+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia Side Effects Continuing Five Weeks after Discontinuation

Hi guys!

I have a very worrying issue and would be most grateful for any feedback I receive.

I am in my mid-twenties and live a very active lifestyle, I started taking finasteride in February. My dosage was 0.5mg per day. However, I noticed that I was experiencing side effects whilst on finasteride. These were: significantly 'weaker' erections and to get a stronger erection I would require physical stimulation, a decrease in the frequency and 'strength' of spontaneous erections, a decrease in the frequency and 'strength' of morning erections and I also noticed that my face looked bloated. Thus, at the end of August, after consulting my doctor, I stopped taking finasteride. I reduced the dosage to 0.25mg per day in the last week before stopping completely.

However, one week after stopping, I noticed that all of my side effects were continuing. So, I saw my doctor again and they said that I shouldn't be worried and that it can take around a month for the side effects to go.

Now, however, five weeks have passed since I stopped taking finasteride but I am still experiencing all of the side effects of it.

Is this normal and usually how long does it take for the side effects to cease after discontinuing the medication? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the side effects faster?

Many thanks in advance.

Only a small group of people have side effects after stopping. The drug should be out of your system by now but everyone is different. Give it some more time there is not much else you can do.

How is it going? Any progress? How soon after starting Fin have rhe sides started?

Hi, unfortunately there has not been much progress as far as I am aware. I would say that the side effects started a few months into taking finasteride. Having consulted several people, I was told that the side effects should eventually go with time but a few months later still, they did not. Hence, I stopped taking finasteride completely. Do you have any advice? Thank you

Wait so can you be more specific? My understanding is that you've started Propecia (is the brand or generic?) at 1mg/day and that several months later you've started having sides. Then you went to .25 for a week or so then totally quit (beginning of September this year), right?

And to this day, after quitting for almost 3 months, there hasn't been an improvement to your sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Manochoice View Post
    Wait so can you be more specific? My understanding is that you've started Propecia (is the brand or generic?) at 1mg/day and that several months later you've started having sides. Then you went to .25 for a week or so then totally quit (beginning of September this year), right?

And to this day, after quitting for almost 3 months, there hasn't been an improvement to your sides?
    I was on generic propecia for 0.5mg/day and after a few months I noticed the side effects. A few months later i.e. 6 months after I started taking it, I still had the side effects so reduced the dose to 0.25mg/day for just one week and stopped it completely. And yes, 3 months after quitting, there has not been any real improvement as far as I am aware.

I'm sorry to hear that. I am not a finasteride user (still debating after months of "researching") but of what I've read so far, for some people it can take longer to get rid of sides. In some places I've read that it can sometimes take as long as you had sides to actually get rid of them (so, let's say you had sides for 6 months, it can take six months to recover). There has (and still is) a thing going on the internet about a so called cd nuts protocol. I am not sure exactly what is about but maybe you want to google about it.

Do you or did you use minoxidil? Because moon face normally it's from minoxidil.

I would recommend you do the stamp test and see if you have any nocturnal erections. If you have them, there is a possibility there might be a psychological reason for which you have ED symptoms (if you have nocturnal erections it could mean that your wiring and physical aspect is working). If you do not how to do the stamp test check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQplgWAbTtg

Quote Originally Posted by Manochoice View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I am not a finasteride user (still debating after months of "researching") but of what I've read so far, for some people it can take longer to get rid of sides. In some places I've read that it can sometimes take as long as you had sides to actually get rid of them (so, let's say you had sides for 6 months, it can take six months to recover). There has (and still is) a thing going on the internet about a so called cd nuts protocol. I am not sure exactly what is about but maybe you want to google about it.

Do you or did you use minoxidil? Because moon face normally it's from minoxidil.

I would recommend you do the stamp test and see if you have any nocturnal erections. If you have them, there is a possibility there might be a psychological reason for which you have ED symptoms (if you have nocturnal erections it could mean that your wiring and physical aspect is working). If you do not how to do the stamp test check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQplgWAbTtg
    Thank you. No, I didn't use minoxidil.

Hey man, definitely do that stamp test! I think it is impportant to know this aspect.

Also, I've read many times that some people have seen improvement in sides with daily intake of 15mg Zinc and Niagen (a form of B3 vitamin). Also, intense physical activity of 45-60 mins daily.

You should probably plan on seeing a doctor as well as have a blood test for you testosterone, DHT, estrogen etc.

Keep us posted with your progress! All the good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by starnight View Post
    I was on generic propecia for 0.5mg/day and after a few months I noticed the side effects. A few months later i.e. 6 months after I started taking it, I still had the side effects so reduced the dose to 0.25mg/day for just one week and stopped it completely. And yes, 3 months after quitting, there has not been any real improvement as far as I am aware.
    have you recovered?