had a job at this place for 2 years. Not one single person at my workplace has seen me with my hat off even if it’s boiling hot I will not take off my hat in 2 years not once. I would not be able to be employed without being able to wear a hat if it were to come off in public then I legitimate panic attacks as it’s come off accidentally a few times. If it happened at work or they made it a requirement no more hats I would honestly quit my job.

I have not been out socially with friends for the most past since this as they usually want to go to an rsl or club or just the fear that is what they will want to do or that my hat will come off. I have no idea what Nordic value I am a 6 or 7 I’m pretty sure I’m not eligible for a FUE transplant and I spend most of my free time on my phone googling bald cures. I tried rogaine 3 month cycle after my crown had gone and it did not add any hair growth

Was originally going to hide my face and took many photos but I want genuine advice at what I could possibly do so I just made a video with a view around my head.

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/xeQc47W_Ipg

If that is you in the video , you look absolutely fine .
    Your issue is in your head , not what's not on your head.
    Take the hat off, get some color and start enjoying life .
    Go on a vacation , walk around without the hat for a couple weeks and get used to it .
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with how you look

Hello, firstly I commend your honest post. I agree with DAVE52 you look absolutely fine, the shaved head look suits your features and head shape. I know that is not much consolation coming from another balding male (as all you want is hair on your head). With regards to what you can do psychologically, you must try and accept who you are & accept the hand you have been dealt in life; don't compare yourself to other men who have full heads of amazing hair - that will just upset you. Look around you, look how others suffer more than yourself. Look at other bald men, bald men with funny shaped heads, or people who are disabled/disfigured and bald as well. When I had just left school and used to catch the bus to work, every morning a man would get on the bus with me. He was young-ish and not only a solid Norwood 7 but his back was bent backwards constantly at an angle of about 30 degrees, so he was almost and 'L' shape walking around looking at the sky with the whole world staring at him. Anyway, my point is, he had to continue living his life, going to work, earning money, striving for acceptance and peace of mind.

You should start to slowly wean yourself off wearing your hat. Start by setting yourself small challenges; for example, go for a short walk without your hat, then a longer walk, then maybe go to the corner shop without your hat, then maybe a trip to the supermarket etc... Slowly build up confidence and an inner tolerance to not wearing your hat. Then, eventually one day you may even be able to take your hat off at work.

As to whether or not you will be able to grow some hair back, it's hard to say; every one responds differently to treatments. From the video you posted it is hard to see how advanced your balding is (as your hair is shaved very short); how much hair do you have on the top of your head, and how long has it been in it's current state?

All the best.

Thank you guys for the responses actually made my day to be honest haha

What’s funny is I’ve always liked a shaved head and usually just got a buzz cut but the issue is not having the hairline and that you can see where my head is completely bald compared to the shaved part.

I never looked into SMP until last night after posting this and am thinking if I was to undergo any treatment that would be it but I’m scared now that it will be obvious it’s a tattoo.

Admittedly, I don't know much about SMP. However, from my understand that it is basically a tattoo giving the impression of a full head of hair but shaved right down (don't get me wrong I've seen pictures of them done and they look pretty impressive, albeit the hairlines look too straight, thus too artificial IMO) I have major concerns. For example, the shaved right down look might suit who you are now and for many years to come, however when you are an old man can you guarantee you will still want that look? I haven't seen many old men with shaved heads, bald heads yes, but shaved right down like a young man, no. Also, in your old age letting the 'horse shoe' area of hair grow a little longer whilst being completely bald on top is a very acceptable look (for an old man) My dad is 70, he has rocked a longish (1 to 2 inch) horseshoe hairstyle for years, and because of his age it doesn't look 'strange' or our of place at all. Moreover, if you have SMP you will have to keep your remaining hair short (very short) for the rest of your life); can you imagine in your old age growing the horseshoe area out a little longer (which may be grey by then) but having SMP all over the front and mid-scalp? Anyway, I am not purposely trying to rain on your parade with regarding SMP, just giving you some food for thought.

Have you considered Finasteride? I know you mentioned you had tried rogaine for 3 months before. A combination of fin, rogaine and derma rolling (0.5mm, to 1.0mm) could get you some coverage back on the top, you could then buzz it back down and it would you give a better buzzed head 'outline' look.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadlife View Post
    What’s funny is I’ve always liked a shaved head and usually just got a buzz cut but the issue is not having the hairline and that you can see where my head is completely bald compared to the shaved part.
    The solution to your issue is there, you need to get over it , and move on . No SMP , if that screws up you'll wish you never did it

Inactive

Echoing the other guys here to tell you that you look great with the shaved head and really pull the look off. I understand that it may not be ideal, but what a beautiful opportunity to embrace what life has given you and make the most of it. You really do have all the right features for this look, and once you start owning your look and building up your confidence, your social and professional life will change drastically.

Not to mention, you already have a girlfriend who approves, so how much more validation do you need? Best of luck - and seriously KUDOS for being courages and vulnerable enough to talk about this on a forum.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadlife View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses actually made my day to be honest haha

I never looked into SMP until last night after posting this and am thinking if I was to undergo any treatment that would be it but I’m scared now that it will be obvious it’s a tattoo.
    dude, you look strong and athletic and trendy w/ the shaved head. a lot of girls go wild for that look. i hope you get the confidence to enjoy it.

i went bald young, too. i'm late 30s and wish i was early 20s again. hair be damned.

I am an SMP artist, the best advice I can give you is to be sure you go to someone who has photos of their work, not just phone call references. Also make sure during your consultation they answer all your questions, as you should have many. A good SMP artist will know the answer to you growing older and grey hairs coming in etc. I would love to answer any questions or concerns you have regarding it, maybe even a consultation. Where are you located?

You may be losing the battle but you haven't lost the war. Look up hairclone, it looks promising, even for the upper norwoods.