+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any evidence minoxidil 12.5% better than 5%? Starting my journey

Hey all. I'm new out here. 43 years old and staring down hair loss.

I went to a Belgravia clinic in August and was told to start minoxidil.

I waited. then in the last week noticed very severe hair loss at the vertex, so I kinda guess it is official.

I know propecia has great reviews but honestly the risks put me off. Focusing on minoxidil at the moment.

My question is, is it worth using minoxidil 12.5% that Belgravia sells, or is the 5% from Boots fine?

Looking for help starting this journey.

Start with the 5%. I have use the higher concentration and have seen no benefit and i don't think there is much supporting evidence for the higher concentration. You might also get better quality from Boots.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashmetalhead View Post
    Hey all. I'm new out here. 43 years old and staring down hair loss.

I went to a Belgravia clinic in August and was told to start minoxidil.

I waited. then in the last week noticed very severe hair loss at the vertex, so I kinda guess it is official.

I know propecia has great reviews but honestly the risks put me off. Focusing on minoxidil at the moment.

My question is, is it worth using minoxidil 12.5% that Belgravia sells, or is the 5% from Boots fine?

Looking for help starting this journey.
    i actually started with the 12.5% belgravia cream. for me higher minoxidil percentage yields greater results. i stopped using belgravia due to two reasons: 1: the cost is a rip off 2. i am sensitive two high doses. i currently just use regaine foam and the results arent as good. i grew a full thick afro on 12.5%.

as you are starting i would agree that 5%would be the best angle to start. i have found pharmica the cheapest price for 3 pack of foam or liquid on the internet.

good luck.

Hey I was a user of the 12.5% Belgravia cream plus their 5% with progesterone I’m based in London. I now use 15% lotion/cream from America pharmacy which is fraction way cheaper and works the same with more ingredients.

Check here:
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...%21?highlight=

Thank you both of you for your answers. Please can you explain why I should start with 5%? Surely it is better to start with the higher dose so I can grow more hair? Is it to see how to tolerate it?

Maybe you can point me to some website so I can get clear answers.

Going from 5 to 10 percent doesn't mean you will grow twice as much hair. You may see minimal growth over the 5 percent but why not start at 5% and see if it works first. I have used the higher concentrations and got dandruff and you are sacrificing quality control. I know when i buy a brand name i'm getting what i paid for and a consistent concentration. I got great results when i started using rogaine at 5% but its effectiveness slows over time and that is when you can try to up the dosage.

Thank you mrclean.

Where is a good place to read an overview of options?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    Going from 5 to 10 percent doesn't mean you will grow twice as much hair. You may see minimal growth over the 5 percent but why not start at 5% and see if it works first. I have used the higher concentrations and got dandruff and you are sacrificing quality control. I know when i buy a brand name i'm getting what i paid for and a consistent concentration. I got great results when i started using rogaine at 5% but its effectiveness slows over time and that is when you can try to up the dosage.

I would just search this forum, people here have tried just about everything and they know what works. You won't find a clinical trial for results on 12% vs 5% Minoxidil because it doesn't exist. There is some date going from 2% to 5%. Propecia is very safe and if you wait you will never get that hair back that you lose. I think less than 2% of people have side effect but you can always find those people on the internet with a nightmare story.

I wanted to do propecia but was told it was risky on those with a history of depression or on anti-anxiety medication. Maybe I could go see a dr who can tell me more?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    I would just search this forum, people here have tried just about everything and they know what works. You won't find a clinical trial for results on 12% vs 5% Minoxidil because it doesn't exist. There is some date going from 2% to 5%. Propecia is very safe and if you wait you will never get that hair back that you lose. I think less than 2% of people have side effect but you can always find those people on the internet with a nightmare story.

Never heard of that but go see a urologist to make sure.