+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah . . . although the sticker shock is high . . . I think considering the risks involved in a procedure that doesn't go PERFECTLY, it may be worth it. Even if I went somewhere else that did a good job, it it's not exactly perfect, then I've failed as a smart consumer. $14,400 to look how I would like to for potentially the rest of my life, or at least a good several years . . . could be worth it.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree. Often prices are relative based on the area where the clinic is located. For example, in New York prices would be much higher than in smaller less populated areas of the country. Some would say you get what you pay for. If it is too cheap there is probably a reason. If insurance did not pay for cancer treatment, you would not go to the cheapest clinic.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I agree. Often prices are relative based on the area where the clinic is located. For example, in New York prices would be much higher than in smaller less populated areas of the country. Some would say you get what you pay for. If it is too cheap there is probably a reason. If insurance did not pay for cancer treatment, you would not go to the cheapest clinic.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
    I just received a consultation with IAHRS surgeon in Pasadena, CA (Dr. Paul McAndrews) at $9 per graft. I don't need very many . . . he recommended 1,600 . . . but that totals $14,400!! I was expecting it to be expensive, but that's over TWICE what I was considering paying.

Is that too much to spend? I was impressed with the facilities and think this guy could do a great job. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag and want to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

I think you could get just as good quality work for cheaper if you research enough.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

It is true that sometimes if you are willing to travel there is a good chance that you can find other very good surgeons to do similar surgeries at more discounted prices.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

In the United States five dollars to $10 a graft is pretty typical. You will pay more on the coasts then you will in other parts of the country.

If someone goes to India and experiences malpractice, how does he obtain restitution? Because if he cannot or cannot practically obtain restitution, then there is a lack of accountability on the part of the surgeons--i.e., they'd be free to mess you up without penalty.

FUE should be about $6 graft in the US. You will find doctors will discount their prices. I researched many doctors in California including Beverly Hills. In the end I went to a doctor who gave me a flat rate for the procedure. The goal was to cover the ares needed covering, but not to obtain a certain number of grafts. Per graft it would have been about $6.50 in the end. I found this to be the best way as the doctor was not encouraged to take hair just to reach a number.

If you stick with a number of grafts, you also have doctors splitting grafts to make a number.