+ Reply to Thread

Default Is finasteride dangerous for depression / anti-anxiety medication?

I was told this was the case and to avoid it. Curious to hear experiences. Anyone in the same position?

A side effect of fin can be change in mood, hence if you are already down and depressed I guess some doctors would advise against it (although my doctor said I could take both). I personally take fin and antidepressants (albeit a low dosage of sertaline) and have not experienced any adverse side effects or noticed an increase in my depression. Everyone is different, listen to your body. All the best.

That's good to know. Who should I go to to advise me? Apart from the GP are there clinics who can give me advice? I already went to Belgravia in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffuse33 View Post
    A side effect of fin can be change in mood, hence if you are already down and depressed I guess some doctors would advise against it (although my doctor said I could take both). I personally take fin and antidepressants (albeit a low dosage of sertaline) and have not experienced any adverse side effects or noticed an increase in my depression. Everyone is different, listen to your body. All the best.

Best to go and speak to your doctor, although I don't think there is much that they can say. A prudent one would probably advise you not to take it, others will probably say it's fine, but to just monitor your own situation. What aspect are you most worried about? a possibly bad interaction between both meds, or fin exacerbating your depression?

Yeah most worried about fin exacerbating it or causing weight gain. Trouble is, no-one seems to be able to give me straight info. Which is odd, no? I mean, fin has been around a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffuse33 View Post
    Best to go and speak to your doctor, although I don't think there is much that they can say. A prudent one would probably advise you not to take it, others will probably say it's fine, but to just monitor your own situation. What aspect are you most worried about? a possibly bad interaction between both meds, or fin exacerbating your depression?

I think it's because everybody responds differently so at most all they have is rough guidelines and the frequency of side effects is unknown. I don't think weight gain is a common side effect, anti depressants on the other hand quite regularly cause weight fluctuations as a side effect. If you're worried you could start with 0.25mg, then progress to 0.5 then finally the 1mg and see how you feel.