+ Reply to Thread

Default Fears That I Have About HT

I'm currently in the process of getting my first 2200 graft FUE and I'm filled with many conflicting feelings. The more time I have spent on here researching the more I realise that not everyone gets a good results we see on the surgeons websites. Many people need multiple HT's despite only being Norwood 3s.

My fears and doubts:
    1. The results may be disappointing and I wont get density on my hairline

.2. I damage my donor hair.

3. Choosing the right surgeon (all the surgeons I've spoken to have amhrs certification, so no cowboys, but its still hard to know who to choose).

4. Cost: its using up nearly all my savings (not much anyone can do to reassure me on this - if the success was for certain I wouldn't care

5. I could continue to bald after my transplant, making my transplanted hair look weird

6. Looking really bad for four to six months during recovery.

7. Judgement from friends, partner, and workmates if they can tell I've had a HT.

Anyone else have similar fears? Anyone else with advice?

All points valid . Ever think about buzzing it first and see if you can live with that

I've buzzed before and it looks okay, but it doesn't feel like me. I feel like I look like someone else.

Inactive

All of those fears and concerns are valid, and I guarantee you you're not alone.

Manage your expectations in terms of what's possible, as what's possible varies from person to person depending on many factors. If your expectations are reasonable, you'll set yourself up for success. Trust that if you do your research, ask lots of questions, speak to former patients of the surgeon you choose, and make sure that they provide consistent, solid results, your odds of getting a satisfactory result increase exponentially. Any cosmetic procedure comes with risks and there are no guarantees (no matter what anyone tells you), but there is definitely a way to increase your odds by doing the things mentioned above. Also keep in mind that there is no "right" surgeon. After all the research and consultations, trust your gut and choose the surgeon that feels most "right" for you.

In regards to your savings, financing is generally an option. I took out a loan from my bank and pay around $200/month with practically no interest. Depending on your credit, you should have options like this as well.

You will most likely continue to bald after your HT. Hair loss is progressive, and it's rare to be a one and done patient. Plan accordingly. A good surgeon will take this into account.

Within a month, your hair will be back to normal, so I wouldn't say that you'll look "really bad" for 4-6 months. In fact, the best case scenario is that you see significant progress by month 4. Just don't expect and set yourself up for disappointment should you be a later grower.

Any fear of perceived judgments of friends and coworkers is an opportunity for you to look at the deeper insecurities lying underneath that fear. Fear of being rejected, mocked, not liked... The truth is that we can't control what other people think, so it's unfair for you to hold yourself back from doing something that would make you happy and benefit you based on what others might think. What I've found is that the reality of other people's reactions/judgments is typically much smaller/nonexistent than our fears would have us believe. Most people won't even think twice. I also found that when I was open and honest with people about it, they were excited for me and intrigued... And I actually have two coworkers now openly talking about taking time off to get a HT and everyone is extremely supportive.

Hope that's of some support.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    How old are you?
    I had the same question. It makes a big difference IMO.