+ Reply to Thread

Default Scheduled for a hair transplant but starting to have second thoughts.

Hello everyone,
    First of all, I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to read through my post as I'm in real need of opinions of whether I should follow through with my scheduled hair transplant or not.

Let me explain my situation. I'm 28 years old and have a receding hairline on the front of my head. Based on the Norwood scale I would say that my hairline is currently somewhere between the level 2 and 3. Judging by my older brothers and father, my hairline is likely to continue to recede on the forehead. It will however (hopefully) take many years before I start seeing any clear signs hair disappearing on the crown also, as I've just recently started noticing it on my father which is now 70.
    I've been thinking about doing a hair transplant for over a year now, as it would clearly improve my appearance if successful, and I've finally decided to book a hair transplant which is scheduled in the beginning of next year. I'm light skin with dark blond hair, and the hair in my donor area is very thick (self-judged). If I've understood correctly, this is quite beneficial for a hair transplant. Could anyone confirm this?

However now that I finally booked the hair transplant, things got so real all of a sudden. The of seriousness of the situation has really hit me, and I've really started questioning my choice. I would therefore highly appreciate the opinions of others who have been in a similar situation, and the opinion of people that have gone through a hair transplant, to get more clarity of whether I should follow through with my transplant or not.

The thing is, even though my hair is between the level 2 and 3 on the scale, I'm actually quite satisfied with my current hairline. It's definitely not terrible. Sure, it's not perfect, but then again, I'll never have a perfect hairline. To be honest I'm not sure if that is something I would like to strive for either, as ageing is something I think we all must just learn to accept. Even though my current hairline has definitely had an impact on my self-esteem, it's not a significant one and my general self-esteem is quite high. I like myself and how I look.

What I'm however really worried about is how I my hair will look in the future if I don't do a transplant, and I'm afraid that this will seriously impact my future self-esteem. A big part of actually going through with the hair transplant would therefore be as a precaution for the future. Maybe I should just do the transplant now before it's too late when I'm still quite happy with my hair, and not wait until I become unsatisfied and it really starts effecting my life.

Therefore, the main reasons I would go through with my hair transplant is mainly because of cosmetic reasons, and as precautionary actions before it's too late.

One thing I should add is that I've not tried any medications against hair loss instead of a transplant as I'm really skeptical towards it, due to questionable results, and especially since I'm very afraid of the potential side effects.

I'm just questioning whether potential upside outweighs the downside. The benefits if the transplant is successful is definitely huge, but it comes at a price. The recovery period of up to 12-18 months seems very harsh. Even though I'm pretty sure I could handle it, I'm starting to question if the potential results are worth it.
    Another concern is the scaring (I'm considering FUE). One thing that brings me comfort now before I've done any surgery is: If my hair gets really bad in the future, I could just buzz it all off. If I go through with a surgery, this would not be an option as the scaring could be severe.

The timing of the scheduled hair transplant is also both positive and negative. I'm moving abroad the first 6 months after my hair transplant is scheduled. My research has shown me that the first 6 months after a transplant are very difficult, and definitely nothing that should be taken lightly.
    The positive part about moving abroad, is that I will have no face to face contact with anyone I currently know, which definitely would help. I will have no real obligations either and will be able to wear a ball cap most of the time.
    The negative part however is that I can imagine that during these first 6 months, you feel as you want to avoid going out and meet people as much as possible. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? This would be quite disappointing to me, as I of course would want to go out and meet new people when I'm in a new country.

A side note is that the money spent for a transplantation is nothing you need to take into consideration if you want to give me any recommendations. I'm more then ok to spend this kind of money for improving myself if it is the right thing to do.

To summarize the post, I'm unsure if I'm a good candidate for a hair transplant or not. People often describe that you should only do a hair transplant as a last resort. Many seem to do a hair transplant as a cure to a very low self-esteem.
    I'm obviously not in those categories. I don't see a hair transplant as a fix to low self-esteem and would mainly be doing the transplant for cosmetic reasons. Because of this I might be a bad candidate for a hair transplant. To be quite frank: Maybe I'm still too young and foolish to even consider this.
    But this is perhaps also is why I'm a good candidate. I don't believe that a hair transplant would solve all my problems. I'm definitely not aiming for a dream of a perfect hairline. That kind of mindset is a mindset I can already tell would never make me satisfied. Perhaps given my more realistic mindset, the benefits of a transplant outweigh the negatives.

Since I'm so indecisive of what’s best to do, I would be more than grateful if you have any suggestions or insights that would like to share with me! As this is a decision that will form my future life, I'm very grateful for anything you might make me consider.

Thank you very in advance.

This is a novel dude. Cut it down to a few lines with pictures if you want anybody to read it. I didn't, but will if you try again. Good luck.

I read some more. Who are you having your transplant with? I think it's highly questionable that a clinic would take your case given your history here.

I'd really recommend you do more research regarding hair loss.All the questions you ask are out there and answered many times over. But in brief, surgery is by definition a last resort. You shouldn't get one to "maintain" your look. Rather, you take medication- minoxidol, finesteride, topical ketoconazole. These medications don't regrow hair, they stop you from losing it. Evidence is lacking, but think about it. You can't design a study to measure this kind of result. If you are happy with your hair, there is no downside to waiting a few years to get a hair transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by tableman View Post
    Hello everyone,
    First of all, I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to read through my post as I'm in real need of opinions of whether I should follow through with my scheduled hair transplant or not.

Let me explain my situation. I'm 28 years old and have a receding hairline on the front of my head. Based on the Norwood scale I would say that my hairline is currently somewhere between the level 2 and 3. Judging by my older brothers and father, my hairline is likely to continue to recede on the forehead. It will however (hopefully) take many years before I start seeing any clear signs hair disappearing on the crown also, as I've just recently started noticing it on my father which is now 70.
    I've been thinking about doing a hair transplant for over a year now, as it would clearly improve my appearance if successful, and I've finally decided to book a hair transplant which is scheduled in the beginning of next year. I'm light skin with dark blond hair, and the hair in my donor area is very thick (self-judged). If I've understood correctly, this is quite beneficial for a hair transplant. Could anyone confirm this?

However now that I finally booked the hair transplant, things got so real all of a sudden. The of seriousness of the situation has really hit me, and I've really started questioning my choice. I would therefore highly appreciate the opinions of others who have been in a similar situation, and the opinion of people that have gone through a hair transplant, to get more clarity of whether I should follow through with my transplant or not.

The thing is, even though my hair is between the level 2 and 3 on the scale, I'm actually quite satisfied with my current hairline. It's definitely not terrible. Sure, it's not perfect, but then again, I'll never have a perfect hairline. To be honest I'm not sure if that is something I would like to strive for either, as ageing is something I think we all must just learn to accept. Even though my current hairline has definitely had an impact on my self-esteem, it's not a significant one and my general self-esteem is quite high. I like myself and how I look.

What I'm however really worried about is how I my hair will look in the future if I don't do a transplant, and I'm afraid that this will seriously impact my future self-esteem. A big part of actually going through with the hair transplant would therefore be as a precaution for the future. Maybe I should just do the transplant now before it's too late when I'm still quite happy with my hair, and not wait until I become unsatisfied and it really starts effecting my life.

Therefore, the main reasons I would go through with my hair transplant is mainly because of cosmetic reasons, and as precautionary actions before it's too late.

One thing I should add is that I've not tried any medications against hair loss instead of a transplant as I'm really skeptical towards it, due to questionable results, and especially since I'm very afraid of the potential side effects.

I'm just questioning whether potential upside outweighs the downside. The benefits if the transplant is successful is definitely huge, but it comes at a price. The recovery period of up to 12-18 months seems very harsh. Even though I'm pretty sure I could handle it, I'm starting to question if the potential results are worth it.
    Another concern is the scaring (I'm considering FUE). One thing that brings me comfort now before I've done any surgery is: If my hair gets really bad in the future, I could just buzz it all off. If I go through with a surgery, this would not be an option as the scaring could be severe.

The timing of the scheduled hair transplant is also both positive and negative. I'm moving abroad the first 6 months after my hair transplant is scheduled. My research has shown me that the first 6 months after a transplant are very difficult, and definitely nothing that should be taken lightly.
    The positive part about moving abroad, is that I will have no face to face contact with anyone I currently know, which definitely would help. I will have no real obligations either and will be able to wear a ball cap most of the time.
    The negative part however is that I can imagine that during these first 6 months, you feel as you want to avoid going out and meet people as much as possible. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? This would be quite disappointing to me, as I of course would want to go out and meet new people when I'm in a new country.

A side note is that the money spent for a transplantation is nothing you need to take into consideration if you want to give me any recommendations. I'm more then ok to spend this kind of money for improving myself if it is the right thing to do.

To summarize the post, I'm unsure if I'm a good candidate for a hair transplant or not. People often describe that you should only do a hair transplant as a last resort. Many seem to do a hair transplant as a cure to a very low self-esteem.
    I'm obviously not in those categories. I don't see a hair transplant as a fix to low self-esteem and would mainly be doing the transplant for cosmetic reasons. Because of this I might be a bad candidate for a hair transplant. To be quite frank: Maybe I'm still too young and foolish to even consider this.
    But this is perhaps also is why I'm a good candidate. I don't believe that a hair transplant would solve all my problems. I'm definitely not aiming for a dream of a perfect hairline. That kind of mindset is a mindset I can already tell would never make me satisfied. Perhaps given my more realistic mindset, the benefits of a transplant outweigh the negatives.

Since I'm so indecisive of what’s best to do, I would be more than grateful if you have any suggestions or insights that would like to share with me! As this is a decision that will form my future life, I'm very grateful for anything you might make me consider.

Thank you very in advance.
    hi....

before going to opt a hair transplant, one must consider some factors like the method of transplant with cost consideration, experienced surgeon for natural results and etc. Another important question is are you a good candidate for hair transplant. To be a good candidate for hair transplant one must have a considerable expectation. Second, you must have a good donor area.

As you are at age 28, you must wait for some time. Go to the best hair transplant clinic. Get a consultation, the doctor will recommend you medicine to stabilize your hair loss. If hair loss persists then you can opt for a hair transplant.