+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Beard Transplant Skin Problems

* picture in album on my page *
    (sorry I hope this is not a duplicate, as the last time I clicked submit, it did not show)

Hello, I had a facial hair FUE transplant in Turkey over 7 months ago (April 2018). The clinic seemed reputable (good reviews from foreign clients), but their difficulty communicating in English resulted in a larger and more painful procedure than we had agreed upon. Despite promises of a quick recovery and natural results, I have experienced neither.

The hairline is unnaturally straight and uniform, contains units with multiple hairs, and contrasts the texture and lighter color of my natural hair on my mustache, chin, and temples. Since I already had a mustache and hair growing under my chin/jaw, they only transplanted hairs to my cheeks and under my chin, resulting in clear outlines.

The bigger problem, however, is the damage to my skin. I have experienced persistent redness and hyperpigmentation, along with roughness and bumps, especially on my chin. Even when I shave with a razor, I have a clear outline of the transplanted region. I have an album with pictures on my page, but for some reason the upload size is small.

I have gone to see two doctors in London for advice. The first, in July, was a dermatologist, who has never heard of beard transplants, and advised me to wait before any treatment, and to not use hydrocortisone cream. The second, who I saw two months ago (September 2018), was at a reputable hair transplant clinic, and regularly performs beard transplants. Surprisingly, this surgeon said that the Turkish clinic did a good job with the transplant, but I felt she didn’t do a proper examination of my skin. She did note that they used large punches for the extraction and multiple hairs in some of the grafts. Her colleague, a nurse specializing in skin care, told me that it was still healing, and told me to wait it out, and maybe try microdermabrasion or PRP, but nothing more intensive. She said that it should be normal by Christmas, and since I am young and healthy, my skin will resolve itself.

This information seems to contrast what I read online from doctors about normal healing times of weeks to a few months. I am worried that I have “cobble-stoning” scars and permanent discoloration. I have seen minor improvement since my visit in September, but I am doubtful that I will be normal any time soon. The clinic in Turkey has offered little advise over WhatsApp, except for aloe vera and waiting.

Any advice or relevant experience would be greatly appreciated, as I am desperate for information! This is the biggest regret of my life and has caused me much shame and anxiety. I know it’s my fault, but I just want my face back. Has anyone ever seen/experienced my symptoms?

Will I ever be able to get a clean shaven look again, and should I pursue any treatment for the bumps and discoloration (steroid cream, bleaching, microdermabrasion, lasers)? I am hoping that if the discoloration disappears, the hairline will look better, but should I eventually consider some form of hair removal (laser, FUE, waxing, etc). I tried plucking individual hairs out, and that helped to make it look a bit more natural. Also, can I (if not now, when it’s better) tan to make the grayness/stubble less noticeable?

As a side question: I have also been concerned about overharvesting, especially with the larger punches they used. I have very thick hair, so there is nothing currently noticeable, but I am curious how short I can buzz my hair without the FUE extraction site showing?

Please let me know if you need me to upload additional pictures or info. Sorry for all of the questions and thank you very much for your help!

Would you link your page? I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jconley View Post
    Would you link your page? I don't see it.
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/album.php?albumid=1492

I just made you a contact, can you see the album now? I can send higher resolution pictures if needed. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/album.php?albumid=1492

I just made you a contact, can you see the album now? I can send higher resolution pictures if needed. Thank you!
    Thanks, I can see them! They're not very large but it's good enough to see what you're talking about.

I don't want to minimize what you're going through, but I think you look great in photos 1 and 7. In those two photos, you look like you've shaped your beard. A lot of guys want a look like that and you see models with the same look. I can't pick up on a color difference like what you describe -- not doubting you but the images don't show it well. I do know a lot of guys have somewhat different colored hair in their beards; it's naturally occurring and while noticeable it doesn't look "bad". I'm not sure your age but as you get older you'll get grey flecks etc and it's just something to get used to.

Is photo 3 after using a safety razor, cutting as close to the skin as you can? I agree with you that it looks unnatural there. If you could cut it closer, the contrast wouldn't be as visible but by the evening it might look like that again, so it's probably not a solution. I wonder if you could do some micropigmentation or possibly another light procedure just to add in some "blending" and make the lines less severe. Tanning seems like it would help too, because it would cut down on the contrast.

Your skin itself doesn't look that bad to me. I get razor burns and bumps like that after shaving. I also think with time more healing might occur. I've gone through skin changes and depending on what products I used on my face, a lot of variation occurred.

As for how short you can cut your hair, the only thought I have is this: buy a set of clippers with guards ($30 USD on Amazon for example) and shave your head with the longest guard, then go to the next one, and so on until you start to get a hint of it. I would think 1/2 inch length would be fine, that's the baseline for the FUT scar from what I've read and what I've experienced, and that scar is a lot more noticeable than FUE.

Honestly man, you don't look bad at all. Keep your head up, you'll get through this! Take care.

BTW, this is a former all-star U.S. football player with very shaped stubble -- it's a popular look here:

Hi bro , i have exactly the same problem , i am Real worry about this can you tell me how is your situation for you after 3 years?

Hey buddy, did the discoloration of your skin went away? I have the same problem, I'm at 3 weeks post op got beard transplant. I would really appreciate if you can reply with any experience that fixed your problem.