+ Reply to Thread

Default Strongly considering the artificial hair route...

Hello to all.

Last year I joined this site and I was using minoxidil and a derma-roller. I have since given up on that and stopped taking Biotin as well. In short, I just quit the hair loss fight.

Since, then I don't think my hair loss has gotten any worse. I selected a different hair style, and comb my hair forward to conceal my fading hairline. It's not the style I want, but out of the ones I can pull off, its the one I'll settle for. If it has, it isn't noticeable. However, I still long for my hair. I can't get myself to jump on board with the transplant route. Mainly, because I can't afford it, and I fear the hair would just fall out again, resulting in a major waste of money.

So, I've been looking into buying a wig. I guess that's a blunt way of stating it, but I've come to terms with it. Once upon a time this idea was an absolute no for me, but I think I'm warming up to it, especially if it will help me feel normal again and regain my self confidence. I checked into the local hair replacement system, but their prices are too steep for me as well. But I found that you can buy the wig and accessories (adhesive, etc) online and do this yourself.

I have a couple of concerns:

1) If you use adhesive, what's it like taking a shower? Which brings me to my next question...
    2) I have dry scalp/dandruff. I use H&S, which keeps it under control. How would this affect it?
    3) How strong is the adhesive? Can I still be active, or is my wig going to fall off while I'm rolling around on a mat in the gym?

Any advice is appreciated.

"1) If you use adhesive, what's it like taking a shower? Which brings me to my next question...
    2) I have dry scalp/dandruff. I use H&S, which keeps it under control. How would this affect it?
    3) How strong is the adhesive? Can I still be active, or is my wig going to fall off while I'm rolling around on a mat in the gym?"

Answers:
    1 & 3. As long as your attachment is good, showering is not an issue. I workout 7 days/week. On 2 days I do a one mile swim following by a shower which includes a shampoo. May attachment is as strong after the swim/shampoo as it is before the swim/shampoo. The key is to find the best adhesive that works for you. Some people use all tape or all liquid adhesive. I use a combination of each which is common among those who wear a hair piece. I also have over 10 years of experience. The hair piece is not going to fall of during physical exercise.
    2. H&S will not be an issue. I use an off the shelf shampoo. No reason to buy expensive shampoos that "supposedly" are for hair pieces. You will want to use a high quality conditioner.

Online is the way to go. You do not need an expensive salon. I strongly suggest that you do some reading about hair pieces. These two links will get you started:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nort...bies-t883.html
    http://www.hairdirect.com/default.aspx At the top of the link is a tab titled "LEARN."

Thank you so much for the advice lvlace!

I think this is the route I want to go. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Sure. Do an update when you make a decision or have a question.

Hey lvlace, i have read that swimming is not possible in a hair system without damaging it...are you swimming in salt water or chlorine? Do you have any tips?

You can swim in either. Maybe just shower straight after.

Ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joebloggs View Post
    Hey lvlace, i have read that swimming is not possible in a hair system without damaging it...are you swimming in salt water or chlorine? Do you have any tips?
    I swim in a 25m lap pool, chlorinated water.
    Tips: Learn to perform a good attachment. I use a combo of tape and liquid adhesive. I also wear a silicon cap (same type worn by competitors). The hair still gets wet because the water wicks up under the cap. However, a cap eliminates agitation (as in a washing machine). Instead the hair soaks in the water which puts less stress on the hairpiece.

In a average month I swim 9+miles.

Great, thank you.

I only swim very occasionally at the pool or beach with friends and i am such a wuss that i never stay in long as i get cold. However I want to take my 2 year old swimming and don't want to miss out on spending time in the water with him.

Thanks again