+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default My Finasteride Journey

Hi all,

I am 21 years old and just beginning my finasteride journey to try and treat my hair loss. My intention of joining the baldtruthtalk forum is simple (and rather selfish, I must admit); I intend to document and share my progress in this thread just so I have somewhere to talk about it firstly, but also for all those interested or curious about fin, particularly other lads experiencing hair loss at such a young age, and when I feel like I have achieved the results I have wanted (or lack thereof), I will part ways with the forum - I don't intend to linger around much longer than I need to and I am sure people can understand that.

Thus far, I am on day 5 of my regimen, but the way this will work is I will check in the thread at my own convenience with updates on my progress and whatever random sh*t I feel like talking about and I will probably lose track of the days. So, if anyone else finds it necessary to know how many days I am on, they can always find out by calculating the number of days from my last post to my initial post (including 5 days extra on top) but I honestly can't be asked and will just continue to update the thread at my own convenience irrespective of the actual days I have done. I want to keep this as informal as possible and have fun with it, I don't want to treat the whole process so religiously as that would feel like more of a chore than an adventure. Also, feel free to ask me all your questions, I promise I won't bite and obviously I will post pictures. In fact, just to put this out there, I am still a newb and not well versed with some of the different terminologies and stuff, I am more into gauging the quality of my hair visually than reading a textbook of terminologies, but I am willing to learn and educate myself more during my journey. So, please correct me if necessary.

My regimen:
    - Finasteride: 1mg/day
    - Minoxidil Liquid 5%: 2×/day
    - Nizoral: 4×/3-4week, then 2×/week

So this is how my hair looked like before I decided to cut it short. As you can see, I was pretty much losing all of it on top (diffuse thinning I think?), The overall thickness and density sucked and it was just taking forever to grow in the parts where it was still growing. Just before, I started taking fin, I decided you know what? Let me just cut it short. At first I was super scared because I didn't know how bad my hairline would look. But it turned out to look okay I guess. It doesn't look to be receding much from what I can tell. So I was quite pleased with that. However, you can clearly notice the balding and lack of density on top, even when I cut it short. So yeah, that's where I am currently starting at right now. I am probably just going to keep it short from now on. I just hope finasteride can regrow my hair and bald spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181106-121936_Gallery.jpg

Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	59608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181106_122127.jpg

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	59609  

Hi guys,

Just checking in after a week (or 8 days to be exact). Nothing much to report on really. Which makes sense because others have mentioned on the forum that it takes a year for fin to come into full effect. I still got a long way to go but the way I see it is, I am just glad to be a part of this process sooner rather than later and it really is a process' that's why I titled this thread 'my finasteride journey.' Sure, I could have started fin much earlier, I probably would have had a cool haircut but that's history. Realistically I don't know what to expect from fin but if I can maintain what I got, I would be happy because my hairline is not completely straight but it's not devastatingly bad either (NW2 I think). If I can maintain what I got from the regimen and use hair fibers, I think it would be a good enough look to get by in my day to day life. I am not really a big fan of hair transplants so I am not even considering one. I guess I will if my hairline recedes though. But yeah. Now I can checkout again.

Cheerio

It does look much better short. Being a young guy hopefully you'll be able to achieve some good results from the combination of fin and minoxidil. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffuse33 View Post
    It does look much better short. Being a young guy hopefully you'll be able to achieve some good results from the combination of fin and minoxidil. All the best.
    Thank you for passing by. I appreciate it.

Hi all,

So I am back with pretty much the same. I am following my routine carefully but there is nothing much to report really. But overall I am happy, I am happy that I started the big 3 as a preventative measure sooner rather than later while I still have some hair on my head. Although, right now I don't see any benefits as far as regrowth, I can certainly imagine that it is pretty much maintaining what I have already got. Though I'm not too sure because I don't really dwell on it anymore. You know, it's strange. I have pretty much not even been thinking of my hairloss recently, I have become comfortable with it and that's why I haven't bothered to report back to the forum as much as I would like to. Short hair is not my dream, I would much rather prefer to have my longer, lushious locks back, but it isn't so bad either. I mean, at least I'm not completely bald. But with that said, a part of me does want to get a hair transplant so that I can have the feeling of having my hair back. I know, previously I bashed hair transplants because I didn't find them all that appealing due to all the complications and in my view, the obvious lack of density, but I have changed my mind quite a lot as I come to think about these things more, and the fact that I have already took the leap and decision to take fin. So why not go a step further and get a hair transplant? I know what you are thinking, "ohh I thought you were comfortable with your hairloss then, so why do you want to risk getting a hair transplant?" Yeah, I guess that's one way of looking at it. The way I look at it though is, I don't need a hair transplant, I want a hair transplant. I think it will complement and add to my look that's all, just how I imagine going to the gym and working on my body will complement my look. But anyway, if I were to go through with the hair transplant, I would be as realistic about it as possible. I won't be looking to get a hair transplant in a year or two. More like 5-6 years with my continued use of fin. I hope then, perhaps my hairloss would stabilise (say about when I am 26yrs old) and hopefully then it would be somewhat of a successful job. Yeahhh, I know what some of you are thinking, I don't even have plans for the next two years let alone the next five, and I understand that. However, me personally, I am looking at things more in the long run now. That's why I post so infrequently, I can't be bothered with posting pictures and updates after 2-3 weeks of use when we all know fin takes much longer than that to work. And most importantly I don't stress over this anymore. I just let it be and it doesn't affect my life or social life whatsoever. So yeah.

Oh and obviously, the 5-6 year idea is also good for me because it allows enough time for a better alternative to hair transplants to come out, ALTHOUGH I AM NOT HOLDING MY BREATH ON IT, it is still within the realm of possibility. I really am not too concerned about the whole ordeal, actually I am quite looking forward to how my future will pan out. Call me crazy but hairloss is the last thing on my mind right now as a young man. Although, it is something that I would like to revisit at a later date and OVERCOME it. I see it as a battle. One that, I don't really mind losing, but I will play my hand to win. That's for sure.

Your hair looks good short and you have a great hairline, goodluck with your regimen and stick with it and I gurantee you will see some good results. Keep us posted!