+ Reply to Thread

Default New hair growing 4 weeks after HT?

Hi all,

So, I had a FUT about 4 weeks ago. A lot of hair has fallen out, as I expected it to, no big deal. What is throwing me a little bit is that I seem to be getting new hairs growing already. They're just peeking out but they are definitely there, and they don't seem "wispy". Also, I am getting a lot of acne on my scalp, which I've read is to be expected once new growth occurs. That said, it seems way too early to see any growth at all. Do some small number of grafts just remain in the growth phase, or should I expect these new hairs to fall out before I get "real" growth? Coinciding with the HT, I also began Propecia for the first time. It also seems too soon to get any results from that. I'm going to grow my hair out as much as possible to cover up the acne because it's significant, and I'm wondering if I'll have more as more grafts begin to yield results. Basically I'm just wondering what's going on and if this is typical.

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if this has been discussed before. I searched and couldn't find anything about it.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by jconley View Post
    Hi all,

So, I had a FUT about 4 weeks ago. A lot of hair has fallen out, as I expected it to, no big deal. What is throwing me a little bit is that I seem to be getting new hairs growing already. They're just peeking out but they are definitely there, and they don't seem "wispy". Also, I am getting a lot of acne on my scalp, which I've read is to be expected once new growth occurs. That said, it seems way too early to see any growth at all. Do some small number of grafts just remain in the growth phase, or should I expect these new hairs to fall out before I get "real" growth? Coinciding with the HT, I also began Propecia for the first time. It also seems too soon to get any results from that. I'm going to grow my hair out as much as possible to cover up the acne because it's significant, and I'm wondering if I'll have more as more grafts begin to yield results. Basically I'm just wondering what's going on and if this is typical.

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if this has been discussed before. I searched and couldn't find anything about it.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!
    its definitely possible to get early growth. I have had 4 transplants and in two of them probably %50 of the hair never fell out and kept growing. You never know how things will I would say your a little early, pimples are often in grown hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    its definitely possible to get early growth. I have had 4 transplants and in two of them probably %50 of the hair never fell out and kept growing. You never know how things will I would say your a little early, pimples are often in grown hairs.
    Thank you for the reply -- much appreciated!

Inactive

It's quite possible - and also possible that these are surrounding native hairs growing back after being shaved down. Either way, I would just enjoy the growth and not worry too much about the logistics of it. Practicing early on how to not analyze your hair/results too frequently will only set you up for a more positive, less stressful post HT experience.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Hi jconley,

Great news if it's indeed early growth! Did you get any PRP along with your procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by pkipling View Post
    It's quite possible - and also possible that these are surrounding native hairs growing back after being shaved down. Either way, I would just enjoy the growth and not worry too much about the logistics of it. Practicing early on how to not analyze your hair/results too frequently will only set you up for a more positive, less stressful post HT experience.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.
    Good advice indeed! I'm certain these are new hairs, I knew my old hairline pretty well (there wasn't much to keep track of ) but I will resist the urge to look in the mirror multiple times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by benny g View Post
    Hi jconley,

Great news if it's indeed early growth! Did you get any PRP along with your procedure?
    Thanks Benny, no, I did not get any PRP treatments.

So it has been about a month since my last post and I am blown away by the results. I never expected to have this much hair at two and a half months. Now I am wondering if that means my full results will be seen earlier than the 12-14 months quoted by many. On one hand I am ecstatic about the results, but I also wonder if early growth means I won't have a prolonged period of filling in...in other words my grafts didn't go dormant for very long so I shouldn't expect a lot of continued growth going forward. I know there's nothing to do but wait and every case is different. Still I thought I would just see if anyone has thoughts or similar experiences.

Inactive

So it has been about a month since my last post and I am blown away by the results. I never expected to have this much hair at two and a half months. Now I am wondering if that means my full results will be seen earlier than the 12-14 months quoted by many. On one hand I am ecstatic about the results, but I also wonder if early growth means I won't have a prolonged period of filling in...in other words my grafts didn't go dormant for very long so I shouldn't expect a lot of continued growth going forward. I know there's nothing to do but wait and every case is different. Still I thought I would just see if anyone has thoughts or similar experiences.
    I was an early grower myself and had quite significant growth by month 4 (so it was starting to grow even more before then). Not only did my growth continue, but the hairs that grow in early will continue to thicken and mature over time. They start out coming in on the finer side, sometimes wispy, and then continue to get thicker over the course of the 12-18 months. So with that in mind, I'm sure you're right on track.

At this point, all you can do is wait and trust the process - but it doesn't seem like you have much to be concerned about. I'd put that energy into celebrating all this early growth if I were you. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by pkipling View Post
    I was an early grower myself and had quite significant growth by month 4 (so it was starting to grow even more before then). Not only did my growth continue, but the hairs that grow in early will continue to thicken and mature over time. They start out coming in on the finer side, sometimes wispy, and then continue to get thicker over the course of the 12-18 months. So with that in mind, I'm sure you're right on track.

At this point, all you can do is wait and trust the process - but it doesn't seem like you have much to be concerned about. I'd put that energy into celebrating all this early growth if I were you. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Thanks! It's great to hear from someone who had a similar experience. I will celebrate as you say, but temper my expectations since I know every case is different. Can I ask if you saw a significant difference between 12 and 18 months? You mentioned those two times...I guess I thought most everything would be finished by 12-14 months, but the growth continued for you after that?

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Cheers!

Inactive

Thanks! It's great to hear from someone who had a similar experience. I will celebrate as you say, but temper my expectations since I know every case is different. Can I ask if you saw a significant difference between 12 and 18 months? You mentioned those two times...I guess I thought most everything would be finished by 12-14 months, but the growth continued for you after that?

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Cheers!
    The growth/maturation process lasts 12-18 months as a general rule, but there's no formula for this and everyone is different. Most of the improvements seen to your hair during this time period will be the hair thickening up and really becoming more uniform with your other native hairs. I feel like mine continued to mature during this time, but it's so subtle and gradual over time that I don't recall seeing a clear difference. (But I was also an early grower, so maybe I got a lot of mine out of the way earlier anyway.)